What song are you listening to right now?

Started by The Fool, Mon 01/07/2013 19:44:32

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

I recently been listening to this, from the 1975 album The Snow Goose, by prog-rock stalwarts Camel:

Shiro Sagisu's OST for the 2004 live-action Casshern adaptation is stunningly epic, and I was torn between posting this track...

...and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clDO9m0JyAY&list=PL6s2wApajeioTcq90JXXAZniCSkWh-FBO&index=7

I opted for the shorter of the two. :)

Also, I've been playing The Sisters of Mercy, having not listened to them much in...well...donkey's years:

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

TheFrighter

Anybody here knows the band Vampire Weekend?

_

lorenzo

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 27/11/2022 02:38:31I recently been listening to this, from the 1975 album The Snow Goose, by prog-rock stalwarts Camel:
That's a good album!
In fact, Camel's first 3-4 albums from the 1970s are all worth listening!

KyriakosCH

This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Creamy

Quote from: TheFrighter on Sun 27/11/2022 09:14:53Anybody here knows the band Vampire Weekend?
I still have their first album. They have a distinctive light-hearted sound.

Quote from: LimpingFishI recently been listening to this, from the 1975 album The Snow Goose, by prog-rock stalwarts Camel.
Nice.
Coincidentally I have listened to prog rock of the 70s recently:

LimpingFish

Quote from: Creamy on Thu 01/12/2022 21:40:46Nice.
Coincidentally I have listened to prog rock of the 70s recently...

Man, I can still remember the first time I heard War of the Worlds. It must have been sometime in the mid to late 80's(?), recorded from vinyl on a BASF tape, and it cut out just as the Thunderchild was being destroyed. It wasn't until a decade or so later (once CDs became ubiquitous) that I could enjoy the whole experience.

The great thing about streaming services is that you can find a whole lot of "forgotten" prog concept albums (good, bad, and just plain weird) of the seventies. So many rabbit holes to fall down...

Mouth for war

Just re-discovered this one. Looove those lyrics :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FhWTvfg5A
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

LimpingFish

Quote from: Mouth for war on Sat 15/04/2023 20:46:02Just re-discovered this one. Looove those lyrics :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-FhWTvfg5A

Nice!

I'm more of a 70's Alice fan, myself. I'm a big fan of Billion Dollar Babies from 1973:

Also, in my never-ending journey through 80's pop from around the world, I present:

On a different note, this album actually moved me to tears. Goddamn kids!

And, finally:

Mouth for war

The latest alice albums is a step back to the rock n roll stuff he did earlier. Really good too :-)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

TheFrighter

Swedish singer Loreen won the Eurovision Song Contest 2023 with this song:

_

Galen

LimpingFish

More from Tino Casal, and an album that's loaded with fantastic 80's synth goodness.

Not the (inferior) Toploader cover from the dawn of the new millenium, but the mellow original by King Harvest.

And finally the melancholic Faust, from Brian de Palma's under-rated musical Phantom of the Paradise , as sung by actor Bill Finley.

Ponch

Being old today and playing old people music.  :cool:

Snarky

I've let The Algorithm determine most of my listening recently.

She Wants Revenge – "Tear You Apart"

Apparently Joaquin Phoenix directed this music video. Good job, Joaquin!

Talking Heads – "Life During Wartime" (live, from Stop Making Sense)

This performance brought to you by Cocaine™

I got into reading about David Byrne, and came across the quote by former Talking Head Chris Frantz: "If you knew David Byrne, you would not be jealous of him"; which is a bit sad, but honestly also a bit of a relief, because I was starting to feel pretty jealous.

The Dø – A Take Away Show ("Despair, Hangover & Ecstasy" and "Miracles (Back In Time)")

Not sure whether that counts as a Metal Ümlaut

The Divine Comedy – "Something For The Weekend"

Apparently this song was inspired by the loveliness of Kate Beckinsale in Cold Comfort Farm; it must be weird to have a song about yourself by someone you've never met (though in this case the idea was just a jumping-off point)

Purity Ring – "Fineshrine"

Heard them first on the Search Party theme, "Obedear," but they have some other good tracks too

AndreasBlack

This hidden gem, great jam with Prince what common people would refer to as 'sick'  :-D

Snarky

Mellon Collie came out 25 years ago today.

Smashing Pumpkins - "Galapogos" [sic]

Over time this has grown to become my favorite track off the whole double album.

TheFrighter

Already in the Halloween mood?

When I was younger this song really scare me:

_

Snarky

The Beatles - "Now and Then"

Just out of curiosity, really. It's... OK?

DJ Shadow (featuring Run The Jewels) - "Nobody Speak"

I'm old enough that a song from 7 years ago feels like "a recent track" to me. But then I guess it's been 25 years since I first heard DJ Shadow.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 03/11/2023 08:05:38The Beatles - "Now and Then"

Just out of curiosity, really. It's... OK?

I went in quite cynically and found it unexpectedly poignant. But maybe it has to do with how old McCartney looks in the video (81! My god!), and having the sudden hunch that maybe he's pulling a Bowie and setting things up as a last goodbye...

I've never followed any of the Beatles' solo careers with much interest, but every once in a while I take a dive and find a gem here and there. This one is from his latest studio album in 2020, a bluesy/gospel-y piece that reminded me of Antony and the Johnsons on a first listen, and when I showed it to a friend she said it reminded her of Johnny Cash. So now I can see both, like one of those duck/rabbit optical illusions:

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 03/11/2023 08:05:38DJ Shadow (featuring Run The Jewels) - "Nobody Speak"

I'm old enough that a song from 7 years ago feels like "a recent track" to me. But then I guess it's been 25 years since I first heard DJ Shadow.

Hahah, love it.

I'm old enough to remember when El-P was known not for being part of Run The Jewels, but as a member of Company Flow and one of the most revolutionary producers in the underground hip-hop scene. Kids these days!

Snarky

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 04/11/2023 07:57:38I'm old enough to remember when El-P was known not for being part of Run The Jewels, but as a member of Company Flow and one of the most revolutionary producers in the underground hip-hop scene. Kids these days!

I didn't get into it when I posted the She Wants Revenge song, but I did a double-take when I found out that the singer is the same guy who raps seven minutes of non-stop pop-culture references on "Bug Powder Dust":

Bomb the Bass (Kruder & Dorfmeister remix) - "Bug Powder Dust"

This was always one of my favorite K&D tracks.

PJ Harvey - "Lwonesome Tonight" [sic]

On Halloween I went to a PJ Harvey concert (the last show on her I Inside the Old Year Dying tour), and I haven't been able to get this song out of my head ever since. I'm not even sure I really like it. :-\

So I've been listening to all sorts of stuff to get it off my mind...

Caroline Konstnar - "For Free?"

Her songs are always good fun, and I think tracks like this and "The Jellyfish Song" show that she's actually a pretty good singer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk