Sprite Jam: Evolutionary dead-end 13-20th March 2006

Started by biothlebop, Mon 13/03/2006 17:34:08

Previous topic - Next topic

biothlebop

Nature works in mysterious ways, fumbling about in the dark. Sometimes it digs a hole for itself.
Or as Kinoko said: Anything that has evolved but is doomed to a short life due to bad "planning".
You don't have to restrict yourself to existing/extinct organisms.
Size: max 200 x 200 and 16 colors. Please include description/text/thoughts. Use your imagination. Everything organic, even plants, count. Godspeed.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Afflict

2x

Heh, its a pebble well actually its wee pebble from a long line of decending rocks. So yeah
hes got a complex but makes for a great adventure game hero... LoL

Sam.

my entry

Unfortunatley, due to high visibility the swamp dwelling "boolsai" was made extinct exactly twenty one second after its emergence into the womb.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Afflict

Zooty I think mythic creatures was the last sprite jam ;)

// Edit

Lol sure you can figure out what that is, its the real sprite jam...

Oh and BTW ZOOTY : HUH?

Sam.

Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Mordalles

i didn't really understand the topic, but i saw the word "plant" somewhere in there, so i did a plant:

This plant is a meat-eater. For him to catch meat, he has to soar through the sky, like a hawk, to spy on his innocent prey far below, and then swoop down to catch his surprised prey. There is one problem which evolution didn't take into consideration. Being a plant, it is rooted firmly into the ground, and therefore can't move. Making his wings useless, and him unable to catch food. Unless an unsuspecting adventure character gets too close to him, of course.

edit: hmm, he probably needs a few more darker shades.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Kinoko

I must admit, I'm a little unclear on the topic...

Do you mean something that kind of seems organic and plant-like? Or just anything that has evolved but is doomed to a short life due to bad "planning" (rather like Zooty's target guy).

Stefano

Quote from: Kinoko on Tue 14/03/2006 01:33:13
anything that has evolved but is doomed to a short life due to bad "planning"
I guess that's it. At least that's what I got from the title... the explanation on the topic is a bit vague.
Trying to make my first AGS game.

Afflict

Quote from: Kinoko on Tue 14/03/2006 01:33:13
I must admit, I'm a little unclear on the topic...
Thats why i drew a rock...

big brother

Maybe figuring out the topic is all part of the challenge!

Possible leads:
Nature
Hole
Imagination
Plants
Organism
Reality

The secret to the topic may lie in some combination of those nouns. If only we could connect them!
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I was going to spend more time on this but I don't have the time, and so, in c-64 style, 100x200 and 10 colors I present

I had a bit of fun

Alun

Er, ProgZ, just a minor heads-up: A human is a Homo sapiens, with an S.  Not Homo sapien.  That's a very common mistake; a lot of people assume the "S" is just a plural ending, but it's not--it's part of the name.  There's no such thing as a "Homo sapien".

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

biothlebop

Quoteanything that has evolved but is doomed to a short life due to bad "planning"
Yes. Think giraffes without treetops to eat leaves from etc. It can be completely imaginary/extraterrestrial.
Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

SSH

Quote from: Alun on Tue 14/03/2006 09:00:59
Er, ProgZ, just a minor heads-up: A human is a Homo sapiens, with an S.Ã,  Not Homo sapien.Ã,  That's a very common mistake; a lot of people assume the "S" is just a plural ending, but it's not--it's part of the name.Ã,  There's no such thing as a "Homo sapien".

Plenus stercoris es

Quote from: Wikipedia
Homo sapiens is Latin for thinking man. As with all Linnaean species names, this is singular in Latin (plural would be homines sapientes) but it is generally treated as plural in English, with the corresponding singular back-formation Homo sapien.

Alun

Wikipedia is not an infallible resource.  It's generally pretty reliable, but sometimes it contains misinformation.  I'd consider that an example.  The fact that many people misconstrue "Homo sapiens" to be a plural doesn't make it correct.

(Also, note that the actual Wikipedia article on humans consistently uses "Homo sapiens", with an S, throughout.  The quote you gave is from an article on back formations, and IMO it's misleading at best in suggesting that "Homo sapien" is a correct construction.   If you're going to turn to Wikipedia to support a point, it's better to at least turn to an article that's about the subject under discussion, not one that just mentions it in passing.)

[EDIT: Never mind about Wikipedia's inaccuracy.  In fact, there's nothing wrong with the article you quote; the problem is that you're quoting it out of context.  If you read the entire article, it makes it clear that back formations are not always considered standard English, and that the examples of back formations it gives aren't necessarily "correct".  As a matter of fact, earlier drafts of some articles in Wikipedia apparently explicitly addressed the incorrectness of "Homo sapien", but it never made it into the final articles: see, for example, here (scroll a little over halfway down, to the part beginning with "My Latin is weak".)

For pages explicitly addressing this matter, see, for example, here and here.

And to avoid cluttering up the Sprite Jam thread more than we already have, if you want to discuss this further we should probably take it to PMs...]

[EDIT2: Actually, I should have done this through PMs in the first place.  My apologies for cluttering the thread.  Moderators, feel free to delete my messages here; sorry.]

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

SSH

Quote from: Alun on Tue 14/03/2006 10:51:28
The fact that many people misconstrue "Homo sapiens" to be a plural doesn't make it correct.

Langauge is defined by its use. Therefore, if lots of people use it like that then it is correct.

Out of interest, would you describe Homo Sapiens as a primate? Because primate is a back-formation from the latin primates. English is not latin.

Just so we don't get to OT:

seaduck

Homo Sapiens being a pluralÃ,  ;D LOL that's a good one. I'd never think of that, becase in Czech no plural form ends in -s. But for a english speaker this might be confusing.

It is true though that some plural forms end in -is or -as in Latin. (But never in -ns).

BTW The full name for a modern human is 'homo sapiens sapiens' which doesn't allow for mistake.Ã,  ;)

Nacho

Homo is a name, and sapiens is an adjective. The plural should have been (not sure if you must declinate adjectives in latin), but at least "Homi" in spite of Homo (and then Sapiens, or its plural).

Sapiens means "intelligence", in Spanish we have "Sapiencia" which sounds very simillar, even with the "s" sound (-cia = [seea]).

So, "Homo sapiens" is singular. The plural should have been something like "Homi Sapiensii" or something like that.

And now, go on with sprites.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

nihilyst

"Homines sapientes", to be more precise. But that's OT, and I am ashamed for that. Please forgive me. I just could not look at "homo sapiensii" without correcting. Sorry, Farlander ;)

cheers
nihilyst

Nacho

Thanks for the correction. As said, I never claimed that mine was the correct version, just that it was "better" than saying than "Homo Sapien" is the singular of "Homo Sapiens"  :D.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk