Which were your first games ever?

Started by PureGhostGR, Fri 05/12/2003 08:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

PureGhostGR

I'm getting nostalgic again.. And I blame christmas for it.

I keep remembering my first experience with games.. It was christmas and I had just received my first "really good" present from grandma, an "NES game console", that was it for me.. I was hooked for life from the first moment the catridge light turned on.

First three games in chronological order:

NES:

a) Ice climber : Wow.. I remeber staring at the screen mezmerized. I still remember this game fondly..
b) Donkey Kong Jr : This was a good break from Ice climber.. nothing more.

And then about a year later.

c) Zelda : Revelation. Everything changed after Zelda.. I wanted more out of games.. I was hooked for good.

PC:

a) Karateka. Action game. Boring.
b) Indiana Jones and the Last crusade (adventure). I was about 11-12? not able to understand english.. I couldn't figure out how to give marcus the game protection and naturally I was forever stuck.. LOL.
c) Loom.. What can I say.. the earth moved and I discovered adventure games. I still remember listening to the tape on my little tape player, trying to understand what was said.. lol.

ahh.. gaming memories.

So, what was your first gaming experience?

Privateer Puddin'

Monkey Island 2 on PC aged 5...didn't know how to save so i had to restart it every time

Mr_Frisby

pudin man - dito with the not knowing how to save - tho worse as I was more like fourteen before I played MI1 so . .

First (and most lovingly remembered game)
Countdown - I never get sick of being labotamized . .even to this day.

Followed closely by LL1 and Goldrush .
(Goldrush is still one of my favorite favorites, sh*t I wish Tierra would get off thier fat arses and make a remake of that'n!)
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

Squinky

Quest for Glory was the first game I ever remember getting hooked on. I mostly had to watch my older brother play though....I remember when a monster would come on screen, you could hear the floppy drive start up, so you always knew to type "Throw Dagger" or "Cast dart"

GarageGothic

First PC games:

1) Space Commander (Space Invader clone in CGA)
2) Castle Adventure (I think that was the title. Bird's eye view, arrow key and text input, ASCII symbols for characters and objects)

and the one that made all the difference:

3)  Police Quest

I remember the first time I played police quest on my cousin's computer as if it was yesterday. We didn't know about savegames, so we just restarted the game every time the character died (most often while driving). I thought it was so cool that you drive around and enter seemingly random locations like the hotel. My cousin left me at the computer, and I tried walking around and typing some things. I walked up the receptionist at the hotel and typed - I didn't know much English - "give me a gun". The game apparently interpreted this as "give gun" (to receptionist) and responded with something like "Thank you. But I'm not giving it back". And that, my friends, was my very first, but certainly not last, experience with the problem of text parsers.

Nacho

The first one was in that early 80´s machine you had to plug to the TV, and it was some kind of 2-colour arcade called something "Arthur".

The first game... I can´t really remember, but I´m almost sure that as for GA it was "Indiana Jones and the last Cruzade"
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

YOke

I discovered adventure-games quite late actually, but my first meeting left me a different person. Indiana Jones FoA.
A very dedicated salesperson insisted on giving me a demonstration, so while I watched he installed it on a computer in the store that had a Roland soundboard installed. And when saw the intro and heard the glorious midi theme (hehe) I was sold, and have been ever since.

Enlightenment is not something you earn, it's something you pay for the rest of your life.

SSH

Hungry Horace (Pacman clone) on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum... Yay!

As for adventures, it was one of the ones you type out of a book... Usborne "Write your own adventure" or something

and then graphical adventures... must have been ages before I had one actually... probably Discworld 2!

Captain Mostly

I know (because my mother tells me) that we used to play The Hobbit on the ZX Spectrum... But the first game I have any REAL memories of would probably be Prine Of Persia on the PC. That Skeleton was terrifying!

Ali

Dizzy on the ZX spectrum instilled in my a lifelong fear of ANYTHING that moves. To this day, if I get within the vicinity of a bird, my hands and feet fly off while my body recedes into the distance.

jannar85

Maniac Mansion at the age of 8 (?)
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Duzz

ahhh, castle adventure... didn't think anyone else would have played that. I played that for hours on end, avoiding rooms with monsters cause I could never work out how to kill them.  then I always drowned in some trap downstairs or something... I would've been about 6

that and digdug, and elevator and arctic fox.... I played Space quest 1 as I said in the old computers thread, but the first adventure i really got into was hero quest ( quest for glory)  man that game rocks.  I remember going to primary school all excited cause I found out you could play the dagger throwing game and  win money, and telling all my friends who were playing it at the same time... I was too scared to venture out into the forest much though, I don't think i really understood game saving either...
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

DGMacphee

Pitfall on the old Atari console.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Ghormak

Any of the hundreds of C64 games my brother had. I can't really narrow it down to a particular one.

First PC game was Police Quest I, I think.
Achtung Franz! The comic

Timosity

I remember playing pong on atari, that the kids next door had, before I had a computer.

I did have a 'Game & Watch' which I had a game called Turtle bridge, Donkey Kong was on 'Game & Watch' Too on a double LCD screen, These were the original Nintendo's before the consoles. They were so cool, I think I still have it somewhere.

There were basic arcade games Like Pacman & Space Invaders, but these were at Arcades.

Eventually in the Early 80's we got a C64, and had Pitfall & Pitfall 2 on tape (a computer tape, same as audio tape, but these were used before floppy disc's)

My favourite cartridge game on C64 was "Wizard of War".

My First adventure game I played wasn't until I was in High School, in about 1989 (in Year 8 ) I played LSL3, Then SQ3, then all the previous ones, and others like PQ, KQ, Code name: Iceman, then I got Hero's Quest for a christmas sometime (I still have the original box, 3.5 & 5.25 discs & manual, probably worth a bit these days) I'd heard about MI & MM, but never knew any one that had them and it wasn't until I was into my 20's that I played the MM & MI games.

It wasn't until this year that I found a copy of GF in Kmart.

Also have a search through this forum, cause I'm sure there's probably still one of these topics that hasn't slipped off the end yet.

LordHart

Well, my first console I owned was the Sega Master System 2... with built in Alex Kidd game! Oh my god, I love that game, and I've only recently finished it too after I downloaded the ROM.

I'm sad I sold the console years ago, being still young, but not old enough to truly feel nostalgic for it. Now, I really miss some of the games, like Enduro Racer, Last Ninja, Alex Kidd, Shinobi, Choplifter and oh so many more classics.

The first PC game I ever owned was Ultima 7: Black Gate & Serpents Isle. They were followed by Doom, Master of Orion and Cyberdogs... ahhh, the memories. :)

Great topic. :D

Nine Toes

Hmmm... my first gaming experience was when I got my Atari.  I remember liking the one game where you're in the jungle, and you had to jump over crocodiles in the water, and you had to swing on vines... I can't remember the name of it for the life of me... If I had to guess, I would say it was probably Pitfall, but did they even have that game on the Atari?  Along with that, Galaga and Millipede were always fun.  Galaga... that game was a blast, with all the funny color patterns when you killed one of those space bugs... seizure-causing fun for the whole family! :o

When I got my NES, my favorite games were The Legend Of Zelda and Shadowgate.

As for PC, I never had a favorite, but I always played this one game called Castle Of The Winds.  It was and RPG, and had really crappy graphics, no animation, and the control scheme was screwed up (to fight a monster, you simply push up against it).  But it was really addicting.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Inkoddi

My first game was Prince of Persia (I was about 4 years old and didn't understand the controls, kept dying on level 1) I still play it and it r0xorz!!! I found a Prince of Persia site here.

Then there was THE INCREDIBLE MACHINE!!!,
Kings Quest V (at the age of 6 i think), LSL 3, Doom, Lemmings 2...

The first NES game was Ice Climbers.

Edit
Oh.. and Commander Keen

Andail

Garage Gothic, I also played Castle Adventure!
It was so exciting, though I never got very far....I remember finding the cellar, where there was this water trap. And fearies that blocked some corridors....I also found out you could save the game, but after having loaded a game, it would get all buggy and different levels were sort of mixed to one level. My biggest dream was that there would one day be a game like that, but with graphics....

Captain Mostly

I think that Price of Persia 2 is one of the most outrightly under-rated games EVER. People always ignore it these days when charting the prince's history...

Frogger also featured quite heavily in my early gaming memories... As does SPACE WARS (although not the origional version)... And Crystal Caves (a really odd graphical version of some other dungeon based game, the name of which escapes me just now, that drew each colour of the location images one at a time...)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk