Mittens is the annual real-life meeting for adventure game creators mostly from the AGS community. The first Mittens was held in 2002, and it took place in Laleham, England, and was organised by Mods. There has been a Mittens gathering every year since then, in seven European countries, thrice in the United States, and once in Canada.
A smaller meeting, named Brittens was also previously hosted each year, intended to be for those unable to attend the further-afield Mittenses. Other local AGS community meet-ups have also been arranged or suggested, often with names related to Mittens, such as Lapaset (Finnish for "mittens").
The name "Mittens" comes from a suggestion by Captain Mostly. The idea formed during the production of "The Vestibule", the team (which included Abstauber, Yahtzee, Captain Mostly & Mods) decided it could be fun to bundle around to Yahtzee's and have a BBQ. This never happened - but the idea was taken further and with it, Mods launched "Mittens". Mittens are actually fingerless winter gloves. It is also a common name for a cat. It has no association or related meaning with the annual AGS meeting, but the name was made up because it was funny.
- 2002: Laleham, England, 29 July - 02 August, organised by Mods.
- 2003: Near Gothenburg, Sweden, 28 July - 01 August, organised by Andail.
- 2004: "Electric Boogaloo" in Upstate New York, United States, 23-30 July, organised by MrColossal.
- 2005: Agia Anna, North Evia, Greece, 15-22 August, organised by Helm.
- 2006: Benidorm, Spain, 16-23 August, organised by Farlander and La Lore.
- 2007: Bayfield, Ontario, Canada, 20-27 July, organised by Quintaros and BaRoN.
- 2008: Near Charleville-Mézières, Ardennes, France, 15-22 August, organised by AGA and scotch.
- 2009: Hollywood, Florida, United States, 29 June - 06 July, organised by Grundislav.
- 2010: Foiana della Chiana, Florence, Italy, 31 July - 07 August, organised by Mods and Snarky.
- 2011: Rosslare, Ireland, 19-26 August, organised by Disco.
- 2012: Anaheim, United States 24-31 August, organised by Disco.
|Attendee||2002 (England)||2003 (Sweden)||2004 (New York, USA)||2005 (Greece)||2006 (Spain)||2007 (Canada)||2008 (France)||2009 (Florida, USA)||2010 (Italy)||2011 (Ireland)||2012 (Anaheim, USA)||Overall|
|Adamski (Dark Stalkey)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||6|
|KANDYMAN-IAC (das kandyman)||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||No||1|
|Privateer Puddin' (custard)||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Yes||No||No||No||No||3|
The most (in)famous Mittens tradition is the group singing of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. This tradition may or may not include being yelled at by angry people in the vicinity being disturbed by the group's singing.
Most years, a quote file is kept of some of the funniest things members have said during each event.
Another Mittens tradition is the attempt to photograph Chris Jones eating onion rings and/or ice cream cones. Also, attempting to steal CJ's passport to find out his middle name was a long running tradition in the earlier days of Mittens.
Mittens also includes a "super quiz" of questions relating to AGS and adventure games. It began at the first Mittens - those who wish to participate and those lucky enough to score get to choose from an array of prizes supplied by other Mitteneers. In 2003, Helm won a foam hand. In 2006 AGA got the highest score & won a special boxed edition of Ben Jordan 1 and a signed Mittens poster by La Lore. Grundislav is the competition leader - he has won the competition consecutively since 2007 (except in 2009, where no quiz took place) - claiming his "knowledge of random trivia" is to blame. He is yet to be beaten, scoring 50%, 25% more than 2nd place in 2011.
The Mittolympics are also a special part of the Mittens traditions. Normally run by Andail (when he attends), there are various games that Mitteneers contend against each other in, including; onion ring hoopla, dart, croquet, nail in wood, swimming, running, eating & most famously - arm wrestling. In recent years, as the locations have become less rural - the Mittolympics & notorious arm wrestles have been extinguished - with sight-seeing, game & video making now playing a major role in activities and traditions.
Noteable are the "Melt The Limit" productions and the string of Ben Jordan fan films. Various attempts to make games (involving Mitteneers for the duration of the event) have occurred but few have been successful. Smaller sister events to Mittens (such as Brittens and Lapaset) have seen short games produced by attendees.
Another popular tradition is to play a game of "blank white cards" on the last night of the main event. The game involves attendees creating cards of any nature for a high jinx game of memories, funny moments & quotes from the week.
There is also a popular tendency to: drink things, burn things, break things, smoke things, eat lots of different things, meet & engage with local people things, climb things, fall off things, sail in things, photograph things, tamper with things, argue about things & compare real life things to how they are perceived over the internet things.
Famous Mittens NPCs
- SHUT-THE-FUCK-UP man, Mittens 2002 (provoked by our singing of 'Bohemian Rhapsody')
- Sausage Girls, Mittens 2002
- Vin Diesel, aka really angry tour operator, Greece 2005 (infuriated by Helm)
- "No photos" black lady, Greece 2005 (believed soul would be captured)
- Metro security guard, Greece 2005
- Random waiter guy, Greece 2005 (wore CJ's chef hat)
- Old pizza lady too old to cook 20 pizzas, Greece 2005
- Home from Home girls, Spain 2006
- Wal-Mart employee ("You tell those boys to stop having a good time! Oh I'm just kiddin'!"), Canada 2007
- Random guy at Schenectady gas station who borrowed Eric's phone and was on it for 10 minutes ("I'm comin' ovah now! Tell your momma she got a big mouth!"), Canada 2007
- Crazy Science Centre lady ("Did you step on the white squares? GOOD!"), Canada 2007
- (Wo)man of ambiguous sex renting out electric boats, France 2008
- Tony the Pony, and the flies who sucked the juices from his eyes, France 2008
- Maureen ("Recalculating, turn left, turn left, turn left"), Mittens 2009
- Nelson ("You're a Leo? Rrrooar"), Mittens 2009
- Christopher Walken sat nav - "Turn right!" (if you know what's good for u) 2010
- Blue (Cup) Bar man with Moustache & chocolate cigar 2010
- Knock knock creepy morning cleaning lady 2010
- See randomly the contents of my room man - Florence 2010
- Don Corleone / Hitler / Popeye man at restaraunt - 2010
- Mirage - vivacious blonde who likes Grundislav - taught CJ & co how to jig - Ireland 2011
- Ethan "Meatballs" - Guy who was eating at the same Italian restaurant who got stalked on foursquare by Disco - Anaheim 2012
» Mittens 2002 (England): Comments round-up with Kandyman, Magintz, Dark Stalkey, CJ, 2ma2, Chrille, Andail, FruitTree, Viporizer, Mods http://www.screen7.co.uk/junc/mittens2002comments.mp3
» Mittens 2004 (New York): Christopher Walken (Grundislav) at Mittens, talking to AGA, MrColossal, MillsJRoss, CJ, DarkStalkey, Mods & JetXL, with laughter from Finkenstein & Dave Gilbert. http://www.screen7.co.uk/junc/walken_at_mittens04.mp3
» Mittens 2006 (Spain): AGS Show, hosted by "DGMacphee" (Layabout). Very loud, contains very strong language. http://www.screen7.co.uk/junc/mittens06agsshow.mp3
» Melt The Limit (not filmed at "Mittens") http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76iZ9hWvkv8
» Mittens 2006 (Spain): Melt The Limit 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gonIf9KkUTE
» Mittens 2008 (France): Melt The Limit 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUhG_4Uk3M
» Mittens 2010 (Italy): Melt The Limit 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYDkkzLw8k
» Mittens 2008 (France): "Le Chateaux Macabre" - Ben Jordan movie starring many members of the AGS community http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I51OTQVn0NE
» Mittens 2010 (Italy): "Ben Jordan Must Die" - in production, for release Summer 2012
» Mittens 2011 (Ireland): Das Banshee - to be revealed alongside Ben Jordan Case 8 in Fall 2012
Users who have attended one or more Mittens have a custom title on the AGS forums. Since Mittens 2012 these are:
- Mittens Serf (1)
- Mittens Vassal (2)
- Mittens Knight (3)
- Mittens Baronet (4)
- Mittens Baron (5)
- Mittens Viscount (6)
- Mittens Earl (7)
- Mittens Marquess (8)
- Mittens Duke (9)
- Mittens TRAITOR (10)
- Mittens Monarch (11)
m0ds also has the title of Mittens Founder due to his having hosted the first Mittens.