Tragic Tune Contest 20/3 - 28/3

Started by TD244, Mon 20/03/2006 19:23:32

Previous topic - Next topic

TD244

Time for another contest :D
This time try to write the most sad and tragic theme ever :D Think of the most cute main character ever being killed, of FF7 Aerith's death, SWars Anakin's going into the lava, whatever!
Let's see how well you can turn that music into tears.  :'( That's the only restriction.

Nikolas

Kiss of Death
2Mb, 1:28

I think it fits the rules, perfectly. And moreover it is a little bit heroic also :D

Hope you'll enjoy it!

DoorKnobHandle

Hell, why not... I'll present to you:

The Darkest Of All Winters

This is a short guitar solo (<2 mins). Consider that it was completly improvised as well, please. I would've certainly done some things better if I would have written it out before. I believe that electric guitar with the right effects can seriously scream out and express sadness/pain to the point.

EDIT: And sorry for the sound quality. It was an awful effect preset I used, because I thought it sounded good at the time I recorded this (actually this preset sounds great when played through real cabinet speakers or guitar amps, but it doesn't sound good when recording directly into the pc soundcard).

Nikolas: I loved your piece. Actually it was so good, that I felt the need to try and enter with something completly different to what you did.

ManicMatt

Quote from: Nikolas on Mon 20/03/2006 19:39:49
Kiss of Death
2Mb, 1:28

I think it fits the rules, perfectly. And moreover it is a little bit heroic also :D

Hope you'll enjoy it!

You bastard! You made me get moved and cry! Just the one tear. But still! Ah!

DKH: Slick skillz with that guitar man!

biothlebop

Hell is like Tetris, make sure that you fit.

Paper Carnival

Here's a short midi:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/sadtune.mid

I don't like it a lot though. Is it ok if I make another entry?

He-Man

Hello there

Here's my entry:

http://www.5feetunder.com/game/sadhiphop.mp3
(right click and choose Save As...)

I'm not sure it ended up being that sad, but I like the mood in it.
It's a little hip hopish. It even got some scratching.
The tune also contains a sample taken from the Hardcore band Rifu. I just thought I would give them a little credit because they rock!

I hope you like it. Enjoy!

bspeers

He-man, I am working on a juggling show (artsy style object-manipulation) with a friend, would you mind if we used that music?  It's awesome, and fits the mood of the show just about perfectly!
I also really liked my old signature.

Pet Terry

Sorry for this off-topicness madness.

He-Man, that's a fantastic track. The scratching is also very good, did you do it by yourself? I can imagine the juggling show bspeers could pull out with this track!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Nikolas

I honestly have to agree, HE Man! This is a great track. And the mood is absolutely right!

He-Man

Hey and thanks for all the nice comments.

Bspeers (if that is your real name) - Feel free to use the track.

On the scratching question: No I didn't do the scratching. I sampled some royalty free scratching from the internet and fixed the tempo. After that I cut it in to small pieces (1/16 or 1/32 notes) and then mixed them around untill I got a "melody" I liked.
I know it's cheating but I don't have turn tables...

Thanks again

Kinoko

He-Man: I could be listening to this track all day at this rate. Soooooo good ^_^

Nik: You know I love that song. Reeks of emotion! (in a good way!)

TD244

Wow, what a couple of very nice entries you got there :) Here we go with the scores.

I divided it into three categories, Tragicness (50%) (that's what the contest is basically about :)), composition/arrangment (35%) (or how well done the song is), production (15%) (or how good the samples (if any), eq, mastering, etc are. I tried to keep this last one low so equipment doesn't matter much).

Note to self: ugh, I hate being the only judge ;)

Nikolas - Kiss of death
Tragicness: 8 (4)
Composition/Arrangment: 8 (2.8 )
Production: 7 (1.05) (now that's a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig hall :) )
Total: 7.85

dkh - The darkest of all winters
Tragicness: 8 (4)
Composition/Arrangment: 6 (2.1 )
Production: 6 (0.9)
Total: 7

biothlebop - ADHD orchestra is sad
Tragicness: 4 (2) (hmm, it would be awesome for a crazy machine though :) )
Composition/Arrangment: 5 (1.75) too chaotic for my taste :-/ I'm afraid
Production: 6 (0.9)
Total: 4.65

Guybrush Peepwood - sadtune
Tragicness: 5 (2.5)
Composition/Arrangment: 5 (1.75)
Production: 4 (0.6)
Total: 4.85

He-Man - sadhiphop
Tragicness: 7 (3.5)
Composition/Arrangment: 8 (2.8 )
Production: 9 (1.35)
Total: 7.65

So, with 7.85 points, Kiss of death by Nikolas is the winner, followed by a really really close Sadhiphop by He-man with 7.65 (with an awesome song, a bit more tragic and you'd have nailed it ;)!)

Nikolas

Thanks! I will post the new contest soon enough!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk