Bear Story (Updated to v1.3)

Started by IceMan, Sun 03/07/2005 00:21:14

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMan

OMG1!!!! First game out!!!LOL!! :)!

Heh, just kidding.

This is Bear Story, a kind of take on the old Dizzy adventures all those years ago.Ã,  (You DO remember Dizzy, don't you?!?)

Actually, this was a little birthday present I made for my lil' brother, but I've only just got round to uploading it.Ã,  It was kinda cool to see whether or not I could code this type of game in AGS.Ã,  Who says it's a point-and-click only engine?

Features... features... erm:
Ã,  Ã, -It's a dizzy-style game, in AGS!
Ã,  Ã, -8 playable rooms
Ã,  Ã, -5 characters
Ã,  Ã, -Laser targeting system

One of those was made up.Ã,  Now the story:

(Are you sitting down?)
Bear is the manager of Bear Airways, a succesfull airline company, and today is the day of the annual shareholder's conference.Ã,  But Bully Bear has locked Bear in the bedroom!Ã,  Bear needs to escape and get to the conference in time.

Come on, it was for my brother!

Screenshots!

So download version 1.3 here:
http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Host/Games/BearStory.zip

Or go to the (shoddy) website here:
http://iceboxgames.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Changes to v1.3:
-Improved jumping code
-Fixed setup crash (d'oh!)
-Recoded inventory interface
-Minor bug fixes

Enjoy!
-IceMan

UPDATE: Due to downtime for MicroTech, use the mirror link on either the website or the game's entry in the database.

DoorKnobHandle

Looks pretty good and was fun to play.

I had troubles with picking up inventory items at first before I found out that you had to use the fourth option after pressing "ENTER".

Also I managed to break out of the room in the dark room after the locked freezer door. I jumped out of it on the right-upper side.

IceMan

Heh, thanks.Ã,  Didn't notice that bug - let's just say it's an "easter egg", huh? ;)

The inventory is actually just an ordinary dialog.  I tried to use a GUI, but I couldn't get the arrow keys to scroll up and down.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I say, can anyone mirror this? Somewhere less picky about what we use to download? And somewhere that doesn't see whether we already are trying to download and saying we are and therefore we can't, even though we're not? I can provide an alternative if anyone is up to it:

http://12.22.230.41/MicroTech/Hosting/FileHostingHome.html
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

IceMan

Put the mirror up myself.  Much better now.  Here's a smiley:  :)

Kinoko

Man, I have to love you for doing a Dizzy style game. I LOVED those games, and there always needed to be other games in the same style. The bear is adorable, by the way ^_^ Very cute, I hope your brother liked it.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yay! Downloading as we speak, review when I'm done with it...

Kneel. Now.

IceMan

Review? Jeez, this is sounding interesting... ::)

Thanks for the comments, guys!  And yes, Kinoko, he did like it, although he did get stuck in the clouds. Heh, that was added as a little dig at the original Dizzy games (you always had to do some excessive cloud-jumping!)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh. Review is really too big a word, it's just methoughts.

First off - I tried to run WinSetup and it told me it could't find the "Bear - net.exe" file, so I renamed the original exe. ::) Common mistake, but worth setting straight - to rename your file, recompile it, don't just rename the exe.

First impression: very positive. I was quite surprised to see the Dizzy interface so well ported, kudos to you! The original Dizzy gameplay is also here, in just about it's entirety. Anyone who ever loved Dizzy should check it out.

One thing that I must say put me off, but that's because I'm a "Save Early, Save Often" guy (who uses his Spectrum emulator and general Sega emulators to save his state just before, say, making a series of hard jumps), is the lack of a save system. Anyone who, like me, will be put off by that as well, but if the game is short enough to finish in one sitting (which I don't know) and the player is willing to try his hand in at least one tricky sequence (the tree and the clouds, which made me quit after many attempts because I just couldn't do it), then it's a quite enjoyable experience.

"Cute" is the best word to define it. In a very positive way. The graphics are cute. The music, which is the original Dizzy music, is cute. The character interactions, what few I've seen, are quite cute. The gameplay is super-cute. The animations are very well made, very smooth.

There are only two things which don't really satisfy me as a gamer. The "jump up" bit works well enough, but sometimes just standing still and immediaty jumping to any direction made me jump up instead - or walk THEN jump, if that bit of walking didn't make me fall down, that is. I appreciate this was not easy to code into AGS in the first place, but if it were possible to fix this, it would be an added "bonus". Maybe a very short delay between pressing "up" and a direction, in order to see whether the player is really hitting just "up" or, a bit later, pressed a direction?
The second this is really preference. I'd rather have used ENTER instead of 4 to exit the interface screen. It's just more intuitive.

Well, that's about it. That's what methinks. I say, could you make a wimpy version (or add an "Easy" option) for us non-platformers who enjoy saving the game? ;)

Oh, one thing I forgot to say.

WONDERFUL work! Here's looking forward for more!

Kneel. Now.

IceMan

Brisby - thanks for the comments, really inspring.

I've been working on v1.1, which should now be on the original post.Ã,  This adds quicksaving (F5/F7), improved jumping and one or two other small things (setup crashing for one!)

About the jumping: Yeah, I always knew there was something not quite right about it, but I wasn't able to place what it was.Ã,  Your description helped, though, and I've made a small alteration.Ã,  Now, you can press left/right just after jumping to jump sideways.Ã,  Let me know how it works out!

Couldn't do anything about replacing '4' with the enter key, though.Ã,  Having numbers control the inventory was more of a workaround than anything else.Ã,  I don't know if it's possible, but I couldn't get GUIs to respond to key pressing.

Anyway, the save/load function is in place.Ã,  I decided to use just one save slot to make things easier - hope it's enough!

Cheers for the interest, guys!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteI don't know if it's possible, but I couldn't get GUIs to respond to key pressing.

You probably overlooked something deceptively simple. If the keycodes you specify come after the "IsGamePaused" check, and a PopUp GUI is on, then the keycodes will not get processed. :) Just put them before the check, and make other checks to see if their action is valid at that point.

Other than that, I'm glad I could help!

Kneel. Now.

IceMan

Oh, man, I'm such a noob! :o
Yeah, I tried that and things started to work.  Took a while, and after fuzzy logic combined with Dexter Math, I managed to get it right.  The inventory is now keyboard controlled - just like in the original dizzy games!

Well, almost.  I couldn't reserve 'Enter' for both pick up and drop, because AGS would open and close the inventory in the same cycle.  No biggie, only drop stuff is now done with the space bar.

New version up at the top -Phew!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

AGS opened it and closed it in the same cycle? ???

You did use some sort of check? Like,

if (GUI is on) {
Ã,  Ã, Turn it off;
}
else {
Ã,  Ã, Turn it on;
}

Real curiosity here, because it shouldn't happen. Well, not with a check, anyway...

EDIT - Ignore, I think I'd misunderstood what you'd said. But I still find it funny that, whatever the problem is, a check or a variable won't fix it...

Kneel. Now.

IceMan

Actually, it was because I WAY overcomplicated it all. :P
The script to call open the GUI is placed in the room script, while that to close it is in the global script (go figure :))

Doesn't matter, too much, I hope.  My next game shall surely have a smoother release!!
(Well, it'd better - it comes out next week!)

cittymom

I am having problems unzipping the new version 1.3.   My WinZip pops up messages about bad files with compressed files not matching sizes of uncompressed size.    I did have the first version and deleted it to download v 1.3.    The game screen was running off at the edges and I could not view the top bar with lives and coin counter.  The WinSetup would not work for me to try playing in a window instead of full screen.    I really enjoyed the little bit of the game that I played and would love to re-download and continue.   

IceMan

Hang on, you say you can't unzip the game, but you're still able to play it? ???
Hmm, I probably missed something.  Try the download now, the update should be called "BearStory.zip".  I tried it myself and it all runs smoothly.  Is anyone else having trouble with the latest?

cittymom

Sorry, guess I was not too clear.   I downloaded the first version with no problems.   It is this newest version that I am getting bad file messages while unzipping it.     I will download and try again for the third time.

cittymom

As for a little more information,  I tried another download and still experienced errors while unzipping.   I have copied what my zip log had:                                                                      Dll: C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZ32.DLL - 10/17/98 7:00 AM
Extracting to "c:\unzipped\BearStory"
Use Path: yes   Overlay Files: yes
skipping: Readme.doc              unsupported compression method 40
skipping: winsetup.exe            unsupported compression method 40
Extracting acsetup.cfg
Extracting AGS_Collision_Detector.dll
Extracting alleg41.dll
bad CRC 820ebf0a  (should be e5d36c55)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (548854) does not match the uncompressed size (548864) recorded in the zip file
Extracting Bear.exe
bad CRC 72e9d711  (should be d53f11fc)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (3258654) does not match the uncompressed size (3258662) recorded in the zip file
Extracting music.vox
bad CRC 110e87e2  (should be a5739e64)
Warning: the size of the extracted file (1357940) does not match the uncompressed size (1357941) recorded in the zip file

Gilbert

What version of Winzip are you using? It's probably too old, upgrade or use other free programmes like 7ZIP.

IceMan

Ah, good point:
I used the zip program that comes with XP (not sure of it's name)
Not very knowledgable on file compression, but if your version of Winzip is old it could be having trouble unzipping newer files. :)

Gilbert

Cittymom of course, since her/his problem shouldn't be there if her/his archiver's version is new enough.

But of course you can also post which version you are using to compress your game so she/he can check if it's really because she/he's using a too old version.

cittymom

Thanks for suggestions.   My WinZip is an older version and I will update later today and will see if that helps.  Thanks, again.

Potch

*sniff*Ã,  I can't download it.Ã,  It just goes to a blank screen with an X on it.

Edit: Never mind.  I finally got it to work.
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

lakerz

I haven't played any of the Dizzy games, but I liked Bear Story a lot!  Fun game with good mix of platform and puzzles. 

IceMan

Thanks - good to know it appeals to those who haven't played Dizzy :)
Try http://www.yolkfolk.com/
It's got just about everything you could possibly want to know about those games (its maybe even a little TOO hardcore  :P, but its a laugh)

help

is it just me cos im stuck in the i have the little bear, sharp stick and icecube and i cant get back in the house except the lounge and that lil room. help please

IceMan

Spoiler

You have to climb the tree and jump across the clouds to get back into the upper portion of the house.
[close]

Rott

I can't open the readme. Might its contents be posted here?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteIceBox Games:
Bear Story v1.3

Introduction

What do you get when you combine the style and gameplay of the Dizzy games of yesteryear with the disturbingly cute?  A short and sweet throwback to the classic egg-related adventures of the early 90s.

Story

Are you sure you want to know?

You play Bear, who runs his own airline: Bear Airways.  Today is the day of the company's annual shareholder's conference, and Bear has a big speech planned.  However, Bully Bear catches him and locks him in his bedroom!  Can you help Bear escape and make it to the conference in time?  Well, can you?

I did warn you.

Controls

Movement: Arrow keys
Pick up objects / Open inventory: Enter
Drop objects: Space
Quicksave: F5
Quickload: F7
Quit: Alt-X

Disclaimer

All music used in this game is taken from the original Dizzy games.  They are not my work, and were composed by Matt Grey and Lyndon Sharp.
This game also uses the AGS Collision plug-in, created by Frederico Jeronimo.
All other game content was created by Chris Burton 2004.
Game engine by Chris Jones, www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

E-mail your comments at iceboxgames[at]hotmail[dot]co[dot]uk *

* I know some people prefer it like this in case spam bots or something pick up their adresses, and not knowing what IceMan wanted I played it safe.

Kneel. Now.

IceMan

Cheers  :)
I'll see if I can change the file's extension.

desimaui

Iceman your game is adorable. i like it. But I am having trouble solvling it. Can you give me a little tip. I got out of the door from the first room and was able to get two coins, one in the first room and one under the bed, but what next? I can't seem to do anything else. ???
All You Need is Love!

IceMan

Why thank you!  :D

You can jump out the window on the far left (in the room with the coin under the bed).

Ubel

I just finished this game today. It was great fun! Now release the damn DNG2 already. :D

desimaui

Iceman what tree because if its that skinny one byt he steps, I can't do anything with that. I found the key but what do i do with it???
All You Need is Love!

IceMan

The tree to the left of the shed.

I'm afraid the whole game was a collection of family in-jokes: the key you found unlocks the cellar in the far right screen (I "accidentally" got locked in there, and the key "accidentally" got thrown down the garden, you see  ::))

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Quote from: desimaui on Sun 03/12/2006 06:35:25
Iceman your game is adorable. i like it. But I am having trouble solvling it. Can you give me a little tip. I got out of the door from the first room and was able to get two coins, one in the first room and one under the bed, but what next? I can't seem to do anything else. ???

Sorry to barge in on the festivities, but surely there must be a better board, called Hints and Tips, to ask these questions, instead of bumping a year-old thread. Yeah, the "I liked it" bit is relevant, but that's hardly the main content of the post.

And now that I have sucessfully broken two very important rules by both acting as a moderator and helping the thread stray off-topic, let me just re-state that I love this game, IceMan, especially since you re-worked the jumping issues. ;D

Kneel. Now.

desimaui

OOps, sorry I thought I was in hints and tips. Iceman Where is the cellar and what about the tree. I can't seem to climb any of them.
All You Need is Love!

IceMan

Cheers Rui!  I remember coding that jumping stuff was a pain in the backside - glad it was appreciated!  ;D

Desimaui: Jump from the side onto the branches that stick out, and use the key in the far-right edge of the room under the stairs.

Phew!  Only 50% off-topic!

desimaui

Okay made it to the top of the tree. (phew this hopping is exhausting and I don't mean for the bear.) I am having trouble getting across on the clouds. Can you give me a clue as to how to do it do he doesn't fall back down to ground. What do I do with ice cube?
All You Need is Love!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Oh come on now, this is really too much.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21729.0

I see no one had answered your last question. This is probably one of the few occasions in which it is excuseable to double-post - so as not to let it go from the first page when you REALLY need that hint.

Kneel. Now.

desimaui

Rui, wow, looks like I ticked you off..I'll be sure not to make that mistake again...
All You Need is Love!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Heh, sorry, don't want to sound bossy or anything... it's just that saying you understood you were in the wrong forum and then keeping on asking those questions here... I tick off easily, so nevermind me too much. :) Just keep an eye on which board you're on.

And now back on topic, we've cluttered this thread too much, I reckon.

Kneel. Now.

desimaui

Rui, that's all right. You'll be happy to know that I am now posting my questions for this game under hints and tips.
All You Need is Love!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk