TUNE CONTEST - dec 11 to 18 (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by Helm, Sun 11/12/2005 00:34:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Helm

Hello. This here thread is where you will compose music for me. I require of the participants to compose a theme or configuration of themes, with a single emotion in mind. This emotion can be any 'lower' emotion, nothing too complex. So 'fear' or 'adoration' or 'excitement' goes, but 'the strange empty feeling I felt after I ate a bad hotdog that summer day back in '98' doesn't. The point of the exercise will be the following: after all the entries have been posted, the composers will send pms to me with the emotion they were going for. And everybody has listened to everybody elses music, we (well... everybody else than me) will all guess in ONE word, what emotion the other people were going for. Then, after one or two days of guessing, I will reveal the emotions people have gone for, and this contest will sort of announce it's own winner.

I'll suggest you name your files something inconspicuous like 'file002.mp3' and not 'INTENZFEAR.mp3' for apparent reasons.

Go.

Edited by moderator: Since the idea of this particular contest works a bit differently to the otehr turns, I'll stick it temporally to plug it so maybe more people can listen to the entries and give guesses.
WINTERKILL

Nikolas

Ok.

Let's boost this tune contest back on top.

Great idea Helm! I have PMed you about my Nikolastrack. I suppose that naming a track Nikolastrack does not reveale anything for the nature of the work in question...

Note that I have only used GigaPiano. Nothing else. (And some plug-ins...)

http://rapidshare.de/files/9067331/Nikolastrack.mp3.html

or a zipped folder with the MP3 here:
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsuploads/files/Nikolastrack.zip

Have fun!

Nikolas

Pesty

Hello! I have made something for this competition. Even though I am not a musician, I think it is a sexy piece. I bet you cannot guess the emotion!! Here it is:

www.locustleaves.com/theory.mp3

Thank you Helm for letting me use your webspace temporarily. I hope everyone enjoys it!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Ghormak

Achtung Franz! The comic

Helm

WINTERKILL

Helm

just bumping this to say that soon this'll go into phase 2 soon, any last-nimute entries...
WINTERKILL

Gregjazz

My entry:

http://rapidshare.de/files/9414478/entry.mp3.html

EDIT: Yousendit link just in case the rapidshare link doesn't work: http://s22.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2BJF9Q7QCXV1N0AEYK6KR9CQYR

Nikolas

Greg, to many users downloading now, in rapidshare.

I'll try again later...

I guess that this is you playing, but what piano is that?

Gregjazz

Quote from: Nikolas on Sun 18/12/2005 21:22:59
Greg, to many users downloading now, in rapidshare.

I'll try again later...

I guess that this is you playing, but what piano is that?

It's one of the Miroslav Steinway pianos... the unisons aren't perfect, but I feel like that's what makes the piano come alive apart from all the other perfectly tuned piano samples out there.

EDIT: Check my previous post, I put up another download link.

Nikolas

By my clock it is 00:00 now! By Helms clock it should be 02:00.

Helm, when do we start guessing?

Helm

Geoff didn't send his pm yet. But I guess people can start guessing. Here's a trick so this kinda works: you can use up to three different epithets to describe the song, and even if we don't get an exact match (although that's the best scenario) I'll be the judge of what guess came close enough to count. Or as we say around here, to COUTN.
WINTERKILL

Nikolas

I'm not sure I can find epithets but I'm sure that the words I use will be very precise.

Now, in order for this to work, I think we should use spoilers, so that th others [can't] see what we think...

Anyway here goes:

Spoiler

Pesty: Horny, Sexy, Drunk
Ghormark: Courageous, hopefull, "feelin' high"
Geofkhan: Blue, sorrowfull, in love
[close]

I know that these are not exactly feelings, but I hope that the descriptions are right. In case Helm or anybody thinks I should find epithets, let me know... (half of them are epithets actually but still...)

Gregjazz

My guesses:

Spoiler

Nikolas - Pensive, mournful, feeling sorry for oneself
Ghormak - Victorious, joyful, proud
Pesty - Confused, exasperated, distracted (can't focus)
[close]

Helm

These are all fine guesses and yeah, good idea with the spoiler tags. Now, how do we get the masses at gen gen listen to the songs and post too? The more guesses the better. Do I cross-post?
WINTERKILL

Gilbert

While we don't encourage cross-posting most of teh time, I think it's worth doing that this time, so I'll say you may go ahead to do that.

(However, I myself am too lazy to download them and listen to them, like how I ignored all the previous chune contests, so I won't give my opinion this time either.)

Helm

Nah, I guess cross-post is too invasive. Those that are interested already know what's going on I guess.
WINTERKILL

Nikolas

Well I know that 18 people have heard my track, and 5 Geofkhans.

I hope that these people will come and say their opinion.

I just hope that now they have the message that guessing is not only for the contestants... :-\

Gilbert

:) In that case I think it's not as invasive if I stick this temporally to push it a bit, and no, I won't correct my awesume typos!

Ghormak

Oh no, I'm not very good at this, I'm only going to give one guess for each tune.

Spoiler
Nikolas - loneliness (in a good way... seclusion... no, gah my vocabulary fails me. Let's say loneliness of the good kind)
Geoffkhan - longing
Pesty - invincibility! (you are UNDEFEATABLE and your FOES WILL BE DESTROYED by YOUR AWESOME POWER)
[close]
Achtung Franz! The comic

Pesty

I am not the best at guessing what people were going for! Let me try, though:

Spoiler
Geoffkhan: Lonely, sad, thoughtful
Nikolas: Unhappy, unsure, sad
Ghormak: Hopefulness, victorious, TRIUMPH!!
[close]

I don't know, but I liked all of the pieces. Geoffkhan's reminded me of snowing and winter, but since neither of those are emotions, I did not guess that!
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk