Revival Of MI - inventory up for C&C

Started by Electroshokker, Sat 25/03/2006 19:05:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Electroshokker

An in-game screenshot of the inventory (inventory items are irrelevant, they will all be replaced by new ones)

Any comments? (the lighting, ...?)

DanClarke

looks kind of cool, although i dont think the shape will do any favours for the amount of space in it.

I do'nt really have ay qualms about the 3D (perhaps it could be a little more lighter and saturated) but i think it'd be nice to see a 2D version as well.

Electroshokker

Quote from: DanClarke on Sat 25/03/2006 19:17:09
looks kind of cool, although i dont think the shape will do any favours for the amount of space in it.

that's not much of an issue, since I can add sliders (the ropes), but I'll take it into consideration.

Quote from: DanClarke on Sat 25/03/2006 19:17:09I do'nt really have ay qualms about the 3D (perhaps it could be a little more lighter and saturated) but i think it'd be nice to see a 2D version as well.

hmm... I asked one of my art guys to make a 2D version, so we'll see.

As for more light and saturation:

DanClarke

the lighting is certainly better, but the 'glosiness' has become more of an issue. Forgive me for not mentioning it in my last post, but presumeably this is some sort of pouch, which would be made of a cloth. Those kinds of materials dont reflect light in such a 'glossy' way, as is, it looks like rubber or plastic.

Try and adjust the lighting settings before you render it again. :)

MarVelo

Try to make the inside of the bag less mystic and foggy. I know what you are trying to accomplish by making the bag look magical so that i can contain so many items. It is a good idea and many games have tried such an idea but I have yet to see one that pulls it off well.

ciborium

The inside of the bag needs to be darker (less illuminated?)
than the ouside of the bag in order to show depth.

Right now it looks like someone is pushing up on the bottom of the bag.

Maybe put your lights around the bag to illuminate the outside; and put a very weak light over the top. Just enough that you can see that there is a bottom.

ildu

I say stop fiddling around with 3d and just draw the damn thing. It may even prove to be an easier task to just draw and color it, than it is to make the 3d model look presentable.

Mordalles

i would make the inventory 2d as well. if it looked more 2d, then it would have been fine, but it just doesn't fit in well with the rest of the game (from what ive seen).

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Electroshokker

Here's a 2D version: (not fully finished, quick mock-up)

and the 3D version with a little different lighting:

Kinoko

2D one looks a hundred times better!

Krazy

My Stuffs:
Tumblr

fed27

Nikolas

seaduck

Mats Berglinn

I say 2D version fits much better than 3D. Haven't got much comments save one: If you compair the background with the GUI, the inventory does have black lines in sort of comic-book style. I suggest to try shift the black lines into darker version of the color of the bag (or sack or whatever). Otherwise it's great.

Electroshokker

Quote from: seaduck on Sun 26/03/2006 10:39:10
yes, 2D rules  ;D

ok, 2D it is. Time to improve it somewhat though. Feel free to C&C the 2D one.

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Sun 26/03/2006 10:50:30
If you compair the background with the GUI, the inventory does have black lines in sort of comic-book style. I suggest to try shift the black lines into darker version of the color of the bag (or sack or whatever). Otherwise it's great.

ok, will do.

ildu

These comments are for the 2D:

- It's way too symmetrical for CMI style. I suggest moving the knot to the lower right side of the bag.
- Use more time to detail and properly draw the rope. Don't leave stubs of the rope so clean-cut and actually make the knot from the rope.
- Make more variation to the shape of the bag. The two folds there look really symmetrical.
- If you wanted, you could easily make the bag a larger size and perhaps less plump and flatter (as if it was laid on the floor). Just an option you could try.
- Make some holes and tores on the fabric of the bag.
- As for the brush work, I suggest using subtler burn&dodge brushes rather than sharp levels of shading.

Check the following for references:

The Whispered World inventory, similar to yours:
http://www.horrorgame.de/an/elemente/newspic/screenshot/whisperedworld05.jpg

A Vampyre Story inventory, different, but a nice style to emulate:
http://www.amegames.com/images/vs/screenshots/inventory.jpg

Electroshokker

notice: I'm not the one who made the 3d/2d bag, I'm just the project coördinator

3d bag's by Hllink,

2d by Zyndikate

new version: (don't mind the background, we're not using that)

nihilyst

That's waaaaaay better. I really like it.

Chicky

ace!

Maybe hit up the contrast a little?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk