MANINMATION CONTEMPLATION- 4/2 to 4/9 Winner!

Started by Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens, Sun 02/04/2006 20:20:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Since Tomas has not started a new competion in two weeks I've dubbed myself WINNAR!!@#11 and will keep this thing going.  This week's topic:

SPACE MERCENARY FOR HIRE!!

Make this mercenary do what any good merc does, BLOW STUFF UP!

You may

a) Show him gunning down foes with his mega gun which you will add, or

b) Blowing stuff up with his mega gun which you will add.

Bonus for flying debris, body parts and shells!

Edit:  Woah, how did those 1's get in there?  Fixed now.

Afflict

Ok ill give this animation thing a try.

new updated one. Slowed down frames that was bad! And then well added my alien that won me the sprite jam hehe. They came in peace then but now they no longer feel that way!

Saberteeth

Em, there are no limitations except the two animations?  ???

Haddas

Here you go

There. Now with Mega Gun.

Afflict

Hey i posted an animation lol this is a bumpidy bump thread.

Not really is anyone entering?

Krysis

I might enter if there is an animated trophy at the end. ;D
Seriosly, we'll see if I'm gonna enter. ProgZmax has some high standarts and few are good enough to follow.  ;)

Saberteeth

Yes well, I'd enter but I don't have a good program(except photoshop but I don't get ImageReady :(). If anyone can explain some tuts for me?

Afflict

Well I am sure ProgZcan do a animiated oscar ;)

sergiocornaga

I find it amusing how all the entries so far have been him getting shot with a mega gun instead of shooting a mega gun.

Anym

I tried to keep with the theme of him getting shot.

Now I only wonder what it takes for a gun to be considered mega...

I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Afflict

yeha yeah ok lets blow up the marine I'm not done yet but I'm afraid i may not be home tommorow so...

here it is so long... dammit wish i could finish it.

Anyway if anyone is wondering this is my entry.

some changes before closing

nihilyst

That's great, Afflict. Reminds of of the Dune 2 intro.

cheers
nihilyst

Tomas

Firstly, sorry for not starting a new compo - I simply forgot. I hope you all forgive me. :)

Secondly, I saw this competition on Thursday and saved ProgZmax's sprite intending to create an animation when I had the time. Just now when I finished it I come back to this thread for the first time since Thursday and now I notice that I have created an almost identical animation as Anym - complete with finger motion, facial expression and everything. I'm sorry about this but I swear that I had not seen Anym's version before I started working on mine. Oh well, I guess the idea wasn't the most original. I hope you all will forgive me for this too. :)

I was gonna do some fancy stuff involving flying debris but I realized it was gonna take too long so I went for this a little less mega edition. I'm not really happy with anything about it as it is right now, but I'll post it anyway cause I need to sleep now and I won't have any more time to work on it before the deadline. So please consider this as a sketch or whatever. :)

(I intentionally did not post a zoomed in version because I accidentally managed to screw things up by not saving it in the highest quality, plus I don't want anyone to see it up close :) )

Sektor 13

Here, the entrance to the base, where the Darkling will attack, be ready !

zoom 1x

zoom 2x

Sektor 13

this one is a joke, i made for my friend in the wheelchair (not for competition)

Afflict

Quote from: nihilyst on Sat 08/04/2006 13:13:02
That's great, Afflict. Reminds of of the Dune 2 intro.

cheers
nihilyst

Wow DUNE I feel honored thanks!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Time to run through the entries and give them the treatment!

Afflict:

I'm not sure exactly which of your entries you are submitting for the competition, and while I appreciate all the effort you've obviously put forth, I'd much rather people focused on (1) entry and kept the thread  clean for other people.  This is a perfect example of why doing multiple entries are bad, because I simply don't know which one you intended for the vote.  I liked the second one in particular, so that is the one I will go by, but in future this may not happen! 

Haddas:

Very nice explosion, but that mega gun looks tacked on! lolz1!

Anym:

Your animation is very smooth, but if you'd like a bit of advice, when simulating action you reduce frame count to speed things up.  In reality when a cop draws his gun quickly, etc, you won't clearly see each position of his arm and so the best simulation is to reduce the number of frames between one pose and another.

Sektor13:

The first animation is nice, the second is hilarious.  Again, I think the overall effect would benefit from a few frames being cut during firing and the flight of the projectiles.

Tomas:

Solid animation, but it has the same slow motion movement I've described before.    It's not much of an issue in an animation competition, but in an actual game you'll want animations that match the action.

And finally, the showdown:

Afflict vs. Sektor13

I had to get nitpicky here because both were technically very good and adhered to the rules.

Afflict took the grandiose approach, with explosions, debris and even bombs! 
1.  Mega gun
2. Blowing up stuff
3. Body parts (bonus)
4. Debris (bonus)

Sektor13 focused on a polished animation of a single target being destroyed, and I've applied the 'debris' bonus to the creature particles.
1.  Mega gun
2.  Gunning down foes
3.  Debris (bonus)

Winner:  mega guns and explosions and debris and body parts can't go wrong.  Afflict wins!

Afflict

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk