Barn Runner: The Armageddon Eclair (v2.1)

Started by Ponch, Sat 15/01/2005 00:03:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

Yes, your eyes do not decieve you - It's another Barn Runner game.

After this one, I swear I'll stop for a while!

This is actually the first real game I made with AGS back in 2003 and now that I've discovered the joys of MicroTech Instant File Hosting (free plug!), I've decided to inflict it upon you all.

This game serves as a real introduction to the world of Barn Runner and will, hopefully, make some of the more abstract jokes of the previous two games make at least a little sense. And, yes, I know that I should have made this game available first but I just got my high-speed connection today so this was my first chance to upload it.

The game comes in two chapters, each compressed into a seperate, self-extracting rar (both bundled into one big rar) along with a game manual to help you get started. The second part is in a password protected rar so you'll have to use the code given in the credits at the end of part one to unlock it.

The game was originally built for my niece and nephew so you may find the puzzles a little easy but if you get stuck, there are walkthroughs for each at my website:(http://home.earthlink.net/~anvilpress/barnrunner.htm)

Also, my coding skills weren't as sharp back in 2003 as they are now (and that's not saying a lot!) so please keep that in mind when playing it.

Now for the screenshots!

Prick eyes the free samples.

Remember to always wash your hands when you're finished.

A backroads showdown ends badly for our hero.

Well, that's it. I promise I won't subject you to any more Barn Runner games for a while (at least until The Forever Friday comes out this summer, hopefully). These are just the ones that were cluttering up my hard drive these last few years. So be a pal and let them clutter up your hard drive too!

Download it here.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=download&game=488

I hope you enjoy it,

-Ponch

henk

(Two robots will enter at this point. After a brief conversation, one attacks.)
* Use the Gun Icon on the attacking robot.

He Don't shoot ?

Candle

Ponch

The gun should already be loaded when you enter the room. Use the Gun Cursor Mode to shoot him with. That should do the trick.

Czar

I downloaded the file and when i get to extract it with WinAce, i only get the 20 kb manual, and later the 4 kb pic.
c.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Ponch

Quote from: Czar on Sun 16/01/2005 17:28:18
I downloaded the file and when i get to extract it with WinAce, i only get the 20 kb manual, and later the 4 kb pic.
c.

That's wierd. I just downloaded it at work and unpacked it with WinRar. The manual directory and both game self-exe rars were there and worked just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem with the download?

Dave Gilbert

Exceedingly fun stuff.  That's all I can say. :-)  It took me awhile to discover that you could walk to the various stores in the food court, but after that I enjoyed it immensely.

lakerz

I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this game.  I just got done playing both parts.  I was doing this  ;D alot!  Had me laughing more than I care to admit.  True, the puzzles were easy, but it's good to play an easier game once in awhile to make me think I'm smart.

WarGolem

I'm downloading it just because it looks like ED-209 from RoboCop in the last pic :)

Actually, it looks really fun too!

Ponch

It is indeed ED-209 you face off against. Actually, every robot in the Barn Runner games is taken from another work of fiction, some obscure some readily identifiable. Half the fun of putting the games together is researching the more obscure robots.

I'm glad so many liked it and sure, I wish it recieved more comments than it did but the download numbers are really good and a lot of people have visited my website for the walkthroughs and the other free goodies so I guess I can't complain.

Also, the puzzles were a little easy but I like my funny games to be funny and not frustrating. I leave the serious stuff and harder puzzles to people who are better suited to it than I am.

Thanks for playing,

Ponch

Bernie

This game is both fun and funny. Nice job!
Make more games, please! :D

WarGolem

I'm not finished with it yet but I'm already blown away, top notch stuff there ace! Keep up the good work!

Ponch

A strange and rare bug has been found in Barn Runner: The Armageddon Eclair. So rare in fact, that only one person (that I know of) has ever been bitten by it.

At the moment, I am trying to recover from a terrible computer meltdown so I don't have the time (and possibly not even the original files) to upload a completely fixed game so, for the moment, a quick-fix patch will have to do.

I whipped this patch up from the files of an older build of the game that I was able to find on an old CD and it seems to work just fine. Simply download the following file (63 kilobytes) and follow the simple instructions in the read me file to apply it.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tackyworld/patches/Eclair1Patch1.rar

I'm sorry that this bug somehow made it past beta testing and has only just now been discovered but if you want to play the game and avoid a rare "walking dead" occurrence, this patch is the way to go.

I promise to have a complete fix of the game available as soon as I can but given the fact that I've lost so much and I'm still not sure of what files I have backed up and floating around here somewhere, I can't say just when that will be.

Thanks to Naomi for spotting the bug and reporting it and let this be a lesson to everyone to back up your files regularly and not to blow it off just because you're really, really busy... especially when you're trying to finish another semester and have a game nearing release.

-Ponch

CodeJunkie

By the way, WinAce does tend to make a hash of unpacking RARs, so use WinRAR instead for it.

Crowley

Judging from the rather vague descriptions, I believe I've encountered the exact same bug.

Ponch

Allrighty, I've fixed the bug and recompiled the game (along with a snazzy new manual) so people who are downloading it for the first time don't have to worry about the patch.

For anyone who has an older version of the game (pre May 2005), the patch is still available at the link specified in the above post.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please enjoy version 2.1 with my apologies.

- Ponch

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk