Can you solve this riddle?

Started by Renodox, Fri 09/11/2012 07:04:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Some kind of trailer truck?

heltenjon

Mandle

RootBound

This isn't the answer I'm sure since it all feels like a stretch, but: a horse pulling a cart?

Two pointing up = the heads of the horse and the driver. Eight pointing down = the horse's four legs plus the cart's four wheels. Two showing the way to town = two blinders on the horse. One dragging behind = the cart itself?
They/them. Here are some of my games:

heltenjon

Quote from: RootBound on Mon 25/09/2023 13:53:31This isn't the answer I'm sure since it all feels like a stretch, but: a horse pulling a cart?

Two pointing up = the heads of the horse and the driver. Eight pointing down = the horse's four legs plus the cart's four wheels. Two showing the way to town = two blinders on the horse. One dragging behind = the cart itself?
Close. This could have been the correct answer if the riddlemakers had thought of it that way.

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 25/09/2023 13:25:53A squid?
Not so close.  ;)

heltenjon

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 24/09/2023 18:09:24Two pointing up, four eight pointing down,
two showing the way to town,
and one dragging behind.

Bump! Hint: It's indeed an animal.

Creamy

I was thinking about:
Spoiler
an hermit crab. According to Nausicaa they have eight legs (pointing down), two claws (pointing to town because...reasons), two antennas (pointing up) and a stolen shell dragging behind.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Creamy on Sun 08/10/2023 09:42:49I was thinking about:
Spoiler
an hermit crab. According to Nausicaa they have eight legs (pointing down), two claws (pointing to town because...reasons), two antennas (pointing up) and a stolen shell dragging behind.
[close]
That's an even better solution than the correct one!  8-0

This is an old riddle from Norwegian agrarian culture.

RootBound

Is it an ox pulling a cart? As with my previous guess, the eight pointing down are the four legs and four wheels, the cart is the one dragging behind, the two pointing up are the ears. The two pointing the way to town would be the ox horns.

heltenjon

Quote from: RootBound on Sun 08/10/2023 13:56:29Is it an ox pulling a cart? As with my previous guess, the eight pointing down are the four legs and four wheels, the cart is the one dragging behind, the two pointing up are the ears. The two pointing the way to town would be the ox horns.
This is about as close as you get without solving it.
Spoiler
The answer is the animal only, no cart or wagon.
[close]

RootBound

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 08/10/2023 14:23:32
Spoiler
[close]

Then why 8 pointing down?

heltenjon

Quote from: RootBound on Sun 08/10/2023 15:30:15
Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 08/10/2023 14:23:32
Spoiler
[close]

Then why 8 pointing down?
:-D  :-D  :-D 
Spoiler
Forget about the ears.
[close]
Spoiler
I don't know if I should milk this riddle very much longer.
[close]
Spoiler
If it's not one thing, then it's ...
[close]

heltenjon

Ah! I see what I wrote can be a bit unclear. It's not an ox, either.

Stupot

Thanks to your clues. It's...

Spoiler
A cow!

Two horns pointing up, a tail behind, and 4 legs and 4 teats of the udder pointing down. As for the two pointing forward... could be eyes?
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 09/10/2023 09:12:30Thanks to your clues. It's...

Spoiler
A cow!

Two horns pointing up, a tail behind, and 4 legs and 4 teats of the udder pointing down. As for the two pointing forward... could be eyes?
[close]
Absolutely correct!  (nod)  (nod)

cat

This reminds me of: How many legs does a cow have?

Spoiler
12 - 2 on the front, 2 on the back, 2 on the left, 2 on the right, an one on each corner.
[close]

Stupot

Haha @cat That is so silly, I love it.

mkennedy

Here's an original riddle/pun I made up.
"What is the name of a sacred chili pepper?"

TheFrighter

RootBound

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk