My first AGS game: The Lost Tape

Started by , Thu 18/07/2002 20:56:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Droopy Eye

Well i have spent about a week on making this game and learning AGS so don't expect fireworks or anything, the main character is not made by me but he is a character from a RON-game made by Ionias Phyion, although I don't think this game fits in the RON-game style.

Download with noise :
http://home.no.net/rmyerz/martin/losttape.zip (size:1219kb)

Download with no noise : http://home.no.net/rmyerz/martin/lostsilent.zip (size 529kb)

Remember to read the readme.txt.

If you need any help with the puzzles post up here or e-mail me @ x_yta@yahoo.com

------------------------------------------
Apx. time used to complete if you know exactly what to do:
2 minutes
Apx. time used to complete if you don't know what do:
2 minutes - Infinity
Rooms/Screens:

volmel

Well, I'm stuck, but I sent you an email.  I can't believe this is your first game.  It's very good.

Melissa

Sylpher

I am stuck as well:

*SPOILER*

I have the book on lock picking, a handle and the cleaning tool. Can;t seem to figure out what to do next.

volmel

SPOILER:

How did you get the book and the handle?  I have the gloves and the piece of metal from the urinal and the broom

Sylpher

Woohoo I win! all in all not bad for a first go round. not bad at all!

SPOILER: (wee)

After you get the pepsi from the guy and spill it on the doctor...the guy in the booth will give you a thing to clean it up...after you clean it if you walk over to the trash bin in the corner there will now be a handle. use the handle in the bathroom stall and you will get the book. I assume the piece of metal from the urinal is what I am lacking to go further...thanks!

volmel

SPOILER

hmmm, interesting.  On mine, when I click on the trash can all I get is a there is nothing here you need sign.

Sylpher

SPOILER:

Hmm Have you tried opening the stall in the bathroom without the handle? a message should pop up saying you need a handle to open the door...then try and look in the trash...if not I dunno...first time  I looked in the trash it said there was nothing then I tried later and the handle was in there.

volmel

SPOILER:

Interesting.  It seems you need to get everything done, including going into the closet and trying to pick the lock.  Then you have to go to the bathroom and look at the place where the handle would be, use the hand on it, then use the broom on it.  Then it will show the handle in the trash can.

Thanks for all your help.  I appreciate it.

Melissa

-

great game...

just very difficult... I`ve had the same problem like Melissa... but I solved the game now. I don`t really know, what I`ve done to get the handle from the trash can.

Droopy Eye

Just to clear things up:

Before you know that this is a handle that belongs somewhere you will just look at it as trash, but after you look at the place it is missing from you get some interest for it.
Otherwise why should you distinguish the handle from the rest of the trash?

Sylpher

Good point, Though I think melissa said you had to do more then just look at the missing handle...not sure though.

-

You really should make a RON-Game including the fat man as maincharacter... that could become very funny :O))... (I think the RON-Members are waiting for a fat man-game)

By the way you should send the fat man to cornjob, that he can add him to the cha-files... (that everybody is able to use him in a game)

steven

i'm not all that great either.
i'll have my demo version posted in a couple of days.

ratracer

It's a good, logical game. Short, but with the correct amount of puzzles.

The thing with the trash can could be improved, though, IMO. After all, if you use the door the mainchar says something like"I can't open it without a handle", but the msg from the trashcan remains the same and ONLY after looking (or using) the HOLES where the handle should be does the trash can gets triggered to show a different msg...

I'm sure I have the same problem in my game (where the mainchar looks at objects  only not to be interested at first unless some other interaction was done in other part of the game) and that's where some good testing needs to be done (by other people)...

Anyway, I think the game had just the right level of difficulty - which is good!

IMO, everything was well tempered: good dialogue, not too short, not too long, and no bugs, I think...

ramiman

Great game! Puzzles made sense, though i finished it my first go around, they were hard enough to be satisfying, and the atmosphere is just right. I particularly liked the music; did you compose it yourself? I would appreciate you posting a copy or sending it to me. I look forward to seeing more good stuff from you.

Droopy Eye

Glad you liked the game, the music (or noise as some would call it) is self-composed.
You can download the music here :

*EDIT*
!!!!somehow the server refused mp3 files and zips with mp3s!!!

if anybody wants it email me @ x_yta@yahoo.com

size: 1,5 MB
*EDIT*

(the zip file contains the music clips in the game + six others)

My next project will be a full-length game with much better graphics, animations and story.
It's still in planning yet so it will probably won't be released before next summer.

ramiman

hmm.. 404 not found error. Maybe wrong URL?

ramiman

You can rename the extensions from .mp3 to something else, like .doc or .bin or some made up extension and the server wont recognize them.

Droopy Eye

Now its working:

http://home.no.net/rmyerz/martin/clips.rar

It's compressed with RAR
(you'll need winrar)

ramiman

thanks! BTW if you look a couple of topics down, I have posted a link to my very first demo game, just the result of some tinkering and learning AGS, and any feedback on it would be greatly appreciated.

fidodido

Very nice game, but I think it needs some polishing:

1. You have to cover all the UNHANDLED EVENTS. There shouldn't be situations that you use an inventory item on a hotspot and nothing happens (a simple "that doesn't work" message will do the job).

2. The background color of the INVENTORY WINDOW is black, and most of the items has many black areas, which are unseen on this background. As a result, when you look at the "suitcase", you see unrecognized pieces of the items, and you see the whole item only when you drag it around the screen.

Think about it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk