*Guess the Movie Title*

Started by arj0n, Fri 29/07/2011 13:54:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 18/04/2015 21:55:10
"movie 6 friends jump on the water and can't return to the boat"

Should've called the movie "Six Darwin Award Winners"...

I mean...seriously...For the whole movie I would be thinking "Good riddance!"...

Domino

Open Water 2: Adrift is correct. I actually liked this movie, and is on Netflix right now.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Cassiebsg

ROFL (laugh)

But wrong. ;)

Okay, no other guesses? Here's a new clue then. (roll)

[IMGzoom]http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww258/Cassiebsg/Misc/guessmovie_2a.png[/IMGzoom]

Cassiebsg

Uhm... no guesses? :-\

Here's another clue then, this one is a pretty big clue! (nod)

Gribbler

Until the end of the world?

Cassiebsg

Believe it or not, Lisbon isn't at the end of the world. (laugh) So, no.

Okay... clues: It's written & directed by W.W. and it's from 1994.

Dead on clue:
Spoiler

Part of the title's name is written on the postcard.
[close]

Quintaros

I guess it's Wim Wenders' A Lisbon Story".

Cassiebsg

Quintaros

Well you pretty much gave away the store with clues on that one.

Here's mine:

Quintaros

Here's another image from the same movie:

Snarky

Hmm, that looks like it might be Catch 22?

Quintaros

Snarky

Cool.

This is a film I vividly remember seeing at my local movie theater as a kid:

Quintaros

Is it Shipwrecked?  Of course, you say you vividly remember it and I can just barely remember it, so maybe not.

Snarky

It is! Starring the great Gabriel Byrne. Though in Norway it's called Haakon Haakonsen.

And being a Norwegian co-production, I'm sure it was a much bigger deal where I grew up than it was in Canada. (Unless I'm completely misremembering, I think we took a class trip to the cinema to see it.)

In fact, the bit I remember most vividly isn't even in the movie, but only in the book: A guy shipwrecked on a reef builds a raft just out of the bodies of dead sharks he hunts with only a knife, tied together with shark guts. Now that's a kickass adventure game puzzle!

Quintaros

Back in 1990, I was a cyncial kid and resisted seeing anything released under the Disney banner. I recall watching this one under duress and only begrudgingly admitting it was pretty good afterwards. I had completely forgotten of its existence until today but as soon as I looked it up on IMDB and saw that it had a Norwegian connection I thought I might be on the right track.

What year was the book written?  Was Alan Moore riffing on it when he included the raft scene from Tales of the Black Freighter comic in Watchmen?

Snarky

The book was originally published in 1873, as a pretty typical robinsonade (the subtitle is simply "A Norwegian Robinson"). I don't think it's ever been translated into English, so the chance of Moore having read it is pretty negligible. More likely it's just a matter of having a similar idea independently â€" unless they're both based on some other source (real-life or fictional).

The novel is out of copyright and available here in epub format (in Norwegian). The scene in question is in the chapter "Howell og Nelsons mannskap."

Snarky

It's technically Quintaros' turn, but since he hasn't jumped in I'll throw out another one:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk