MODULE: Panorama v1.6

Started by Kweepa, Sat 29/07/2006 19:14:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

LimpingFish is already using 640x480.
It looks a bit shredded around the edges when you're not looking in one of the cardinal directions because it's manipulating 2 pixel wide blocks, and that would only get worse with 800x600 (non-constant block widths).
But it seems to work.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

LimpingFish

I've found that the image shredding becomes a little less noticable when the game is run in a window. The framerate also seems to improve slightly.

The drop in speed between 320x240 and 640x480 suggests an 800x600 version would result in serious screen slowdown.

I'm sure this is down to overall AGS performance, rather than Steves module, tho. :P
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

td

This plugin support 800x600 res???

LimpingFish

Technically, yes (I think :P).

I haven't tried it myself, but seeing as the framerate in 640x480 is about 1/3 to 1/2 slower than 320x240, I'd say 800x600 would suffer some serious slowdown.

I think Steve mentioned a plug-in version would have better results, but you'll have to ask him about that. :P

Kweepa

td, try it out and let us know! :=
I refuse to comment on a plug-in version, lest I feel obligated to work on it.

Edit:

Bump for a new version that supports 800x600. See first post, or just get it here:
http://www.steporg.com/step/ags/tech/Panorama13.zip

LimpingFish

Yay! \o/

More great work, Steve. :)

Candle

Really nice work Steve.
Upload to my AGS folder.

Kweepa

PS: I notice that the SCream engine
http://250.215.232.72.reverse.layeredtech.com/~adeu/forum//index.php?topic=1228.0
is a node-based adventure game system, but with higher res graphics and full 3d lookaround. You might want to check it out if you're thinking of doing this style of game.

alimpo83

I got it to work with no problems in 320x240(1280x240) but not in 800x600(3200x600). It gives me the following error:

In Panorama(line 184)
From Room 1 script (line 6)

Error: DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground: invalid co-ordinates specified

For Panorama you can check the module for line 184 and my Room 1 has following script:

// room script file

#sectionstart room_a  // DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS LINE
function room_a() {
  // script for Room: Player enters room (before fadein)
Panorama.CreateFromBackground();
Panorama.Enable(); 
}
#sectionend room_a  // DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS LINE

#sectionstart room_b  // DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS LINE
function room_b() {
  // script for Room: Repeatedly execute
Panorama.StandardLookAround(mouse.x); 
}
#sectionend room_b  // DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS LINE

#sectionstart room_c  // DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS LINE
function room_c() {
  // script for Room: Player leaves room
Panorama.Destroy(); 
}
#sectionend room_c  // DO NOT EDIT OR REMOVE THIS LINE

Please help! I'd like my game to be 800x600! :D
LIMPO ARTS

LimpingFish

Are you using Steve's demo game as a script base? Because the demo is based on version 1.2 of the module which doesn't support 800x600.

EDIT: Actually, I've been able to replicate this error by importing 1.3 into a game written around 1.2. I have no technical explanation, though. We'll have to wait for Steve. :=

alimpo83

No, I created a new game to test the script and followed the readme file. In 320x240 it worked like a charm but in 800x600 it didn't run at all.
LIMPO ARTS

td

First Panorama room work fine, but when player try to change room (go to different room) next panorama-room is displaced up and look incorrectly. Who know why???

LimpingFish

You have to add:

Panorama.CreateFromBackground();
Panorama.Enable();

...under Player enters room (before fadein), everytime you want to enter a new panoramic room. And:

Panorama.Destroy();

...under Player leaves room.

You player character coordinates should be set to x160, y0 when entering a new panoramic room also.

Such as...cEgo.ChangeRoom(2, 160, 0)

EDIT: Oh, and put...

Panorama.StandardLookAround(mouse.x);

...under Repeatedly Execute.

td

Ok Fish, i try it later. By the way ur game "Heartland" is super-quality! Is it free, or commercial? And one question else: what different between cubic panorama (AGS i guess), and cylindric panorama (Adventure maker)???

LimpingFish

Thanks. It's free of course. You've played it. If you mean will any sequel be commercial, well...we'll have to wait and see. :D

Cubic panorama is mapping a background to a cube, ie. six seperate images for Up, Down, Left, Right, Front, and Back views.

A cyclindrical panorama is achieved by rendering a special single 360 view of a background and mapping to a circular "wall" around the player.

I think. :=

Kweepa

Yup, that's about it.
Thanks, LimpingFish, for helping td out.
alimpo83, if you have a repeatable case of your problem, perhaps you could upload it somewhere for me to have a look at?

td

But why u Steve has created cubic panorama and not cilynder? Whats advantage of ur panorama Steve? :)

Kweepa

This way you don't need to use an art package that can export cylindrical panoramas.
The maths would have been easier for cylindrical admittedly, and it might even look better.
Hmm, I may add it as an option at some point.

td

It will great if u add cilynder panorama feature in next module Steve, coz many 3D packages can render 360 degree panorama pictures "for one step"!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk