Duke Stanley: National Hero IN The 30 Minute War

Started by DontTreadOnMe, Sat 14/05/2005 14:28:27

Previous topic - Next topic

DontTreadOnMe

Yup finally got round to releasing my entry for the ONE ROOM ONE WEEK competition and my first game ever!

Ã,  Help Special Agent Duke Stanley in an explosive situation in Siberia as
he battles against the clock to prevent the launch of a nuclear missile aimed
at London!

Its a very short game so it gets a very short intro, If I'm meant to put more info someone tell me quick before i get splatted by a mod!

Screenshots:

And finaly the link: HERE

Many thanks - Rich

Update-Fixed minor problem with one of the puzzels, forgot to update readme... oh well
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

mags_don

PsychicHeart

okay, since you have it in your game, i THINK i can ask it here. how the hell do you add COUNTDOWNS to your game!!??
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

DontTreadOnMe

Well it should work now, sorry about that. For some reason the zip that was uploaded was 600kb smaller than it should have been (and its only 700 anyway) sorry about that.

As for the countdown code, some of this may be a bit dodgey, but worked for me.

declare variables before main code
Code: ags

int shorttime;  //variables for the timer this counts the 40ths of a second
int seconds = 59; //This is the number of seconds remaining
int minutes = 9;  //This is the number of minutes remaining
string secondsstr; //This is a buffer for the number of seconds to be turned into a string
string minutesstr; //same as above but for minutes
string time;  	   //This is the string that will hold the current time
string buffer1;	   //buffers used to store strings short term
string buffer2;

Put in repeatedly execute
Code: ags

//the following code adds 1 to shortime every 40th of a second(every game cycle)
  shorttime += 1;
  if (shorttime == 40) { //if there have been 40 40ths of a second then it resets short time
    seconds -=1;	 //and takes 1 second to the seconds
    shorttime = 0;
  }
  if (seconds < 0) { //if seconds has reached less than zero seconds are put up to 59
    seconds = 59;  //and one minute is taken
    minutes -=1;
  }

StrFormat (secondsstr, "%d", seconds);
  if (seconds < 10) {
    StrCopy(buffer1, "0");
    StrCat(buffer1, secondsstr);
    StrCopy(secondsstr, buffer1);  //Converts seconds to a string and adds a 0 infront if its less than 10
  }
  StrFormat (minutesstr, "%d", minutes);
  if (minutes < 10) {
    StrCopy(buffer2, "0");
    StrCat(buffer2, minutesstr);
    StrCopy(minutesstr, buffer2);  //same as above for mins
  }
  StrCopy(time, minutesstr); 
  StrCat(time, ":");
  StrCat(time, secondsstr); //adds all teh strings together with a : to get the time
  SetLabelText(1,0, time); //sets time as the label 0 on gui1

Hope that helps, and Zip should work now! - Rich
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

jane

Spoiler
I gather I have to short circuit the control box..............I have tried all ways to use the wire but nothing happens........any clues please if I should be doing something else first?[\hide]
[close]

DontTreadOnMe

The game wasn't brilliantly planned... and i suppose that should have been an alternate way yo solve the puzzel... sorry about that
Spoiler
How about trying something else thats metal?
[close]

Thanks - Rich

jane

Thanks for the hint - I don't know why I had tried that but nothing worked.......reloaded it again and I could complete it.

jane

Abisso

I finished your game (about 6-7 min) and I must say that the puzzles where definitely not good. From the nice graphics I hoped at least for a "slightly" better gameplay.
But  I must also admit that I hate that kind of stories (Tom Clancy's style), and so my judgement can be affected by this hatred.

Oh, and
Spoiler
the wire seems a better way to connect the two metal panels than the handcuffs
[close]
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

DontTreadOnMe

Yea, the puzzels left a lot to be desired, but it was only made in a aweek and its a first game. But I've learned (i cantually have a puzzel "pot" where i jot down all my good puzzel ideas... but non of them fitted) I didnt like the puzzels at all. Thanks for the nice comments on the graphics tho  :)

6-7 min? my best is somewhere around 23 seconds  := that duke sure can run!

Im planning another game involving Duke, this one I will focus a lot more on the puzzels for. However it will involve a fair few tom clancey elements im afraid, but there will be a bit more supernatural stuff and a bit of an indy element too I hope.

Thanks - Rich

PS might update it so that little puzzel problem is fixed

Abisso

Good luck, then. And focus more on supernatural and indy features, than tom clancy's ones, I suggest.

P.S. When I said 6-7 min I was talking about the first time I finished it. Adventure games are not made for time challenges!  ;)

Cardician

Quote from: Abisso on Wed 18/05/2005 10:03:14
Good luck, then. And focus more on supernatural and indy features, than tom clancy's ones, I suggest.

I disagree completely. I personally LOVE Tom Clancy books and Tom Clancy style adventure games can be awesome and in fact are not really done that much. There is the whole Splinter Cell thing, but thats not so much adventure as it is action/adventure. Definitely stick with the Tom Clancy thing. Many people love them.

Abisso

Ever wondered why aren't there so much adventures of that kind?  ;)

Anyway haven't criticized Tom Clancy's books and genre, I just said that I don't like them, and I found them inappropriate for a pure graphic adv.

Cardician

Quote from: Abisso on Wed 25/05/2005 11:22:18
Ever wondered why aren't there so much adventures of that kind?Ã,  ;)

Anyway haven't criticized Tom Clancy's books and genre, I just said that I don't like them, and I found them inappropriate for a pure graphic adv.

I completely respect your opinion, just saying that I hold a different opinion.  ;)  My main point is that no one of us should tell someone else what kind of game they should or shouldn't make. If he wants to make a Tom Clancy type game, great. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean others won't.  :) I despise Myst games and all its clones, but tons of people love them and they keep getting created. I'm not going to go around and tell game makers not to make Myst games. Who am I to tell other people what not to do just because I don't happen to like it?

That's my point  :)

Abisso

You're right. I don't like Myst-like games either.

So, people, please don't do Myst-like games!  ;D

Seriously, just a joke Cardician. I basically agree with you.  ;)

Cardician

QuoteSo, people, please don't do Myst-like games! ;D

;D Well since we're in agreement there, I change my stance. No one of us should tell anyone what kind of games to make. But two of us, thats a different story. I hereby appoint you and I as the good idea committee. If we think its a good idea, it can be made into a game, and the opposite is true as well. As our first declaration...

From here on, no one is to make Myst type games. Abisso and I have spoken, so it is written, so it shall be done! (or not done in this case)

PS - Failure to comply with the good idea committee's rulings will result in inmediate surrender of your computer and all other electronic possessions.

Abisso

Uhmmm... we should really submit this idea to the forum bosses... I actually like it so much... and we should really stop dirtying poor DonTreadOnMe's thread!

Besides, such an important discussion as this, deserves an exclusive appropriate thread!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk