Re: Tune Contest (8.23 - 9.03) - WINNER ANNOUNCED!

Started by DoorKnobHandle, Wed 23/08/2006 20:40:00

Previous topic - Next topic

DoorKnobHandle

TUNE   CONTEST

...from August 23rd until September 3rd...

I didn't win the last tune contest, but because the original winner (BunnyMilk) didn't show up in several days, the host of the last contest gave me the privilege set up next round's theme.

The Theme

Write me a song that somehow shows the life of one person. You can really cut it down to a few major events - for example: birth, first boy- or girlfriend, breaking up, finding new hope, wedding, getting children, aging and death. Actually this is still a lot, feel free to cut it down even further and add your own major events in life if you want to! Musically, it would be great if I would hear a wedding organ melody for the wedding or something heavy-sounding for negative-times (such as breaking up or death maybe). Feel free to be creative, but make sure to let me know about your thoughts on your stuff (also, it's appreciated if you'd add the events you tried to describe and the times in your song), this helps me to understand and rate your work better. You can release this information after the entry-time is closed if you don't want other entrants to see and steal your ideas, just make sure to let me know early enough please. Also, you are invited to give this a meaning of some sorts - for example give me a simple birth-melody played with toy-sounds and high bells and then - after a nice death passage, play some of the first notes from your song again to symbolize an eternal circle of life (reincarnation or life after death). Be creative.

Good luck.

Erenan

This is a great topic! Right up my alley! I'm definitely going to start composing something tonight. I'll post again with the entry and description once I finish, probably next week.
The Bunker

Steel Drummer

Sounds like a good topic. I'll prepare my entry..
EDIT: Okay, I finished it, in about two hours. Here it is:

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/competition.mid

INFO:

Forgot to say: mine is the life of a wizard.
I'm composing the music for this game:

DoorKnobHandle

Very cool! I hope we'll get some more entries, there are still six days left!

BunnyMilk

Sorry for just not showing up for the last contest, I was on holiday, I did say so on IRC but obviously that doesn't carry over so that's my bad. Also I may enter this one tomorrow, it's 2am right now so I don't think I'll be doing it right now.
Love x

grinder

Here is the life of a young hero:

http://slil.ru/23060458

childhood, growing up, tragic loss of parents, training and andventuring, final confrontation with the ubervillain and death.

PS: looks like there is a glitch in a file that prevents the death piece to play; here it is, separate from the rest of the midi:
http://slil.ru/23061286

DoorKnobHandle

Ah, no problem, grinder! Thanks for both entries so far, I still hope there are more comming though!

Since I just realized that I won't be here for three days around the end of the original deadline, I just delayed the deadline to September 3rd. Yes, still this year...

Erenan

Any chance that someone could mirror grinder's entry somewhere? I'm having trouble downloading it, and I want to hear it.

dkh, I'm feverishly working on my entry. At the rate I'm going, it should be done before the deadline! :)

EDIT: Thanks Damien!

EDIT PART TWO: Thanks grinder!
The Bunker

Damien

Grinder's entry hosted on 2dadventure.com:
-link removed, see next post-

I will try to make something untill the deadline, my inspiration is absent at the moment.

BunnyMilk

Here is the life of the traveller... I'm not going to say X TIME = X PART OF LIFE I'll leave it up to your imagination because I like to do that. It's quite long but I really like it so hopefully you will too imo!

http://www.gamingw.net/pubaccess/30941/The%20Traveller%20Theme.mp3
Love x

BunnyMilk

Also I designed it to loop so it doesn't quite end sorry.
Love x

Erenan

Finished! I'm sorry this is so long/large, but I got a little carried away. This is along the lines of what I really wanted to do with ProgZmax's rules in the last contest, but I wasn't able to realize it like this. Here it is...

An Imperfect Life

I.     Automelodicon in Genesis (0:00)

To the sounds of a music box, a child is born. He is a music box himself, merely a cog, a small mechanism of the cosmos. Fate begins to take its course, kismet as a ticker tape. The child has unlimited potential. Who knows what fate and the future have in store for him?

II.    Motoric Life (1:10)

The child begins to grow. He soon learns that life moves forward constantly like an always working machine, and he must learn to operate within this world, moving and working with the flow of the societal and cosmic clockwork.

III.   Standing on the Bow (1:40)

The child has grown into a young man, and now he has discovered an inborn desire for the female part of his species. Their allure draws him to them, and he aggressively attempts to win their affection. Once, and he is rejected. A second time, and rejected again. Not discouraged, he tries again, this time going with the flow of the universal machine, his ticker tape fate, and this time the young lady embraces him happily.

IV.    Love-Truth (3:00)

The young man has love! And he loves it! He has never been happier, and life in the machine has never been better.

V.     Love-Psychosis (3:23)

But now the young man notices another young lady, another woman whose beauty grips him and stirs up emotions from deep within him that he has not felt before. A young lady, more gorgeous than any he'd ever met before, but one whom he knows nothing about. But he cannot pursue her, for he has already committed himself to another...

VI.    Duomachina Matrimonium (3:59)

The young man waits at the altar on his wedding day. Of course, he is nervous, but he is excited to be married. But something just beneath the surface is bothering him. Is it just cold feet, or... But then she appears and walks down the aisle toward him, and any thoughts of trouble leave him. The two cogs are wed and their mechanisms become one.

VII.   Love-Dissonance (5:07)

Thoughts of that other beautiful young woman who had captivated him long ago come to the newly married man. He can't get these unfaithful thoughts to leave him. His bride senses that something is wrong and begins to pry at him. At first he resists her, almost not hearing her at all, but then he begins to allow his stubbornness to subside, and she starts to make sense.

VIII.  Maleficus in Memorium (5:48)

The man abandons his long-held infatuation and enters into a state of peace. He has his wife, and he has his life. Nothing can mar this serenity.

IX.   Love-Death (7:07)

Suddenly, the girl from before who had gripped his emotions appears and brutally murders the man's wife in a horrific scene before his very eyes. Terror and fury rise up...

X.    Love-Vengeance (7:20)

The man swears that he'll kill this murderess. He has given up his infatuation, and now he will avenge his newly departed bride.

XI.   Malefic Aubade (7:38)

The girl begins to sing to him. Her words taunt him, and at first he doesn't believe her, but soon and inevitably he realizes the truth of what she is singing. "I killed her for you... It was only for you... Just for you... For I am no more than that part of you... Your bitterness at begin trapped within fate... Trapped with a woman whose love was yours only because the universe forced her upon you... And I am freedom... I am your escape... I am yourself..."

XII.  Of Truth and Torment (8:19)

And the apparition is gone. The man has fully realized the truth of what had happened. He himself was the murderer. He had taken his own bride's life with his own hands, realized within his mind as a return of his long-held infatuation, that love-psychosis that had never truly left him. The truth torments him and drives him to madness.

XIII. The Liar Misericord (8:49)

He takes up the knife with which he murdered his wife and plunges it into his own heart, quickly dying in a pool of his blood.

P.S. Thanks Helm. ;)
The Bunker

DoorKnobHandle

Very nice work! Is anybody else planning on entering this contest? I will give everybody the chance to extend the deadline a tiny little bit more, if somebody is close-to-finished, otherwise the contest will be closed in < 12 hours.

DoorKnobHandle

Allright, the contest is closed now.

I was very happy with all your work, however I failed to get your file, BunnyMilk. But since you won the last round, you aren't technically allowed to enter seriously anyways, I believe.

Again, the entries were all exceptionally well, I enjoyed them all and the decision was hard in the end. However, Erenan's entry, "An Imperfect Life" fascinated me the most. Damien, you almost won with your song, however I didn't quite hear the different phases of life out of it (except the cycle - the beginning and the ending) and you didn't let us know by posting them here as I suggested.

Congratulations Erenan, not for winning this contest but for writing a great piece of music. Congratulations to everybody else as well, I am sure that you could've won any other tune contest with less heavy competition easily with each and everyone's talent!

Erenan

I won!

*dance* *dance* *dance*

dkh, if you still want to hear BunnyMilk's, I think you have to click on the link and then just refresh the page. That's what I had to do to hear it. It's good, so I recommend that you check it out.

I'll create the new contest tonight. :)

The Bunker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk