Trilby's Notes

Started by , Mon 26/06/2006 00:40:28

Previous topic - Next topic

superspanna

Aaarrgghhh OK I found a problem. Got quite far into the game, I think:

Spoiler
had the slave ship flashback, got attacked by siobhan/monster, drank magic water in cellar, went upstairs and into the display room - found myself in some kind of flashback sequence saying "it hurts", but it wasn't on the ship it was a grey industrial-type background, then it cut back to the professor in the display room
[close]

And then it crashed on me Ã, >:(

Which you would think wouldn't have mattered too much as I had been saving my game regularly. HOWEVER, as I had played the majority of the game in one sitting (which ended in the crash), the only saved game in the directory when I loaded the game again was one from near the beginning; obviously you have to quit the game properly if you want your saved games to actually be saved.

VERY annoying! Guess I'm going to have to start all over again.

BlackDragon1200

Spoiler
Does anyone else expect the next game to be set after 7DaS considering that at the end of 7DaS we see the destruction of John DeFoe's Mind Body & Soul which is meant to fulfill the prophecy?
[close]
Fear is the mind killer...

Kweepa

Quote from: superspanna on Mon 26/06/2006 23:18:08
And then it crashed on me  >:(

Did you make a note of the error message?
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

The Ivy

Just finished the game.

It looks I'll be sleeping in my little fort with all the lights on tonight.

DoorKnobHandle

Hehe, yeah. I'm 18 and I was scared to go use the bathroom in the dark. You know, looking back at it...

Spoiler
...the most scariest thing was when randomly trilby would become that 5das-person with mask, apron and knife. I didn't really look at first, and then came the shock...
[close]

skyfire2

I beat it! It took me a while but it was worth it! From the looks of it, Yahtzee might release a sequel to 7 Days. As for the parser, IMO, it made the game a lot funner.

Lucky

Spoiler
First of all, atmosphere was as great as I've come to expect from Yahtzee's games. Had I played in the middle of a night (and had it been a darker time of the year), I would've probably left lights on when going to bed.
I loved the way Yahtzee (possibly) played with my mind with those little sequences that could've been bugs, intended spookiness or just me losing my mind. Like when I entered the real world bar for the first time and every click resulted with "it hurts".

Then the complaints. I don't think the parser really added anything to the game. I remember only two puzzles that couldn't have been done with mouse control just as well. (Getting the chisel from the sailor and the final puzzle.) Besides, only time I got really stuck was because I wasn't using the correct phrase.
Other problem was the porcelain dummy puzzle, which was mostly just running around, trying to guess where the body parts had materialized. (Though Abed's disappearance was a pretty clever trick.) Those kind of scavenger's hunts may fit in a survival horror game, but not in a traditional adventure game.
Last but not least is the amount of puzzles. There just weren't enough of them and they were a bit too obvious since the needed objects just kind of appeared there whenever you needed them.

But all in all, even though TN isn't Yahtzee's best game, it's still a great amateur adventure.
[close]

superspanna

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Mon 26/06/2006 23:47:32
Quote from: superspanna on Mon 26/06/2006 23:18:08
And then it crashed on meÃ,  >:(

Did you make a note of the error message?

Nah,  didn't see any error message I'm afraid, the computer just froze. I could alt and tab out of the game to close it down using windows, but the game itself was completely frozen.

Afflict

Looks kewl...

Alas no time to play :(

Well maybe i will have some time sometime...

Why doesnt Yahtzee remain on site?

Mordalles

finished it, and i must say the 1st game of yathzee that i really enjoyed (with the fantabulous game). the story was really well told. and i also thought some of the animations and character positions (the way they stand, or sit, etc) was done really well. and a few of the backgrounds, especially the flashbacks and the ending background, were better than usual. also thought the choice of colours in the game were really good.

ps, why don't yathzee return to ags? i wasn't here when all the bad stuff happened, but i'm sure no one would mind him posting here? all his games are still here, and every year he still win awards. so he might as well be part of the community he wins awards from?

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Max

Wow, I really enjoyed this game, but
Spoiler
When I first read the pills bottle, it said something like 'may cause drowsiness/hallucinations' which convinced me that the final twist of the game would be that the alternative realm was the actually the real one and the real one was the alternative one!
[close]

aussie

I'm a huge fan of Yatzhee's work, so I agree with lots of the comments that people have made.

The amosphere is great and so is the music. Besides, I think the text parser adds to the atmosphere, and I like what I've seen of the storyline.

However, I just can't get into this game.

Maybe it's that sense of disorientation the game conveys at times. Take for instance when you walk out of a 'normal' room and, without warning, you find yourself in 'nightmare' mode. Sometimes I just can't tell whether I'm confronted with a bug, or whether things are actually the way they should be. 

On a different note, I feel the graphic quality of the sprites has increased at the expense of the backgrounds. Having seen previous Yathzee work, I get the impression that this time less attention has gone into making the game attractive to the eye, which tends to put me off a bit. But anyway, that's just me. Sometimes I find it hard to rise above that sort of thing.

In any case, I'm yet to finish the game, so maybe some of these calls are a bit unfair. I suppose I'll still give it another go.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Ali

This was a very good game. Nice story, very effective graphics and great sound. For my taste there was a little too much horror where there could have been mystery, but I am pretty wimpy.

I look forward to the next one!

Cyberion

well i liked the game, but i have to admit that it's no that good as 5DAS or 7DAS. Characters are not that impressive (except Trilby and M. DeFoe of course) and they lack personality. In previous games Chars' personality added a lot to the atmosphere of the game. The graphics is not that good as well. The backgrounds look less detailed and simplier. I guess Yahtzee became bored and a bit lazy here.

Although story telling through History episodes (white/black scenes) is very nice and adds alot to the game's plot. That's undoubtly the strongest part of the game. Music is good as well.

As for the text parser.. hmmm it's rather contradictory question. It's hard to say if it's better or not for the story telling. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. I guess this question should be solved on a personal basis. For example, I would prefer the interface similar to 7DAS. But that's only me.

Despite my criticism, I will recommend this game to all who loved 5DAS and 7DAS, as it reveals all the background stories from 5DAS in detailes and gives us an opportunity to see how Trilby managed to get rid of Idol. Good game, which has plenty of good things, but they are often spoilt by bad execution. Nonetheless, go play that game!

P.S. hmmm looks like i wrote a short review :D hehehe
P.S.S. sorry for any grammar and spelling mistakes, i'm not a native english speaker.

Traveler

Finished it, great game. The story is very well done and everything goes together well (music, graphics, etc.) However, the parser really needs a lot more work, in it's current state it's very weak and it gets in the way of playing. I don't mind playing parser-based games, but the parser must be very flexible to understand different sentences. More parser shortcuts for common phrases would be nice, too. I typed "look around" very frequently, it became annoying after a while.

Looking forward for more Yahtzee games. :)

Vel

The game was pretty neat, great job on each aspect of the game. However, if you're reading this, yahtzee, I personally consider that this trilby/idol/demon thingy is worn out by now, I'd much more like it if you did something entirely new. And in the adventure genre to. And since you like to push the technical boundaries of AGS further and further, you could do something in the vein of The Last Express!^_^

Jimtbrit

Just finished the game and loved it,
I found the difficulty just right and is a great addition to the first two games.
I also think that the use of the text parser really added to the feel that the game was trying to create.Ã,  With 7days being set in the future, and the multiple use of playable flashbacks to the past, having to type commands seemed to be the right choice in my opinion.
Also with the flashbacks being playable rather than movie sequences, there is no problem with trying to pause them.Ã,  I think we have all experienced playing a game and been called away during a video sequence which cannot be paused, only to find that we have to either reload and replay or miss out on some of the storyline.
The suspense was enough to make me jump when my doorbell rang.... ;)
Yahtzee if you are reading this congrats on another sucessful game.

DoorKnobHandle

Allright, just finished it. What a great story, it's unbelievable.

Spoiler

Especially the ending, where Tribly thinks: "I can't destroy the idol, but what shall I do with it? Hide it? Where? Somewhere, where no human can ever find it agian."

That combined with "7 Days A Sceptic" - he shoots it into space in a box. That's genious.
[close]

edmundito

As always, Yahtzee's games (at least since 5days) are a great subject of much debate. He likes to try new things and sometimes they work out, but sometimes they don't. Well, the only way to learn is through practice and experimentation, I suppose.

I must say that this game definitely pushed the boundaries of horror, at least AGS-wise. I'd be interesting to play it a second time to see if it's equally creepy.

Trilby is more of a action hero boy in this game than anything. He's just kind of the perspective from where the player learns about the other characters and story, but other than his character being affected by the ghoul or whatever, he doesn't change much. Like Cyberion said, the characters kind of lack depth. The story is impressive, but the characters not as much.

And one more thing: Doesn't it seem that every game since 5 days is more and more about guessing what to do with the interface than actually posing intelligent problems? This last one is all about guess-what-you-need-to-type-to-win! More important is to focus on gameplay than "creative" intefaces.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

sergiocornaga

Quote from: dkh on Tue 27/06/2006 01:39:41
You know, looking back at it...

Spoiler
...the most scariest thing was when randomly trilby would become that 5das-person with mask, apron and knife. I didn't really look at first, and then came the shock...
[close]

Huh? I totally missed that part. Can you elaborate?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk