Coding Competition Feb 1 - Feb 15 (WINNER: Rocco)

Started by Akumayo, Thu 02/02/2006 00:03:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Akumayo

The Rules:
1. Must be open-source. We can hardly inspect your coding if we cant see it.
2. Must contain instructions for how to add to an existing game, this will obviously be easier if the scripting is done as a module
3. Only use of the 3D, TCP/IP and maths plugins are allowed
4. Must provide sample game using your code.
5. Team efforts are allowed, and you're probably expected to get help for sprites, etc from elsewhere.
6. As far as possible, entries will be judged on their scripting and gameplay rather than GFX, SFX, music, etc.
7. Winner will be decided by 1 week of voting at the end.

This Comp topic?
Ya' know what I love?Ã,  Old school video games.Ã,  Pong, Asteroids, Battle Zone, Centipede, Super Breakout, Tempest, Pac Man, awesome stuff!Ã,  So, with this being a coding comp and all, lets think outside the Adventure Game Studio box, and look back to our roots, old school consoles.
So, this comps topic---

Old Style Arcade Game Engine

That's right, I want to see arcade game engines.Ã,  Be it an engine to build your own asteroids game or a simple physics engine to see where the paddle should knock that little white dot!Ã,  I want old-school!Ã,  Let's kill the aliens, blow up the tanks, shoot down the missles, and fight mutant bugs!!!

-Remember though, I want the engine for building a game of this genre, one that can be turned into a game.Ã,  The demo game could surely be an example of a game made with the engine of course-
EDIT---
Keep in mind coders, that the scripting doesn't neccessarily HAVE to be a module, it just might be easier that way, for a topic like this, it might be better to go with a template.Ã,  Though a module would be harder to code, and therefore maybe earn more recognition... your choice...
END EDIT---

Happy coding everyone!

-Regards, Glacies Akumayo

....I wish I could enter..... :P
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

Kweepa

Great topic!
There's nothing to stop you creating an entry - you just can't win. But you're already a winner!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

scourge

I agree, great topic!  :)
You should have a say in all the coding topics!

Akumayo

Even if the topic is good, the question remains, will anyone enter?

Rocco

Moox

I was working on a 1942 engine a while back, lost it all in a reformat though :/ Ill try to get something working again.

Rocco

its one thing, to make an arcade game with AGS,
but to make a customizable module for arcade games, is another one -
nearly impossible, i guess.
but lets see what's coming up.

Akumayo

Here's some inspiration to you guys:

My personnal set of Old School Style Games built in AGS.Ã,  This game contains 6 playable games that use a Pong-style physics engine.Ã,  (Includes a weak mock-up of Super-Breakout)Ã,  Sorry there's no control instruction for the last game on the list, I forgot to add it.Ã,  It's:
Player 1:
Ã,  'A' to move bars left
Ã,  'F' to move bars right
Player 2:
Ã,  'K' to move bars up
Ã,  'M' to move bars down

Enjoy and be inspired to enter:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/oldschooladventure.zip

(Best played in full-screen)

-Regards, Glacies Akumayo

Colxfile

There is a remote possiblility that I have an entry in the making. I may even make the deadline.

No, it's not Secret Quest. Honest. :P
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Akumayo

Just wanted to post and remind everyone of the upcoming deadline.  Only 4 days left, there'd better be a blowout of entries between now and the 15th!
Good luck to all!

Colxfile

This is the best I could do:

Centipede

It's very buggy, and is very restricted in what you can do (ie you can move and shoot the moving centipede and mushrooms). But short of starting again, it's the best I can do in the time.

EDIT: The sprite folder has now been added.
Always carry a UV marker pen with you. When you go to a shop or a friend's house, if you see something you like, put your name and postcode on it. If it gets stolen and subsequently recovered, the police will get in touch with you so that they can 'return' it.

Rocco

Here is my entry - AGS Invaders
a Shoot'em Up module.

Downloads:
Game: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=689
GameSources and Module: http://www.virtual-illusion.com/board/index.php?topic=8.0

Was a lot of fun (and work) to build this module, thanks to Akumayo for this topic.
I havent achieved my goal 100%, cause i aimed to rebuild Space Invaders, which isnt possible with the overlay
approach at the moment, but the result isnt that bad, and i guess it can be redesigned with
the raw draw functions and with a lot more enemies. :-).
The good thing is that it is very easy to implement in other games.
Build a new room, in player enters screen before fadein make the initialisations (4 functions).
and it should work (hopefully with all resolutions).
please read the readme for further explanations.

Akumayo

Excellent, we have entries!!Ã,  ;D
I had begun to worry.Ã,  There's still a few hours left for the rest of you, if you're going to enter, you'd better hurry!

Colxfile:  Where's your source?  The module?  I can't inspect your coding to see how you did it!  How can I cast a proper vote if I don't properly know all the entries?  We need to see the source.

Akumayo

Well, times up.  I declare the voting OPEN!!!
I'll cast mine.

Though colxfile's game was interesting, rocco's seems much more able to do what the topic asked, so I cast my wholehearted vote for:

AGS Invaders, a Shoot'em Up module, by Rocco

Don't forget to vote people!

Colxfile

Quote from: Glacies Akumayo on Thu 16/02/2006 01:56:11
Colxfile:Ã,  Where's your source?Ã,  ...

Oh. I'd tried to get around the 'need some kind of a module' limitation by just having most of it in a room file. Import the room into the game. Edit the room script. That was my reasoning.

Whoops!  :-[

Rocco

thx akumayo,
unfortunatly, the interest in this competition == null.

i vote for colxfile, a very couraged attempt.

hopefully a few more people will also engage the voting,
cause its not much fun, when only the rulesetter and the developers
arrange it among themselves.

Ashen

I fully intended to enter this time, but got the timing totally wrong and thought I still had time. My vote goes to Rocco, as I thought the result was the most fun to play. (I know that's not really the point of a coding competition, but it was the deciding factor.)

I absolutely WILL enter the next one, though, promise.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Saberteeth

I also vote for Rocco and the (almost) Space Invaders because of the game's ability to be used in other games(eg. the player walks into an arcade shop and instead of having a dissapointed gamer we have a gamer who can acctually try some of the games!) Ã, :D Yay!

Akumayo

Well, it's been awhile since anyone's voted.  I declare the voting closed! 

The winner and creator of the next competition is to be:

Rocco for his AGS Invaders Module

I hope we have a great topic and many entries upcoming!

Rocco

Thanks for votingÃ,  :), and also thanks to colxfile for his entry.

I also hope for many entries next competition.
hmm great topic, great topic...

Quote from: Ashen on Sun 19/02/2006 16:36:08

I absolutely WILL enter the next one, though, promise.

this is a word :-)
so we have at least one.Ã,  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk