Tune Contest: Jan. 9 - 16

Started by Gregjazz, Mon 09/01/2006 08:23:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregjazz

No more "leet posts" for me. :P

In this contest I wanted to do something practical--something that applies to making adventure game music.

Here are this tune contest's rules:

Pick out any background entry from one of the previous Background Blitzes and write background music for it. Multiple people choosing the same background is okay.

When you post your tune, please also post the image of the background you chose. The entries may be in MP3, OGG, or MIDI format.

Tips on what I will be looking for:

- Make it suitable for the background you choose. (obviously)
- I would prefer that it doesn't have a very obvious ending to it, for looping's sake. Though I do not expect you to create an entry that loops perfectly, just make the ending subtle.
- Good production. I want to see that you know how to use your music software/hardware well.

Good luck, and enjoy the contest! I will be giving out a prize to the winner! (or top 3 depending on how many entries there are) The prize will most likely be original loops/samples/soundfonts.

m0ds

Make that a signed CD with Apprentice & Apprentice 2 & I'll enter! :P

Pet Terry

Me me!

Hear here. And this is the background:

(by mordalles)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

He-Man

Hi
Great topic for a music contest. I wonder why that haven't been done before (as far as I know anyway).

by InCreator

And here's the song:
http://www.5feetunder.com/game/house.mp3

It's ment for looping so the ending is a little sudden.
I hope you like it...

gameboy

Since it's my first attempt for a tune contest, I'm not sure is it good enough... Anyway, I wanted to make it sad and maybe little bit tragical.
It's here - The Post-apocalyptic Diner song - http://www.zone.ee/escalade/padsong.mp3

And this beautiful background is by Darth Mandarb.

Damien

I decided to go with a BG made by Fizz:

The idea: Dr. Gonzo is freaking out in the bathtub and aren't able to exit the scene untill you've done something about it. Oh, and it has nothing to do with White Rabbit.

The tune: TuneContest.zip
Just scroll down and click on FREE, then wait 20 seconds and enter the code displayed on the screen.

It is loopable, but it works without looping too.

Vel

Bed and breakfast on a road less travelled by Andail

Road Less travelled

Gregjazz

Okay, time to judge:

Vel:

Overall good sequencing. The background looks like a dangerous one because of the cliff, the long (and possibly unsturdy) bridge leading to the leaning inn. Also the silhouetted tree with claw-like branches. You start the song with a calm, almost lonely sound to it and end with a more mysterious, "dangerous" ending, so perhaps that part should come first in the song?

Damien:

Good job on this tune! It sounds a bit like something from Sam & Max (the bass line and and fast keyboard solo). That drummer has one fast hihat foot, though! ;) It has an almost frantic sound to it, which is very suitable to the situation.

Gameboy:

Nice sound overall. The beginning is especially suitable for a post-apocalyptic scene. However, I'm not sure you should add drums like you did. It makes it less mysterious. Also, maybe you could add some ambient pads to fill out the song more? In some sections of the tune it sounds almost empty.

He-Man:

Great tune! Good production, and excellent composition. I love the chord progression. However, when that screaming harmony lead comes in, I question whether this song is suitable for background music. It's a little too imposing. But don't get me wrong, this is a great tune, it's just more of a song than background music. Maybe the solution would be to turn down that lead sound and make it more distant-sounding.

Petteri:

Very good use of General MIDI. It has a good beat without making it "groovy." Nice use of drums in a background song. The word I would use to describe this music is "mission music" due to that low string chug. The thing that makes this tune suitable for the background is that the diner is out in the middle of space. If it were anywhere else (in a less ominous location) the music would be unsuitable. My only comment would be to turn down the vibes a little bit when they first come in.

Overall I declare the winner to be Petteri. Close behind were Damien and He-Man, so I'll be giving out prizes to more than one person this time. Top 3, expect PMs. :)

Pet Terry

Whoo, thanks! The overall quality of this compo was very good, nice job everyone. I have a couple of ideas in my mind, I'll start a new compo shortly.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk