Sprite Jamboree! 11/22 to 11/29- Topic: Retro Days

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Tue 22/11/2005 20:14:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

In keeping with the glorious success of the chiptune contest, I want to see some c-64 style blocky art for a:

FUNKY THANKSGIVING SHOOTER OR JUMP AND RUN GAME!

Your task, if you choose to accept it, is to create (since the size and quality will be easy for 90% of you) no less than 1 main character, 2 powerups, and 5 baddies (baddies can include a boss if you like, and animation is optional) of your choice for a Thanksgiving themed shooter or jump and run game  Max dimensions are 32x32 but you could make them even smaller than that.  Graphics should use double-wide pixels like the c-64.  There are plenty of images on google for c-64 games if you need inspiration.

Color palette is the c-64 color palette!

Remember the theme is thanksgiving and of course any cool stuff you do here should be able to be used by someone if they want to make a c-64 ish thanksgiving type game.

I made this as an example:

Have fun with this one!

scourge

hey, this sounds really cool and i'm gonna have a go. Unfortunately i'm not very familiar with Thanksgiving except for what i see in American movies. The turkey and saying thanks. How much should we keep to the theme, literally or symbolically or? I mean should the baddies be giant turkey men?

hope this isn't a stupid question :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It's not a stupid question.  You could have turkey men if you want, or a pilgrim riding a giant turkey.  As long as I can tell the sprites would be for a thanksgiving type game they work.

Kweepa

[EDIT] I would love to animate them, but this is the sprite jam, not the animation competition. :)
[EDIT] I've been shamed into animating them by the awesomeness of Boyd's animations!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

scourge

Hey, i tried :)

I have two player ships; one in the form of a bow and the other in the form of a crossbow since its hunting season for turkey. Naturally then my enemies are the turkey resistance (bunch of people painting their ships as turkeys, ... well they tried :) ). The fourth enemy is a platform with two turrets on opposite ends. And the fifth ship is a kamikaze ship (the small one)
The powerups are ammo and life (in the middle).

all ship dimensions are 32x32 and the powerups are something like 14x14

EDIT: i added these three below (not an entry). Call it a promotion of the game i'm working on :)

Sektor 13

Hey, your sprite was good as well, in the last competition (zombies) :P -> now my revenge must be taken here, i must beat you with my sprites ... coming soon :P
-> jokeÃ,  Ã, ;D, now back to drawing.... 8)

Edited by moderator: Please don't quote the whole post with image, especially when it's just the post before yours. Thank you.

scourge

Quote from: Sektor 13 on Wed 23/11/2005 20:51:19

Hey, your sprite was good as well, in the last competition (zombies) :P -> now my revenge must be taken here, i must beat you with my sprites ... coming soon :P
-> jokeÃ,  Ã, ;D, now back to drawing.... 8)

:)

Nikolas

Oh my god! What a huge quote... What a waste of bandwith.

But what an athletic spirit. How noble.

And what a good sprites these are...

And what a good idea progZmax had...

DanClarke

i didnt read the rules prop...at all, so i just did this. I dont really know a lot about thanksgiving either being English, so that's also oanother one of my excuses ;)

x4

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

rharpe

Here is my cheesy "Witch Doctor" entry:
"Hail to the king, baby!"

esper

Asante sana, squashed banana... Say it out loud while you watch that...

I know you aren't really supposed to post in the comps unless you are in it or voting in it or something, but I had to say this was a great idea. I would take part, but those people who can make a bunch of big dots look like something (at least if you stand ten or so feet away) are much more artistically talented, in my opinion, than someone who tells a computer to make a shape in 3D and then model it... It's all about having less to work with.

rharpe's is my fave so far (because of the song) but Steve's looks like he played alot of Commodore 64... Sprites that bad but that good could only come off that old beauty...
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

Kweepa

Quote from: esper on Sun 27/11/2005 06:43:33
Steve's looks like he played alot of Commodore 64...

Actually I never owned one. I had a Vic-20 (default 176x184 resolution) and then a BBC micro (mode 2 was 160x256 resolution) so I guess I've had some practice at this aspect ratio.

buloght, those little characters you added are great!

Ubel

But rharpe's entry doesn't meet the rules. It's not using double-wide pixels. Too bad, I love the sprite

BOYD1981

being as i am of non-american personship i know practically nothing about thanksgiving but here are my entries anyway...

first here's the main title screen

yes, the game is called "Laced Turkey Mania" (brought to you by the creators of Suicidal Acid Junkies from HULL)

and here we have the game's "hero", Sunburned Boxing Lawyer Man

not much to do with thanksgiving i know, but it is kind of a symbol of american culture...

his powerups are:

Budweiser, one bottle of which causes him to stagger about knocking things over.

and a McDonalds Big Mac Meal (with coke) which makes him three times his original size allowing him to flatten all who stand before him, although too many of these powerups may increase risk of heart disease...

and now to the enemies...

first up we have the Skateboarding Toxic PooDog

higher up the food chain we have the Axe-wielding Blind Spinning Indian of Nakedness (he has no eyes)

the next baddie is the Clockwork Jello Monster (jello because it's more american sounding than jelly), these creatures were originally peaceful until Evil Laser-nippled Flying Zombie Robo-Hitler gave them eyebrows so they would appear more menacing...)

next up in this ultimate freakshow is the Pitchforking Hump-backed Redneck Jive-Zombie

which brings us to main boss, the previously mentioned Evil Laser-nippled Flying Zombie Robo-Hitler (america helped us defeat hitler and for that i suppose we should give thanks which i suppose kind of ties in with the theme)

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

scourge

buloght, those little characters you added are great!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Boyd- Absolutely hilarious.  It even sort of looks like the guy has his hand up a turkey's ass and is using it as a boxing glove.

KEEP THEM COMING!

rharpe

Quote from: Pablo on Sun 27/11/2005 09:03:25
But rharpe's entry doesn't meet the rules. It's not using double-wide pixels. Too bad, I love the sprite
Pablo's right, my entry is void because I didn't know what double-wide pixels were... (never had a c64.) Oh well, I tried to make something...  :'(
"Hail to the king, baby!"

Kweepa

You could always update it to use double-wide pixels. And add four more enemies, two power ups and a hero! Go on, you know you want to!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk