AGS: Can I Make an RPG with AGS?

Started by TerranRich, Mon 03/05/2004 05:56:47

Previous topic - Next topic

TerranRich

The answer is yes. You can make an RPG with AGS.

Why not? What's stopping you? First of all, you can keep track of stats with global variables. Look them up in the manual. Look for "globalint".

Turn-based combat? Of course it's possible with AGS! With enough scripting knowledge, you can program turn-based fighting in your RPG game.

Any other RPG-related questions, please feel free to ask here. Anybody who has any other tips and pointers for making an RPG in AGS, post here as well.

(Any other "Can I make an RPG" threads will be locked.) :)

Sprites
For sprites you just simply draw the overhead view of the character.

Items, Powers, Weapons etc....
For displaying items, healing powers, weapons, etc you can use an inventory or if you want seperate inventorys for each see this thread.
The same theory as above could be used if you want a pokemon style game where you collect monsters, just have a new inventory with the monsters in.

Keyboard Movement
And of course if you want classic gameboy RPG feel you want the character to be controlled by the keyboard,  here is a usefull thread.

Ginny

I find this pretty straight forward, but one aspect of RPG, which is money, trading, shops, etc, can be handled by making each shop a character with an inventory, and using quite simple inventory adding/losing scripting, with a variable for the amount of money.

I was also thinking of making something that uses this, because it could be very interesting in an AG to have to think carefully what to buy. :) Personally, I'm less interested in the otehr aspects of RPG.

Great thread btw terran ;).
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Moox

You could also use the point system built in to ags as money

TerranRich

Yes. Either the score system or an inventory item could act as money. You could actually use inventory items for every attribute. For the custom inventory GUI (search for this info somewhere else), you could list each "item" as an icon representative of the attribute. For example, health could be a heart, then clicking on it would display the health in a label somewhere else on the inventory GUI. This GUI could also be constantly on, replacing the Sierra-style action icons. Or something. It's an idea! :P

Ishmael

Using another characters inventory for this purpouse would leave the players inventory free...

character[CHARID].inv variables...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Unskinny Bob

Yeh, Im currently working on a Pokemon Style game.

Ive done everything using GlobalInts - Money, monsters, attributes and items.

I just used a different global int for each item and displayed in an item screen using rawprint functions.

The battling I did by Dialogs, that was rough - mainly cos of monster switches during battle.  If it was 1 character RPG I recon that would be quite straightforward.

Akumayo

You say you are working on a Pokemon style game eh?
How exactly do you script the attacks? Or do you simply compare the monsters HP, Defense, Attack, etc. and decide the winner???  I ask only because I would like to make a similar game and cannot figure it all out!  Why is this so time consuming!!!
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Moox

using the random comand store the result as a global int and subtract that amount from the hp

Legge

Could someone help me here? is the stats thing in: game / global functions, unitled, script language keywords or setting up the game? beacuse I'm not good on these names and so.
He is fast

He is strong

But really, He is my dog

im a website hoster, i host websites(But not that much mb webspace)

LostAtSchool

I dont seem to understand your question, your asking how to use globalint?

Legge

Well i searched for globalint but i didnt find any helpful tutorial...
He is fast

He is strong

But really, He is my dog

im a website hoster, i host websites(But not that much mb webspace)

Unskinny Bob

Battle script is roughly:

Reads what monster you have in battle, (done with global ints) then depending on that allows certain dialog options for the moves they can do. Each option runs script x in global script which minuses a value from the enemy HP Int. then enemy does random attack health bars change etc. then repeats until either enemy HP = 0 or you have no monsters left.

TerranRich

Legge: You're absolutely right, there is nothing really in the AGS manual. I will be adding a BFAQ entry shortly.

GlobalInts, or Global Integers, are a set of 100 variables that can be accessed anywhere in the game using script. Set a global int with SetGlobalint() and get the value of one with GetGlobalInt().

SetGlobalInt(int variablenumber, int value);
Example: SetGlobalInt(47, 20); will set global int #47 with a value of 20.

GetGlobalInt(int variablenumber);
Example: GetGlobalInt(47); will return the value stored in global int #47. Note that this is not a complete command. Treat this like you would a variable; set it to something, or display it somehow. Use it as the object of a command, in other words.

Keep in mind that global ints, like just any other int variable, will only store numbers in the range of -32768 to 32767. There are also GlobalStrings. Look 'em up. :)

Gilbert

Quote from: Moebius 5.18 on Mon 31/05/2004 06:44:17
Keep in mind that global ints, like just any other int variable, will only store numbers in the range of -32768 to 32767. There are also GlobalStrings. Look 'em up. :)

Terran, in AGS only short variables are of 2 bytes, an int variable occupy 4 bytes, so the range should be -2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647.

TerranRich

Ah. I always get the two confused. Sorry! :P

Edwin Xie

So...uh, what do you type in the script for fighting?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Edwin Xie

Man, it's taking a looong time for a reply.
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Isegrim

That could be, because your request is a bit... "problematic" to answer...  :-\

To be straight, honest and exact: Find out yourself. The script for that will most likely be quite long and complicated. People have written about the general idea behind such scripts, so you can experiment in that direction.

Besides: I don't think that there is "the" roleplaying combat script. You will have to design one to your liking...

This post was generated automatically and therefore bears no signature.

Edwin Xie

Lets see how I can make one like runescape.......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk