Tune Contest 29/03 - 5/04 Winner announced

Started by Nikolas, Wed 29/03/2006 14:08:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

Hmmm... A new idea... something that could be usefull in an adventure game... hmmm...

Okay!

NIGHT TUNE

Yes ,that's right! Nothing else really...

It's night, it's dark, it can be scary, it can be outside a club, or disco, it can be with lights, over the moonlight, near a castle, with a witch, without one, in the blue laggoon, in your house, outside you house, while having sex (with your lawfully married wife of course ;D), in a closet, in your bed, while dreaming, anything really goes.

But it must give the mood of a night...

Four of images to steer you imagination...

I need to see lots of entries, so please enterÃ,  ;D If anybody needs webspace I can offer it for the time of the contest, no problem, just PM me!

DoorKnobHandle

HERE is my entry (length: ~3 minutes / size: ~2.7MB).

Hopefully this will drive some participation into this competition!

Some facts about the song:

> Created in two days using Fruity Loops and various plug-ins and samples as well as Cool Edit Pro and my acoustic guitar.
> It's one of the few productions in which I actually combined guitar music with electronic elements.
> I don't think I ever made a song that took so long to mix down considering its length (this track is 2:08 minutes and it took almost 10 minutes to mix it down) - that's probably because I used a lot of effects such as Reverb, Compressor etc.

I found it quite hard to describe a night through a song by the way - I hope that  I managed to let some of the night feeling shine through the music, but I am really not sure whether everybody can receive the same night feeling from the song...

Nikolas

Actually it sounds GREAT!

And it gives me the sense of night, for some reason which I can't pinpoint right now!

Great!

Only one question: You spent 10 minutes to mix it, or something else instead of minutes? Cause it sounds better than 10 minutes mixing.

Come on guys! I spent one hour looking for these photos in Yahoo! Give me some music to listen to!

DoorKnobHandle

Hehe, thanks Nikolas! No, I spent hours on mixing it. I was talking about "mixing it down" - which means the time it takes the program to calculate all included samples, plug-ins etc. into one final mp3 file. This process is called "mixing down" in Fruity Loops, while it's referred to simple "saving as .mp3" in Cool Edit Pro. Don't know how other tools call this...

EDIT: And more entries! C'mon everybody! ;D

nihilyst

That's sounds great, dkh!

Unfortunately I'm not good in composing music. I would participate then; "Night" is a great topic.

cheers
nihilyst

Obi

He-Man

Hi, the entries sound good so far.

Here's mine:
http://www.5feetunder.com/game/DJRollo-Ichliebedeinerschwans.mp3

I've got inspired by the disco picture. I've never done techno before so I hope you like it.
Take some E and dance all night long to it...

Cheers

Nikolas

Yay!

More entries!

More entries!

All three are lovely! Yes! They are! Listen to them! All of them! YAY!

DoorKnobHandle

Seeing how I recently got some competition, I decided to update my song. It now features a short new part and an actual guitar solo. Additionally, I changed some of the mastering (volumes and pans mostly). Please judge me on the new version, Nikolas! :D

I edited the link in my first post (HERE is the new link again).
It's now ~3 minutes and ~2.7 MB...

So, there's one day left, does anybody else think about entering?

Nikolas

Oh my God!

This is wonderfull!

Haven't heard it yet, but only the gesture is just great! The competition spirit is still here! Even without many entries.

Come on guys! Anyone else? Honestly someone else?

Gregjazz

Quote from: Nikolas on Tue 04/04/2006 11:52:57
Oh my God!

This is wonderfull!

Haven't heard it yet, but only the gesture is just great! The competition spirit is still here! Even without many entries.

Come on guys! Anyone else? Honestly someone else?

I might be able to cook something up... we'll see. I've had my eyes on this contest. ;)

DoorKnobHandle

I'm really sorry, but I had to change my song entry once again. This time I noticed I made a simple mixing error with some parts. So here comes the definite final version:

MY FINAL ENTRY...

Please judge me based on this very entry! Sorry for all the confusion! It was absolutely my fault. I edited all other links I gave just to be sure that there is no misunderstanding!

Nikolas

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Tue 04/04/2006 17:30:07
I might be able to cook something up... we'll see. I've had my eyes on this contest. ;)
Greg, if you need more time, say so. I think that the others won't mind... But if anyone does mind, just say so...

Gregjazz

Whew, made it!

City Lights:

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/citylights.mp3

This is basically just a jam showcasing my brand new electric bass. :D

Nikolas

Okay! A little late but here it is:

dkh: A great piece of work. Your determination and will to make it better, honestly touched me. Well done. For some reason it gives me very good sense of night, of city night. And the mixing is fine. I really don't have much to say.

Obi: another great tune in this contest. Improvisation is fine... Your voice is... a little weird. Again you do give me the sense of the night very good.

Heman: A great techno-Rave (whatever don't know the genres that well) tune that makes me want to dance. It felt though a little "empty", mixing wise and I wasn't too fond of the kick sound you used. But it's great and I know that every time I open music from you it will be kicking ass!

Goeffkhan: Your new electric bass is great. Jamming with the band or alone? City lights indeed, but for some readon, not in the night... Didn't get the night feeling from your entry.

And the winner is:

DKH

Well done!

Now go and start a new contest.

DoorKnobHandle

Ah, great contest Nikolas! :D And the other entries were all great as well, really amazing work...

Now I hope that I manage to come up with a new set of rules that are better than the last time I tried to run a contest and no entries came! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk