random "too many events posted" error in AGS2.62

Started by Dusty D., Fri 27/05/2005 17:59:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty D.

Two of our test players encountered an "too many events posted" error in completely different situations and rooms of the game. In both cases, I was unable to reproduce this error message, also the search function here didn't give me any hints - neither the same topic in the "beginners tehcnical help" forum.

When does this error occur and what does it mean (in general)??

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I don't know anything about it... but you really should consider trying out your project with the latest 2.7 version (backing up your game first, accourse). There's always a chance that it's a already-fixed bug.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ishmael

I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

strazer

That thread was started by him.

Dusty, if you feel your question has not been sufficiently answered in the Beginner's Forum, please pm a moderator to move your thread here instead of cross-posting. Thank you.

strazer

CJ, could you take a look at his other thread, please? Did I get it right?

Edit:

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 02/06/2005 19:08:09
Whenever you click the mouse or press a key, AGS logs an internal "event". There are also some other things that cause an event to be logged, such as changing room, standing on a hotspot and activating a GUI control.

At the end of each game cycle, AGS then runs through and processes all the posted events.

If more than 15 events get posted, AGS aborts with the error message you describe. This is coded in as a 'sanity test', since there should never really be that many events generated in one cycle.

Was there absoultely nothing in common between the two problems? The same GUI wasn't be used, by any chance?

There are only two ways I can think of that would cause this problem:
(a) Have 16 text boxes on a GUI, and then press a key. This will activate all the text boxes and cause the error
(b) Keep changing between rooms by using NewRoom commands in the Enters Screen Before Fadein interaciton.

Both of these are quite obscure situations though, and I doubt it'd be either.

Is it fairly easy to reproduce the problem, or do you have to play for a while before it happens?

QuoteI think since only one script can run at a time, functions/events will be put in a queue and executed when the current script finishes. According to this page, AGS can queue up to 5 functions per thread.

That's a good thought, but in the case of queued scripts AGS simply discards any extra scripts once 5 are queued. The situation happens too regularly for it to cause an error.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk