Tune Contest: Jan. 17th - 24th | A winner is you now!

Started by Pet Terry, Tue 17/01/2006 20:58:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Pet Terry

Theme of the week: Pirates!

Imagine you agreed to make a soundtrack for someone's game. Turns out the someone was making a game about pirates, set in the 17th century, so basically what he wants is a piratey soundtrack.

Your task is to make either:
- main theme for the game.
- caribbeanish background tune.

For inspiration/examples, you could listen to the Monkey Island soundtrack, especially the music in CMI and EMI is what I'm after. You can listen to it here. Another tune I absolutely love can be found in Apprentice 2 when you go to the docks.

So basically what I'm looking for is the feel of the tune. I want it to feel piratey/caribbeanish, but also keep in mind that the game takes place in the 17th century. But if YOU feel this electric guitar or slap bass suits the tune very well, go for it! The main point of this compo is to have fun and improve your skills.

Post the link to your entry here, the entry must be mp3, ogg, midi, sid or module (ie. xm, it, mod etc.)

Have fun! I'm looking forward to your entries!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I didn't really want to do something in the style of monkey island since I think it's overused, so I went with a more classical pirate type theme.

Chiptunes \o/

This is the main theme for Buccaneer's Booty.

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/Buccaneer.rar

Gregjazz

Arrr, it's the Dread Pirate Marian!! Don't let the cuteness fool you--she's the worst, cruelest pirate of them all!

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/piratemarian.mp3

---

Instructions on how to groove to this tune: (I don't mean to suggest that there are any groove-empaired people here, but just to let you know how I groove to this tune :))

Nod your head to the right on beats 2 & 4. On beat 2, tap your left foot. On the 4th beat tap your right foot.

Once you get the hang of it you'll know what I mean.

SSH

So this is why Princess Marian has been wearing an eyepatch recently...  ;)

The Bedminster Incident

Somehow the mixing got lost, but anyways.

Blodvarg + S90 + PC = http://rapidshare.de/files/11584312/piratey.zip.html
I wanted that the tune be loopable, yet also being able to be played just once.

Cheers.
- Blodvarg

[EDIT]Um, just listened to Geoffkhan's entry. I hope mine doesn't sound like a copycat of his. If it does: sorry, it's actually not. :/[/EDIT]
A la fin, il y aura seulement de la beauté.

Nikolas

blodvarg: It is about pirates! And it doesn't sound really like geoffkhans... Just one question: Why zip the ogg file? You only gained somewhere around 20 Kbs...

I like each and every entry. Too bad I have absolutely no time to enter this one.

The Bedminster Incident

I didn't know if ogg was accepted, so I zipped it just in case.

Shrugging,
- Blodvarg

EldKatt

This entry would most likely disappoint my fictional employer, as it completely fails to sound piratey--however, I have clung firmly to the suggestion of keeping in mind that the game takes place in the 17th century. Naturally, I would never pass up an opportunity to write some quasi-Baroque dance music! So here's a non-loopable (unless you like your music repetitive) little... main theme, I guess, in the form of a gavotte.

http://biphome.spray.se/erik.igelstrom/agsf/eldkatt-gavotte.ogg

And, for those so inclined, the MIDI file.

http://biphome.spray.se/erik.igelstrom/agsf/eldkatt-gavotte.mid

(As implied above, I'm not expecting to win or anything, considering my heinous disregard for the rules, but it was fun.)

He-Man

Hi

I hope I'm not to late to enter this competition.

http://www.5feetunder.com/game/Hail_to_my_Long_John.mp3
I guess this is supposed to be the main theme of the game, since it doesn't loop that well.

I'm pretty happy with the result, especially because I made and recorded this in less than two hours.
I hope you like it.

Your pal
Niels

Nikolas

great! I love it Niels.

EDIT: Too much exctiment...

Pet Terry

dun dun dUN DUN DUNNN

Whee, piratey songs. \o/ Every one of the entries gave me heebie jeebies and really got me to piratey mood, arrr!

ProgZmax: A cracktro tune, awesome. The melody is straight out of Nightwish's song (well, probably not, but it could be!) and I like it very much. Very nice track, good jobba!

Geoffkhan: This track is like sex, only better. I even figured out how to groove to it! I dig the instruments and the overall feeling of the tune, awosomo work!

Blodvarg: Just great. Very moody, great choice of instruments and overall very well composed tune. Especially the strings towards the end of the tune send chills down my spine. Keep it up!

EldKatt: EldKatt actually finished his entry in time. :o The tune really captures the feeling of the setting even though it doesn't sound very piratey. But it could be used in governor's mansion as a background tune! Keep entering these compos, Kattypops!

He-Man: Great. Very Monkey Islandish, and the style of your tunes tells what kind of music you possibly listen to. The solo part towards the end of the tune was a nice touch, but the main melody was pure sex! Next make a pirate game!

Btw. how do you guys come up with those pirate melodies?

Okay, so the winner is...

umm, let me think for a while.

He-Man! With Blodvarg coming very close second. It wasn't easy to judge this compo, you know!

Great work! Thanks to everyone who entered, the overall quality of this compo was amazing, possibly one of the highest ever in Tune Contest's history. I want everyone to keep entering the future compos and I'll do my best to do it so myself, too.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

The Bedminster Incident

I love the fact that the winning tune was last-minute posted. Like, 90 minutes before Petteri's post. Could be out of some cheap Hollywood movie.

Congratulations, He-Man. I dig your tune--you've really earned this.

I also think Geoffkhan made the steel drums sound better than me (I didn't do anything with the velocity there, I somehow didn't manage that, it always sounded, like, weird), but thanks for that 2nd place anyways. I didn't dare to think I'd get this far.

Sorry, Petteri, but I don't know how I came up with that melody. I suppose it's just a bit more folky/medieval (maybe for pirates have not arrived in the 17th century there, from an educational point of view) than typical music of that time. But when I did the tune, I just put some random melody in there. It was as easy as that, really.

Great competition, guys. I loved it!

- Blodvarg

Gregjazz

Congratulations He-Man (didn't actually hear your entry until just now--very piratey!), and beware that Pirate Marian doesn't disembowel you in your sleep. :P

He-Man

Thanks a lot for all your nice words.
I also thought that all the songs where very great and I'm not really sure that I deserve to win this one. But you won't hear me complain.

I'll start a new contest very soon...

Cheers

Gregjazz

Quote from: He-Man on Thu 26/01/2006 18:51:06
...and I'm not really sure that I deserve to win this one.

Of course you deserve to win! Your entry was top-notch, and it was obvious you put in a lot of work. :)

Looking forward to the next contest...

The Bedminster Incident

Like I said, you've really earned this one.
I mean, the idea was very great, I'd never have come up with that; and what you made of it--awesome.

Really.

- Blodvarg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk