Name the Game

Started by frenzykitty, Wed 17/04/2013 17:17:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Amayirot Akago

Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

Mandle

Pervert Simulator?

CaptainD

Amayirot Akago

Aw, and I was hoping for at least one Spy VS Spy response :D But CaptainD got it.
Quote from: CaptainDMy suspicion is that an accident, probably caused by a lightning storm and a mad professor, resulted in Amayirot's brain becoming inextricably linked to the databases behind MobyGames and LemonAmiga.

CaptainD

Yay I got one!  Feels like a long time. :-D

Okay here's one... seems obvious but... is it as obvious as you think it is?  I wonder...

[imgzoom]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LiVTe4oVqBE/WCBdLb-G_lI/AAAAAAAAnYU/kgXhriajsZwTElx5Vg5HwzQT90VspYKbQCLcB/s1600/screenshot%2B7.11.16.gif[/imgzoom]

Atavismus

Danvzare

Populous?
Although I think Atavismus is right due to the weird angle.

CaptainD

Gah thought it might trick people just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiitle longer than that.  Powermonger is of course correct.

Atavismus

I spent a lot of time playing Powermonger but I never saw the end, because the last "mission" (piece of map) was corrupted on my disk...

What about this?

Mandle

Ohhhhh...I know that one:

Ferdinez Must DIe!!!

I remember buying it because I took a fake sick day off of work just because I wanted to play a new game and it was the only one at the local computer store (which is where you bought your games back then in Australia) that looked entertaining...

I think it cost about $25 at the time... but could be mistaken...

Atavismus

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 07/11/2016 14:10:11
Ohhhhh...I know that one:

Ferdinez Must DIe!!!

I remember buying it because I took a fake sick day off of work just because I wanted to play a new game and it was the only one at the local computer store (which is where you bought your games back then in Australia) that looked entertaining...

I think it cost about $25 at the time... but could be mistaken...

:D
We had fun playing this game with a friend because in our Middle School a boring asshole's name was "Fernandes". ^^
Mind, it's "Fernandez Must Die" but it's still your turn. ;)
Well done Mandle!

Mandle

This one has a lot of history behind it:

In my opinion it's one of the best indie efforts that got picked up by a studio and got ruined into an absolutely HORRIBLE game via the pressure of money.

The original was INCREDIBLE and it even seems like it might have a bit of a comeback possible through the underground movement of the original fans.

What made it so great for me was that it was an online FPS that was actually realistic: If you got shot you pretty much died instantly or a bit later from bleeding out, and once you were dead you were DEAD... There was no respawn... You just sat out the rest of the round as a silent spectator (which wouldn't work these days as everyone would just cheat through voice-chat channels... so the game would just have to black out your screen until next round)... Anyways: the whole dead is DEAD aspect made your heart beat just all that more, especially if you were one of the last guys left on your team, and even more if it was down to you and the last opponent... Ahhhhh, good times...

I will be following the potential revival in any case as I would love to play the original again...

Danvzare

ARMA?
Or maybe the mythical Team Fortress 1?

Amayirot Akago

Mandle

Danvzare

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 08/11/2016 13:06:14
Counter Strike?

Ohhhhh...so close... In fact, players of this game used to make fun of Counter Strike fans in much the same way that Star Wars fans make fun of Trekkies (and vice versa)...

Another thing I loved about this game was that the sound effects of the gun fire, hits, and ricochets were just like: "pop-pop...ping-ping" instead of "BLAM-BLAM...THUD-THUD". It never sounded like something that would actually kill you, which is pretty much what guns sound like in real life, and this made the game so much more tense (for me at least), until the studio release screwed it up and put in all the usual Rambo-style sound effects like as if the recording mic is an inch from the end of the gun barrel for every shot...

Anyways: Here's another screenie from one of my favorite maps:

Danvzare

Those are two completely HUDs? ???
Anyway, I've searched and I've searched, but the closest I've found in terms of description, is a modern indie game called One Life.

This looks like some sort of mod to Serious Sam or something.
I can't figure it out.

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 08/11/2016 14:02:06
Those are two completely HUDs? ???

Yes, they are from different versions of the same mod...

The game was originally a mod built on an open-source game engine (probably one of the first to manage to do so and become a seperate game in its own right instead of just a slightly different flavour of the original)...

This game probably helped to pave the way for more and more studios to open-source their engines and reap the benefits of licensing fees on commercial games developed with them. A radical shift in the way games were made and one that we experience personally through AGS...

I remember when it was announced that this game had been picked up by a commercial studio and the fan-base went ballistic with fear of what might happen to "our" beloved game... We had never heard of such a thing even being possible!

The creators assured us that they were sticking to their guns (ugh) and that they would not let the "suits" change what made the game great or make any compromises just to get the "moneh"...

Well... either they lied, or got led down the slippery slope... Probably a bit of both...

Crimson Wizard

This is looks very much like Unreal (1?) Engine HUD  there on the last screenshot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk