September MAGS

Started by Klaus, Thu 01/09/2005 00:04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new MAGS rules yet another time go a very different way: They define the main character...

Topic: Chalk

Wretched's idea behind the rules is that the main character should be simple to draw, allowing lots of good animations.

- The main character must be a chalk figure come to life. This could be a police murdered corpse outline trying to find the murderer, or a school kids drawing on the playground or a blackboard. Or even a chalk hill carving thing. Other ideas may come to your mind.
- The main character must have at least one special ability, e.g. elastic arms, flight, metamorphosis, whatever.
- You must include at least 3 different animations (these animations do not include the standard cycles like walking, talking, thinking,...). More are always welcome of course.

There are no other restrictions for this month!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by early September 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

esper

I just released my first AGS game, and I think it went OK, so I'm going to try my hand at a MAGS competition. I've been watching the past two and have ben wanting to join in all the revelry, but figured it would be best once I got my game out... So, here goes! This sounds like a fun topic to work with, too... The ideas are brewing...
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Henryhouse

I couldn't think of anything to do for this months MAGS rules at first. I finally figured something out, so I'm in. Pretty creative rules.

=The=Brat=

im in. i hava question though, does it have to be chalk or could be any low detailed drawing? nice rules

Wretched

Well I suppose if you consider what street artists can do with chalk then anything goes. I think the rule about using a chalk character is quite definate. Though you could maybe do a coloured in chalk figure if you want to fill out the image a bit. But you'd just be making more work for yourself with the animations. But a low detailed drawing of a chalk figure is fine. Maybe post a picture of your idea for a yeah/nay vote ?

Ishmael

Would a stickman be ok? Something like in this one: http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/tk/mplr_shot.gif
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Wretched

I reckon that could be made to look chalky, so yeah fine, imo.
I suppose the idea is an outlined type character, or plain old stickman stuff.

Abisso

Since the ending-date of the competition isn't precise, I prey, and ask, if it can at least be in the 26th afternoon.

I'm not even sure I'll finish the game for that date, but anyway, the 26th it's the only day in which I can upload it, so, please, gimme time till the afternoon.

Thanks anyway.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Klaus

Quote from: Abisso on Thu 22/09/2005 12:25:47
Since the ending-date of the competition isn't precise, I prey, and ask, if it can at least be in the 26th afternoon.
Usually the end is posted in detail about 48 to 24 hours before. The italian afternoon will be okay :)

EDIT: Time is up now!
Please post your entries within the next 21 hours (see timestamp in the "last edit line"). Then the voting will begin.

Abisso

I must say I'm very sorry for asking a posticipation of the ending-line, since I've not been able to finish the game.
And, since there are no entries, yet, I also regret the decision to don't submit the unfinished game (which could win as the only entry). But, hey, this would be unfair!!!

Anyway, this situation taught me something:
"Never begin a MAGS competition 5 days before the ending of the contest!"

I hope I'll finish the game anyway, in the next days.

IM NOT TEH SPAM

Abisso, you'd have to worry about the deadline if anyone else had a game out... but I doubt they'd end the comp until they have one game at the very, very, very, VERY least.
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

Abisso

Well, if this true, I hope that no one submits his game till I've finished mine!

;D

Klaus

Quote from: King_Nipper on Mon 26/09/2005 15:26:52
but I doubt they'd end the comp until they have one game at the very, very, very, VERY least.
The very, very, very, VERY least is in about 8 hours from now :) So there's still a chance for all to enter the competition.

But Abisso - if you say it's only about 12 more hours that you'd need to finish the game please give me a sign! If it's days you don't need to think about it ;)

Wretched

klaus,
I'm starting to upload now, but it's about 30Mb, over a 28k modem, so please be patient. Should take about 3hrs

IM NOT TEH SPAM

It's depressing when a MAGS competition has only a maximum of two entries.  I'd work on one, but I have to go work now... shame  :'(
APPARENTLY IM ON A "TROLLING SPREE"

Ubel

I was bored so I thought, what the heck! It was a good way to spend two hours of my day.

Chalk's Quest (I'm so good at coming up with original names!)

::Download here::

Nikolas

Hey Pablo, I really liked your 1 minute game. I especially enjoyed his/her outrage, outbreak thingy!

Lovely animation!

Wretched

Klaus,
I'm going to have to ask for an extension. The game was finished, 3 hrs ago but am still uploading. It's raining here and I keep losing my connection mid upload, I've already had to split the file into 3 chunks. only managed 11Mb so far. Will keep trying.
Anyone know of a good ftp/upload manager like getright is at downloading, that copes with disconnections?

Klaus

Quote from: Wretched on Mon 26/09/2005 23:21:06
I'm going to have to ask for an extension.
Okay, I really understand the difficulties of a 28k modem. So take your time. When your game is up the voting will begin. No need to hurry - your game is "in". :)

Quote from: Wretched on Mon 26/09/2005 23:21:06
Anyone know of a good ftp/upload manager like getright is at downloading, that copes with disconnections?
LeechFTP - the application I'm usually using -  tries to resume broken uploads.
Also Filezilla offers a resume upload functionality. Maybe one of these clients works for you. Both applications are freeware. Good luck...

Wretched

At last, here is my over ambitious MAGS entry,

CRAVE

Warning:
This is an Adult game, and contains frontal nudity, and adult themes, but is not meant to be crude in anyway.

Plot:
Cacoe reads about someone called Fenelda in a newspaper and the name rings a bell. Uncertain why he knows this name he visits the Carnaby hotel, and meets 6 beautiful sisters....

Stats:
50 screens, 10 npcs, 3 endings, or rather ways to finish.
Features a full 1980's parody sub-adventure 'Slug Princess' with 20 screens and 6 npc's.

Screens:

Download:

Download (30 Mb)

I will release a slightly more polished version next week, but this is fully playable.

Enjoy,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk