Suggestion: Pamela lip-synching for Lucasarts speech

Started by IceMan, Tue 21/02/2006 12:04:30

Previous topic - Next topic

IceMan

Hi there!

I've experimenting with different methods for lip-synching in my current project, Day of the Jackass, and the Pamela app really is fantastic.  Problem is, AGS currently only supports .pam files for Sierra-style speech.

I understand why this is: character's mouths tend to be much smaller in non-Sierra-style games, so the effect would usually be lost.  However, my project is hi-res, and the lip-synching would be quite noticable.

I've uploaded a little test I made to show how the game would look with Pamela support.  I know it'd be a pain to implement this just for me, so I hope you like the result!

Many thanks!

Clickie!

HillBilly

Since I use voice acting and hi-res graphics, I too could use something like this. I've never tried Pamela before, but with that result, it could come to great use in voiced games.

I don't got much to contribute, just wanted to show my support.

HeirOfNorton

I'd use it. (Well, I'd WANT to use it. Whether I actually ever got around o doing so...)
I was actually half-considering making this suggestion myself, but wasn't sure if anyone else would want it.

HoN

Kweepa

The lip synch looks good - even on the guy with the helmet!
Great voice acting too. I really should get around to playing DNG.
[EDIT] About the suggestion - sounds like a useful one.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Afflict

Pumaman

You're right about the reason this was never implemented, and nobody has really requested it before. However, since it looks like you would use the feature, I'll certainly consider it. I can't promise anything though, I'm afraid.

GarageGothic

I never really considered turning Shadowplay into a talkie. But as I do use LucasArts speech for large character portraits (to emulate the GK1 style), I would certainly be interested in this feature if I decided to add audio.

Grundislav

I've downloaded Pamela and am playing around with it, but for some reason AGS doesn't seem to like any of the phonemes associated with E.  Anybody know any way to fix this?

IceMan

Thanks for the support, guys!  Nice to see other people are interested in this.  And thanks for taking a look, CJ!

Grundy:
I think I had this problem too.Ã,  I tried putting the .pam file into the game's folder (not just the speech folder) and it worked.Ã,  Don't ask me how that makes sense!

Steve:
The audio clips were just taken from random games on my hard drive (Anachronox and Codename Eagle)Ã,  Should have mentioned this earlier :p

Snarky

Isn't that Indy's voice from FOA in the first clip, or am I imagining things? I couldn't for the life of me remember that dialogue from the game.

IceMan

No, it's Sly Boots off Anachronox (best non-adventure game out there!), right after he escapes a planet that splits in half.Ã,  :)  I never heard the voice of Indy in FOA, though, maybe it's the same guy.

Been doing a couple more tests with this Pamela stuff.Ã,  It's so neat, I would definately use it if I could.

IceMan

The main reason hardly anybody's been making use of pamela lip-synching is because it's been extremely labourious.  However, smiley's automatic pamela creation plugin does a superb job of creating realistic .pam files for you.  I've tested it out and it's absolutely excellent.

My game in production, Da New Guys: Day of the Jackass, is nearing completion, and lip-synching would be a major plus with it.  If there's any chance this feature could be implemented soon I would be immensely grateful.  Not only would it boost the quality of the game, it would also encourage others to give their projects an extra sheen of professionalism.

Thanks.

Dualnames

Wow, you're working on that! Well, concerning pam files, Grundislav has been using that a lot, so better ask him.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Pumaman

This feature is still under consideration, but I can't make any promises about when it might surface.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk