The Wordle thread (with spoilers!)

Started by cat, Fri 18/03/2022 08:33:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

cat

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 09/05/2022 17:36:11
I think it's pretty clear that this was the original puzzle, and that NYT changed it given recent news, since it might be seen as sensitive/controversial.

Yeah, that even made it into the news here. Weird.

I got it in 3 tries a few times recently :)

eri0o

The most incredible revelation is that the whole thing is all static. I thought there was a server that provided the word of the day, but there isn't. All words from now to eternity are visible in the page JavaScript code.

Like, it could be done in AGS and use DateTime.Now to provide the word from a string array and be the same.

cat

Today was interesting, because as long as I've played I don't remember encountering non-infinitiv forms of verbs. In quordle (expecially in pratice mode) there are tons of them, though. It took me 4 tries today.

Mouth for war

Pax Animo

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 11/05/2022 15:04:13
The most incredible revelation is that the whole thing is all static. I thought there was a server that provided the word of the day, but there isn't. All words from now to eternity are visible in the page JavaScript code.

Like, it could be done in AGS and use DateTime.Now to provide the word from a string array and be the same.

I've been recently tasked with coming up with a similar game to Wordle during my JavaScript course, i did wonder how the word of the day had been implemented, this brings some interesting ideas.   
Misunderstood

Stupot

It’s been a mixed bag for me. I’ve stopped keeping track of my overall average but it’s well over 4. I’ve had way too many 5s and 6s in the last few weeks.

I was happy with today’s (#328) result though: 3 guesses.

Wordle 328 3/6*

⬛⬛⬛🟩⬛
⬛⬛⬛🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Snarky

Me too.  (nod)

Wordle 328 2/6

🟩⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

(Wordlebot points out that this was just a lucky guess, as there were 11 possible solutions after the first row.)

Here's an idea for an adventure game puzzle: let's say you learn that somebody always uses the same starting word in Wordleâ€"and also as their password for something you need access to. From the blanked-out records of 2 or 3 games, reconstruct their starting word, starting from the known last row (the solution).

Snarky

Interesting game today.

Wordle 329 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Skill 97/100
Luck 47/100

Spoiler
After CLINE and REGAL, I was left with MEDAL, PEDAL, METAL, and PETAL. FETAL is also a valid word and in fact on the list of Wordle solutions, but they were hardly going to run that just days after they nixed FETUS. There was a 1/4 chance of getting it in 3 and a guaranteed win in 4 no matter which one I picked. I didn't get lucky.
[close]

Stupot

Wordle 329 3/6*

⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I got lucky with my 2nd guess. After that, I don’t think there was any other possible answer with the information I had.

Spoiler
SCOPE
MEANT (following cat’s earlier comment about non-infinitive verbs.)
METAL
[close]

cat

I wonder what the words you come up with say about how your brain works. Today, I got it on 4th try after
Spoiler
STARE, CHILE, LONGE, DELVE. I had to look up delve in a dictionary. The word popped into my mind but I didn't remember the meaning.
[close]

I sometimes come up with quite obscure words
Spoiler
Would everyone know what LONGE means? For me it's clear because I went horse riding as a kid.
A few days ago I guessed WHIST. Why would my mind bring up the name of an obscure card game that I only read once about in a Jules Verne story?
[close]

Mouth for war

5 tries today! I was like "Is this even a word?" Before I hit enter :D

Snarky

Yesterday took me 5, my worst result in a good while, but I made up for it today with a lucky first guess:

Wordle 336 2/6

🟨⬜🟩🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
CORAL
SCRAP
[close]

With my average safely below 4, I might switch to hard mode just to mix things up.

Stupot

Nice one. I got #336 in 3 guesses
Spoiler
FRIED > PARTY > SCRAP
[close]

Had more than my fair share of 5s and 6s though lately.

cat

Mostly 4 or 3 recently. Today I was especially lucky, getting it in 3 for the regular and 2 for the Austrian version.

Mouth for war

Stupot

Damn, #344 was hard. I got it in 4 goes but I feel like a bit dirty as I had the 2nd and 4th letters and basically had no choice but to brute force it systematically until I came across a potential word, even though I had no idea what it meant. Luckily it was correct.

Snarky

Yeah, that one was a toughie, and took me 5. First time in a long while that I simply haven't been able to think of a possible solution, so I had to waste a turn to eliminate some more letters. (More annoying on hard mode, where you have less freedom to pick guesses strategically.)

Wordle 344 5/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler
SCARE, HAINT, PALMY, GAWKY (could not think of a possible word here), BAYOU. Very tricky because of the pronunciation (and of course the excess of vowels); even playing around with BAY__ I didn't find it. Only when I happened to notice that the remaining vowels spelled YOU, and I attached that to get _AYOU did it click. I also kind of feel that YAKOX should be accepted as a guess, but I guess it's hyphenated in English.
[close]

cat

Yeah, this was a hard one, only got it on my 5th as well. I think I somehow read the word years ago when playing AoE3 (so I vaguely remembered the word, but not the exact meaning), but I was surprised when I heard how it is pronounced. I thought it would be
Spoiler
ba'you but actually it seems to be 'ba you
[close]

What is YAKOX? Not even Merriam Webster knows it.

At least today I got it with 3.

Snarky

"Yak-ox" is an archaic termâ€"rare in English even in the 19th centuryâ€"for a (male?) yak.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk