Voice/FX Competition (May 13th to May 27th)

Started by nihilyst, Sat 13/05/2006 13:20:05

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

Hi, and welcome to our newest Voice/FX Competition!

psychof0x was the winner of the last round, but passed the burden of making a new one on to me, os here it is:

Since I like the idea of having sound effects added to the scene, I encourage you again to use some, so that your recording will be much more atmospherical. Music is, as always, appreciated. Again, if you don't know how to do or where to get music and sound effects, you may only do the voice acting. This time wel'll get a bit creative on the topic

The Taxi Driver

You maybe have called a taxi once before, be it for taking you home after a party, or because you missed the last train or something else. Some taxi drivers are talkative guys,
and you maybe like it, to talk to someone after a hard day, but when you're tired or in a bad temper, the chattering might just annoy you. In the following scene we'll hear the dialog between such a taxi driver and you. The lines of the taxi driver (TD) are given, your (Y) lines aren't. Fill out your lines, so that they fit with the others. (Things in brackets contain scene information to help you what sounds to use or how to emphasise.)

If you're not in the mood of being creative and don't want to fill out the lines, tell me, and then I'll fill out the lines for myself. But, of course, it would be more interesting if we could hear different dialogues.

------------------------------------------------
(Rain is drumming softly against the car's roof. The back right door opens, and you're
entering the cab, sitting down in the back seat. It's a late evening in November. You
shiver.)

TD: Cold outside?
Y:
TD: Sorry, if it's too hot in here. I just like it that way. Gives me a Caribbean feeling,
you know? But enough of me. To where may I drive you?
Y:
TD: Wow. What do you want THERE?
Y:
TD: No, it's no problem, really. It's just a bit ... unusual.

(The taxi driver starts the engine and begins to drive.)

TD: What do you want there? Visiting family?
Y:
TD: Oh, I know that. Can be annoying.
Y:

(The taxi drivers laughs. The indicator starts blinking, and after the cab turned to it's
right, the indicator goes silent again.)

Y:
TD: Hm, I haven't thought about that, but it sounds reasonable, though not very convenient.

(He pauses.)

TD: You know, my I don't see my family very often. I'm usually working in nights -- gives a
sizeable income, you know -- but my wife ... she's working in a travel bureau, and my
daughter is still in school. So we ...
Y:

(The taxi driver brakes hard, the tires squeal and the cab rolls down a slope, eventually
crashes against a tree.)

TD (stuttering): Man, that was ... that was ... are you alright?
Y:
TD: Goodness gracious! We almost ran over an old man.
Y:
TD: Yeah, you're right. Sorry!
Y:
TD: I'll try to call for help. We'll need more than a wrecker here.
Y:

(The taxi driver pushes a button on the radio unit, but only noise comes out of it.)

Y:
TD: Guess so. You don't happen to have a mobile with you, don't you?
Y:
TD: Life is _________! [enter a fitting last word]
------------------------------------------------

ManicMatt

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/taxi_driver.zip

Now I'm unemployed I have time to do this.

(Hope you can tell the difference between the two voices easily)

nihilyst

You've got one day left to make an entry. If you need more time, tell me and I'll extend it.

cheers
nihilyst

ManicMatt

Otherwise my crappy entry will win by default MWAHAHAHA!!

Steel Drummer

Can you extend it till tomorrow or the day after? I'm right about to record my entry...
I'm composing the music for this game:

nihilyst

I can. Since I'm not in town until the next weekend, I ask psychof0x (who is the winner of the last compo and therefore this compo's "real" host) to choose a winner during the next days.

cheers
nihilyst

Steel Drummer

Here's my entry:

http://s2.gimehost.com/v/6671055/coldoutside.zip
I could barely tell the difference between the characters in your entry, ManicMatt, except that they had lines for a particular character.  ;D
I'm composing the music for this game:

Psych0F0x

Hi, first of all I'd like to thank Nihilyst for taking over this compo for me, you did a great job, cool idea to let people make their own lines.

Manicmatt: I was waiting for a guy from the carribeans, instead it was some other foreign dude, not that it really mattered. Pretty good work on the lines, decent voices.

yodaman: Yours didn't really have a bigger difference between characters than ManicMatt's entry, still this was also a cool entry.

Both didn't have many effects, but that's ok , the ones you guys made were still decent. Not much else to comment on so it was a bit difficult to choose. Since this compo contains a new element we didn't have yet(make up your own lines) I chose to take this into consideration too.

Ok enough blabbing, the winner is ManicMatt , I quite liked your lines, it really felt like a good weird conversation with the cab driver.

Come on and give us a cool new compo!  ;D
Project currently in development: "The Outhouse"
Namus (my band) http://www.namusrock.com/

ManicMatt

Woohoo I actually won something on AGS forums!

Yodaman: I liked it when the guy said "that's my uncle!" haha

I make the next compo? Cool I never gave that any thought as I didn't think I'd win!

Does the compo have to include sound effects as I'm thinking it might be causing less people to enter? (It's a theory anyway)

And when shall I start the new compo? Now?

I'll go write up a script now anyway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk