November MAGS

Started by Klaus, Thu 04/11/2004 12:11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time we have a mix of aussie's and chicken's ideas in a freestyle interpretation:

Theme - heroes never die

Actually heroes live forever but what happens if a superhero looses his life!?
He needs to find a way back! And that's what this month's competition is about.

Everything is possible, so the location could be heaven, perhaps hell or you could walk on earth as a ghost, whatever... Just find a way back to life as a superhero - the world needs you. Of course even being dead you could have special facilities, or they are different now, perhaps even lost. It's up to you...

What you should include:
- A cutscene (intro) showing the end of the superhero's life.
- A supervillan that wants to stop the superhero's effort of returning.

Some items, please use at least three of them for your inventory:
- apple
- balance
- bird
- cape
- chair
- chalk
- lamp
- socks
- soul
- tape

That's it. No other restrictions...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by November 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Sinitrena

I think I'm in this month - once again. The rules sound interessting.

Just one question: Does any kind of hero count as a superhero? For example, could I use Sherlock Holmes as my main character?

Klaus

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 08/11/2004 16:26:48
Does any kind of hero count as a superhero? For example, could I use Sherlock Holmes as my main character?
A difficult question... As the superhero was part of chicken's ideas for the guidelines I'd like to forward this question to him.
Actually I don't think he had "Sherlock Holmes" in mind when talking about superheroes, but what makes the difference between Batman and Mr. Holmes? Maybe it's the hidden real identity that makes a superhero...
Let's see what's chicken's reply on this.

Chicky

I would like to stick with the typical superhero aspect. Maybe if you wanted sherlock could secretly be a superhero (maybe a little lame), or he could be the sidekick of a hero? Either way i would like to see some characters in spandex somewhere ;)

Ishmael

Darts, you just trashed my idea :P Well, I'll think up something new...

...just when I had thinked of a great use for the transparency functions...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Tiki

Count me in, I've been needing something like this...

Sinitrena

James Bond - Who wants to live again?

You are James Bond and someone kills you while you are in bed with Janine, you're current girlfriend. But you have luck. A man called A offers you the possibility to live again, but he wants you to do something on earth before you can live again. The only problem is that you're dead enemy Clawman has been offerd the same possibility to live again by a man called Z. And Clawman tries to kill you and to destroy the earth. Will you manage to give James Bond his life back?

Have fun and download it here.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I liked your James Bond game, but I found it odd that:
Spoiler
you could build a bomb with only chewing gum, wire, and a clock..MacGuyver reference? :D
[close]

Sinitrena

Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 23/11/2004 07:34:51
I liked your James Bond game, but I found it odd that:
Spoiler
you could build a bomb with only chewing gum, wire, and a clock..MacGuyver reference? :D
[close]

Spoiler
I've no idea how to really built a bomb   ???, so yes, I thought of MacGyver. (It's even mentioned in the game, when you look at the chewing gum item: "I think MacGyver could make a bomb out of it.")
[close]

viktor

Heh. I liked that part. It reminded me about a german comedian I once wached on TV. He was making fun of Mcguywer ( he made a parachute out of a paper bag and a machine gun out of a pen)
Nice game BTW  ;)
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Tiki

Be on the lookout for my entry sometime soon, possibly today!  Sinitrena needs some competition.   ;)

Good job, btw!

Chicky

yeh, i missed the spandex but i s'pose a bond girl'll have to do :D

Then again, i havnt finished it yet.

lakerz

Is it just me, or is the MAGS website down?  I haven't been able to connect to it for the past several months now.   ??? 

Gilbert

Are you using the link from Klaus' signature?

Klaus

Again the deadline is coming closer. One entry's already in so do not hesitate to submit your games within the next 24 hours from now (see timestamp of this posting). Then the voting will begin. Thanks.

Quote from: lakerz on Tue 23/11/2004 23:06:22
Is it just me, or is the MAGS website down?Ã,  I haven't been able to connect to it for the past several months now.Ã,  Ã, ???Ã, 

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Wed 24/11/2004 00:49:37

The signature link to the MAGS website and the one at the beginning of each MAGS topic should actually work fine. I didn't notice any downtime...

lakerz

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Wed 24/11/2004 00:49:37

Yes I am...it's bizarre!  I guess I should ask my ISP why they won't let me view this website.  ???

Curious Guest

I don't know if it is just my imagination, but isn't the deadline already over? If so, why is there no voting? Ok, there is only one game in as far as I can see, so there are not really different choices to make, but anyway... Is this game the winner now? Are there still other games coming up and so the deadline was moved?!? If this is the case, when is this new deadline and when will the voting start. I would love to vote, but I can't check this place everyday, so some info would be really nice.
???
Thx a lot

Chicky

yes, Klaus seems a little inactive.

Klaus

Quote from: Curious Guest on Sun 28/11/2004 18:03:59
I don't know if it is just my imagination, but isn't the deadline already over?

Is it just my imagination or did "someone" say "Count me in, I've been needing something like this..." and "Be on the lookout for my entry sometime soon, possibly today!  Sinitrena needs some competition."!?  ;)

Actually I wanted to wait for a second entry. But time really is more than up as the deadline passed by many days ago now. You're right: I should have posted the winner much earlier. Sorry. There won't be any delay like this in the future...

Again there's no need to make it a secret hidden in a MAGS winner video, so congratulations to Sinitrena for her nice winning game. (Please check your private messages).

Hopefully we will have more entries in December compared to the last two months then...

Tiki

Oh, sure, blame it ALL on me!  :P

heh, I had tried frantically to finish in time, but I couldn't.  I also couldn't release it as it was.  So, I decided to give it a few more weeks to work on.  I had assumed that you'd be posting something that very day, rather than silently waiting for me.  I had also hoped for someone else to post an entry.

I'll still be releasing my game soon, though, that's a fact.   So, this contest wasn't a waste at all, seeing as you already have one new game out of it, and one other soon...

Oh, and congratulations Sinitrena!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk