Name the Game

Started by frenzykitty, Wed 17/04/2013 17:17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

Nice game Captain :)

here's something to think about a little..

Amayirot Akago

It's the old master guy from Budokan, is it not?
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

AnasAbdin

well well.. I cropped and flipped the image and yet Amayirot got it  8-0
Quickest couple of rounds ever.

Amayirot Akago

I played a fair bit of Budokan in my youth ;) Though I was never especially good at it.

[imgzoom]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57502026/mrt.png[/imgzoom]
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

CaptainD

Amayirot Akago

Holy cabbages, that was fast! Yes, you're absolutely correct. Your turn, brainiac ;)

CaptainD

Quote from: Amayirot Akago on Tue 05/04/2016 07:28:53
Holy cabbages, that was fast! Yes, you're absolutely correct. Your turn, brainiac ;)

Ha well I feel a bit better now after all my wrong guesses and mis-remembers! :-D

Okay, so keeping on a theme...

[imgzoom]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7Mp6Sb-Vu5g/VwNqPN2FaYI/AAAAAAAAlDw/7Zpy-tnNThMggHyTEUVGsTVkASLeYAjEg/s1600/NTG2.png[/imgzoom]

CaptainD

Okay how about another one?  There's actually something in this that may well give it away instantly to those who've played the game...

[imgzoom]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IBj1nWfSmiE/VwTBZYxcIoI/AAAAAAAAlEk/qmytVZ0Pe0gGR9wWzsApvO5-RkWViMSQA/s1600/NTG3.png[/imgzoom]

Tbf I didn't actually realise this one had come out on the dear old Speccy until I looked it up, thought it was purely a 16-bit release.

HINT:
Spoiler
This is the sequel to a game that was very well known on the Spectrum
[close]

Danvzare

Elite 2?
Although I don't think that was ever released for the Spectrum.

Atavismus

I also thought to Elite, but the HUD is different.
I guess it's Starglider 2.

CaptainD

Yup it's Starglider 2.   I had it on the Atari ST, actually pretty stunned that they ever made a Speccy version of it.  (The thing that I thought might give it away was the planet name "Apogee" - weirdly that's something I remember from all those years ago, that and the novella which game packaged with the game, and the fact that I was utterly useless and navigating those tunnels under the planet surface!)

Elite 2: Frontier pushed the 16-bits pretty hard, I don't think they could have done it on the 8-bits without scaling it down so much that it made it pointless.

Amayirot Akago

Ah, darn. I had a suspicion it was Starglider but didn't bother to look it up or anything.

Still, the first game did have a pretty sweet opening theme on the Atari ST :D

[embed=601,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAVqOBCHxkM[/embed]

Atavismus

Danvzare

Is it Star Control?
Or perhaps Starflight?

Atavismus

Not bad but no, nothing with "star".

CaptainD

I don't think it is, but just because it's a space game that never got an ST version so I never got to play it, I'm going to say Deutros.

(Man Millenium 2.2 was a pretty awesome game...)

Atavismus

It's not Deuteros and it's not a strategy game.
As you guessed, it's an Amiga game (there is a PC version too).
Hope it will help. :)

Danvzare

Huh, I never would have guessed that this was an Amiga game (I love that machine). I personally thought it was a Mega Drive game.

Hmm, is it Whale's Voyage?

Atavismus

Yes Danvzare, it's Whale's Voyage (and yes, I'm a huge Amiga fan :D).
It's a Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawler with a space exploration theme.

Well done, your turn! :)

Danvzare

Because I couldn't guess any of the Spectrum games and also because there's a Spectrum game I wanted to put up here at the time everyone was posting Spectrum games, I'm going to continue with the Spectrum theme.

I've cropped a bit from the top, and a fair amount from the bottom, because they give the title away.
In my next screenshot, I'll probably just blur those parts that give the title away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk