Tune Contest 27/12/2005 - 07/01/2006 WINNER: GEOFFKHAN

Started by Nikolas, Tue 27/12/2005 16:40:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

Ok.

I thought very long about this and here it goes:

EXPLOSION

There may come a day, that you will be asked to do some sound designing.
There may come a day, that you will be asked to write music to describe something very specific.

This is one of these days...

There are two ways to go here. The sound designing way and the musical way.

I want 30" +- 10 " of going into the explosion, 5"Ã,  max of the actuall explosion and another 15" +- 5" fading the sound down.

Sound design:What I don't want to hear are ready made stuff found in the internet or elsewhere (from CDs), unless there is some heavy audio manipulation here. Use any plug-ins necessary to do that, but don't give me a ready made meal... At least take various audio clips and assemble them yourselves.

Music:I would like to go only with the sound design idea, but I'm not sure that everyone can play around with audio and since I personally find that even with MIDI you can have wonderfull music every format goes. Mp3, ogg, mid, anything. Any instrumentation and any genre

The totall duration should be between 35" and 65". Pay atention to that! No more than that!

Unfortunately I am out of my home, so I'm unable to post any examples of this, but I hope that I made myself clear...

If the idea is not worth it, I guess I'll know by the posts...

Anything you want to ask just post or PM. Either way I'll know and I'll answer accordingly.

Have fun exploding things.

PS. If you need free webspace try to find a thread about www.americangirlsscouts.something, or PM me and we'll sort something out

Ishmael

Could you tell me how do you measure song lenght in inches? I didn't quite catch the general idea here...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Erenan

The Bunker

DoorKnobHandle

It's a shame that you don't allow songs to be ~23 minutes instead of ~35 seconds. Otherwise something like "Atom Heart Mother" by Pink Floyd would be a great entry... ::)

First the intro with that uber-catchy orchestra chorus section, then the alarm part, followed by the big BANG and then this awesome piano chord progression... *shivers*
That gotta be one of the best songs by one of the best bands around.

EDIT: Sorry for offtopicness. Maybe it gave somebody an idea though...

Haddas

Does it actually have to be a physical explosion or does a musical explosion work?

Damien

QuoteThere may come a day, that you will be asked to do some sound designing.
There may come a day, that you will be asked to write music to describe something very specific.

This is one of these days...

There are two ways to go here. The sound designing way and the musical way.
So I'm guessing it can be both.

Nikolas

Yes " are also seconds... Sorry for the misunderstanding

Both physical and musical goes.

The generall idea is to go up (towards the climax), reach the climax (which shouldn't last a lot) and then go down... The idea is sort of like the climax by dkh which unfortunately had no entries...

But I decided to give it a more "physical" approach.

Either way it is something practical that you may actually be asked to do at some point. And the seconds are there to give you a short guideline...
1. It means that the mp3s or whatever won't be more than 1Mb or something big, which is good.
2. It means that actually people in here can use them (with your permission of course), as I find that every game should have an explosion of some kind...
3. I know it's a shame that I have put such a strict timetable on this, but usually this is how the whole thing works...

IDEAS

light the tnt. give yourself time to run away. The actuall explosion. Derbis falling everywhere.

Have a screeming sound coming your way (or even better use some doppler, for more realsim), make the explosion, and then have a BIG BIG Reverb and a lot of Echo take care of the rest.

Have an orchestra coming in, by adding more instruyments, different drums, guitars, whatever, have the cymballs, or orchestral hits symbolize the explosion, have the orchestra "leace the scene" slowly one by one.

Combine different techniques.

btw, when I first got my first sequencing program (Nuendo), without any instryments, just for the fun of it I tried creating something. With no MIDI. And the only way I thought of going was to record an empty audio track, normalise it (thus getting the hissing sound), and then toying with the pitch shift, some flanger, some reverb etc... You'll be amazed at what you can get out of nothing. And if you use a grungaliser (the plug-in that let's you create crackles like an old record) you can get a single crackle and turn it inot a gunshot...

Just various ideas to try.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I don't know if this fits the rules or not, it's more of an experiment with the new version of SKALE (and mouse controlled volume slide...Yay!).  The concept for it is a bomb has been planted in a building and two people are attempting to flee before it explodes!

42 seconds.  35 second lead-in to the explosion.

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/buildup.ogg

Nikolas

Also a little add on.

It would be nice to explain some things.

IF you have a story in your mind like Progzy say so (if you want that is). If you go to towards sound design you might want to explain how you did some things, so others can benefit from this contest.

ProgrZmax I'll listen to it a little later, as I have no speakers or headphones at the moment :(

Gregjazz

After a lot of work, here's my entry:

Aiko's Fate

To completely enjoy the effort I put in to this song, please turn your volume up and close your eyes as you listen to this or turn your lights off. I am serious. I tried to make my entry very emotionally moving.

Enjoy.

Nikolas

Let's put this comp back on top.

ProgZmax: Yes this is definately an entry and it fits the rules. I like it very much and I love the "clock" feeling I get from the kick... Not to mention the good use of volumes and velocities.

Geoffkhan: It is really obvious that you put a lot of effort to this track. Wonderfull. Who is Aiko?

Everybody: do listen to these two tracks. Visualize ProgZmaxs' story and close your eyes with the volume in the maximum in Geofs case.

I hope more people will join.

Nikolas

Quote from: Nikolas on Mon 02/01/2006 07:38:47
I hope more people will join.

Well nobody did...

This is the end of this contest!

The winner is Geoffkhan

I enjoyed both works very very much, and I feel that everybody should listen to them. As I said earlier ProgZmax track had this "clock" feeling all along which made the tense work even better. I could really see two people running away from a bomb ready to detonate, but I was swipted by Geofs effort.

THe orchestration, chord progression and generall idea (with a little solo voice after the bang! Amazing), was the winner here.

Congrats Geoffkhan! I hope for a new contest with more entries...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk