The "Black Stories" crime riddles thread

Started by Kumpel, Mon 13/03/2017 23:07:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Riaise

I liked the gameplay of this one, it felt like we were all working together on the case, which was nice. I also liked how you managed to create a sense of urgency with the police sirens, even though we could have taken another three weeks to work the puzzle out if we'd needed to (laugh). I enjoyed the puzzles, although the finger pointing was getting a bit frustrating. I suppose the lesson there is always examine everything, especially your own inventory. The box riddle is the sort of thing that I would have looked at a walkthrough to solve and not felt bad about it because I would never have worked it out myself anyway. The riddle itself is fine, I just wouldn't have got the connection between "sinister" meaning "left" and that "never wrong" would mean "always right", even though it makes perfect sense in hindsight.
The story was good, it started out as more than just a generic "murder in a study" plot, with the box obviously being important, and I was interested to find out what the mystery of the box actually was.
Spoiler
I wasn't expecting that ending (I've never seen the film, since I don't like horror) so I was a bit taken aback by it, but the whole "becoming obsessed by the box" bit was an interesting route that I hadn't thought of. Obscure closure is the best closure! (laugh)

And yes, I did feel sorry for Sasha at first, but then I realised that it was clearly just a hallucination and that she would have run away as soon as she got hungry enough and is now living happily with a nice old lady just down the road. Which is exactly what happened. (nod)
[close]

So, yeah, it was good fun. It would be nice to have another case like this again some time. ;-D

Mandle

Cheers for the feedback, Riaise! Much of what you said was what I also felt while DMing it... and...

Quote from: Riaise on Fri 28/07/2017 14:13:32
Spoiler

And yes, I did feel sorry for Sasha at first, but then I realised that it was clearly just a hallucination and that she would have run away as soon as she got hungry enough and is now living happily with a nice old lady just down the road. Which is exactly what happened. (nod)
[close]

Oh, thank God! I feel so much better now!

Kumpel

Awesome and very well executed occupation of the forum game I originally intended in this thread! You should turn it into a text adventure for everyone to play on his/her own!

About the Story:

Spoiler

I was so not expecting the pinhead and the realms of hell playing a role in this case (laugh)
[close]
I loved it!

Mandle

I miss this thread!

Nobody got a new case?

Kumpel

Me too! Maybe I will find time for it in the coming week. 8-0

Mandle

Quote from: Kumpel on Mon 28/08/2017 00:36:46
Me too! Maybe I will find time for it in the coming week. 8-0

I hope so... Or anyone else can jump in in the meanwhile I guess...

I wanna play a case!

Snarky

OK, I'll have a go:

Case #49

Mrs. Atkinson was pottering about in the garden, in view of a neighbor. Suddenly she shrieked, and seemed to be struggling against an invisible foe. By the time the neighbor reached her, she was dead. How did she die?

Tabata

Yay - here we  go again

Did she die due to an allergic reaction?

Snarky

No (wrong)

CaptainD

Did someone kill her?
Did she suffer from hallucinations?
Was she on drugs at the time?

Mandle

Did some kind of insects attack her?
Was she attacked by fire ants?
Did she die from any form of poisoning?

Snarky

Spoiler
Case #49

Mrs. Atkinson was pottering about in the garden, in view of a neighbor. Suddenly she shrieked, and seemed to be struggling against an invisible foe. By the time the neighbor reached her, she was dead. How did she die?
[close]

Yes (nod)
Did someone kill her?

No (wrong)

Mandle

Was she bitten by a spider?
Was she bitten by a snake?
Did the poison in her system cause her to have hallucinations?

Stupot

Was it the neighbour who caused her death?
Was it some kind of gas?
Was a hose pipe involved?

Snarky

Spoiler
Case #49

[close]

Yes (nod)
Did someone kill her?

No (wrong)
Was it the neighbour who caused her death? [But I like your thinking! I considered it, but went another way.]
Was it some kind of gas?

Kumpel

Riaise

Did the poison cause muscle spasms?

Snarky

Spoiler
Case #49

[close]

Yes (nod)
Did someone kill her?
Did she know the killer?

No (wrong)
Was it the neighbour who caused her death? [But I like your thinking! I considered it, but went another way.]
Was it some kind of gas?
Did the poison cause muscle spasms?

CaptainD

Did she kill herself?
Was she tasered?

Mandle

Is the account or her death we read what actually happened? (i.e. Not just the neighbor's testimony.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk