Comic Contest - March 31st to April 14th

Started by José Luiz, Fri 31/03/2006 12:17:05

Previous topic - Next topic

José Luiz

After thinking about a theme for the Comic Contest, I decided to choose this one:

Retelling a Myth
Myths are part of humanity history. Although their central story is generally preserved, there can exist many versions of them.
Let's take an example: the myth of Medea (my favorite). The most canonic (and famous) work about it is Euripides' play (431 b.C.). I'd also list three other very interesting plays on the same subject:

- Medea, by Seneca, 1st century a.C.
- Médée, by Pierre Corneille, 1635
- Médée, by Jean Anouilh, 1946

What I want for this contest is a comic (a tragedy, a comedy, a drama etc.) showing your version of a myth - whichever you want. A better known one would be nice, because everyone can identify it, but you can choose a local myth too - just give some information about it.
Ah, and you don't have to draw a comic with the whoooole myth! It can be just a resume or part of it.

Final date: April 14th.

Is everything clear? Any doubts, questions or suggestions, please tell me!
"L'Histoire est un roman qui a été." (Edmond and Jules de Goncourt)

Bluke4x4

I'm guessing we can't have two entries?

José Luiz

What do you mean, Bluke? Two entries for the same myth, for example?

José Luiz

Tomorrow is the last day of this competition and there's no entry until now.
What should I do? Give some more days?

Is the theme so uninteresting? :'(

MashPotato

Don't worry!Ã,  I can't make a guarantee as to quality, but I will enter something!Ã,  ;)

EDIT: First let me apologize for the rushed quality of this entry--I did have the intention to do a nice entry for this (I think it's a very good topic!), but kind of forgotÃ,  :-[.Ã,  So, I did this in about an hour and a half...

It's the ending of Death's Godson (it's not exactly really mythology but a folktale, but I figured it was close enough ^_^).Ã,  I don't think you need to know the particulars of the story, except that the man in the comic is Death's godson.Ã,  His wife is sick, and he disobeys Death by trying to cure her with special healing herbs which Death had given him.Ã,  Death then takes him to a cavern that is filled with candles, a place she has never shown any human before...

NOTE: I went by the version by James Riordan (An Illustrated Treasury of Fairy and Folk Tales), I just tweaked the dialogue so it would make more sense without background information ^_^

=The=Brat=

(Not that I had ever heard of that story till now) That was Awsome! :D

José Luiz

And the Golden Comic Strip Prize goes to...

... MashPotato!

I liked your comic very, very much! Your drawing skill is amazing and the story is very good! (I'll try to find the version you mentioned, because I really got interested in it.)

Congratulations! :D

(Sorry for the silver background of the trophy, but I couldn't add a transparency there... :-[)

MashPotato

Ah, winning by default... the best kind of winÃ,  ;)
Seriously though, thank you for the trophy, I really wasn't expecting that ^_^ (also, I hope you don't mind that I added the transparency in).Ã, 
Thank you also for the kind words... I hope you can find a copy of the story on-line somewhere, as it's a very nice one.Ã,  I looked for one to link when I posted the comic, but I could only find a version in which Death kills him out of spite and revenge (for disobedience)... call me sentimental, but I like this more poetic version a lot better ^_^

I'll start a new contest soon...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk