Spite Jam- 1/27 to 2/4

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Sat 28/01/2006 03:54:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I added an extra day since I started this late.

The topic of this pixel adventure is...Science Fiction Classics!

Take a vehicle from your favorite sci fi film and translate it into something usable for a cutscene!  Make the Nostromo...Fashion the Nautilaus, or create the ship from Forbidden Planet.

Max dimensions:

200x200

Max Colors:

Revan

sorry I don't understand what you're asking us to do.. could you show some examples...

mwahahaha

Does it have to be afrom a movie/ Tv show?  Or can it be from a game/book as well?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Revan-  It's quite simple.  I want you to make a science fiction vessel from your favorite science fiction film.  If you don't have a favorite film then look for some ships in science fiction based films and draw one....Like the Enterprise, or an X-Wing...As long as it looks like something you'd see in a game cutscene.

mwahaha- Yes, it has to be from a film.

Nacho

*Pghhh* Imperial shuttle Tyridium approaching to Death Star *pghhh*

The left image is for seeing how would it work in a cutscene. The right image is the sprite itself. Sorry for the *.gif, it spoiled some colours, but I still have the original image in png, if ProgZmax needs it to judge better... Please tell me.

Someone will clearly beat me, anyway, so, I don't think it will be needed.Ã,  :)
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

DoorKnobHandle

Farlander, that is amazing! :o Did you make this for a game?

I want to see more Star Wars stuff!!

seaduck

This kind of subject makes it very tempting to just take a picture from the movie and trace it. To what degree can we use reference pictures?

Oh and can it be a vessel from an animated SCI-FI series?

Nacho

Dkh... I did it for sprite practising, I am quite aware that I couldn't happilly release a star wars game without danger.

Seaduck... which is the problem with tracing, if it finally ends as a nice and originall sprite? I haven't traced mine, though, but I don't see the problem with it...

scourge

hey farlander, that looks quite amazing! Did you use the photo manipulation technique you used for the lance armstrong sprite? Really great work.

Nacho

This time I used the old fashioned "google for tons of pics" and made my own image from scratch, watching those pics.

scourge

well, it's excellently done! I won't be able to come even near that but i'm still gonna enter  ;D

mwahahaha

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/mwahahaha10/stardestroyer.jpg
A Star Destroyer. (ala Star Wars)
No references except memory.  Some of it's a little out of proportion/not accurate.

scourge

Well, here's my try. at 2x in 14 colours.

mwahahaha

esper

mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:

http://pages.videotron.com/jfp/swgallery/images/anh/Star-Destroyer-front.jpg

Didn't want to /img it because it was pretty big. Your command bridge and shield generators are obviously quite a bit too large. Your image wasn't bad by any means, however. If you feel you've lost, why don't you take this image as a reference and try another?
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

mwahahaha

It was a sarcastic comment about the quality of buloughts pic.  But thanks anyway, I've learned a valuable lesson, "dont try to replicate detailed things from memory, it doesn't work".

MarVelo

I was gunna do a Gou'ld Glider and/or mothership but it would take me weeks to get it on the level of Bulght and Farlander

JimmyShelter

Nice contest!
I'll try and whip something up this week. But first to decide with SF movie is my favorite.... very hard.

'Spite Jam'.. nice touch  ;)

Damien

My entry, Dune's ornithopter in 3 colors.

Drawn, inked, scanned, resized, pixel pushing done in mspaint.

There are many versions of this vehicle (games, movie, series, books) and I made this one using all of them as a reference.

I might change the palette a bit later.

EDIT: Ok, to justify a 3 color sprite, here it is in a C64 and EGA palette colors:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk