Wheel of For-TUNE Contest :: Sep. 20 - Sep. 27

Started by Erenan, Wed 20/09/2006 06:47:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Erenan

Okay folks... It's time again for another tune contest!!! This time the theme is...

The Wheel of Fortune

From http://www.wyrdology.com/scrying/tarot/wheel.html:

The Wheel of Fortune represents the cyclical nature of all reality. This is the essence of the wisdom hinted at by other cards such as the Fool and Death.

Life is change. Stability is stagnation. All things pass.

Yet for all that things change, the essentials remain the same. The wheel turns - day becomes night becomes day, rain becomes sun becomes rain, joy becomes pain becomes joy.

If well aspected in a Tarot reading, this card can indicate good fortune through change, the wheel turning for now to a better position.

If badly aspected this card can indicate what appears to be misfortune. It can also represent resistance to the inevitability of change.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I want you to depict that description musically. Give me the impression of a wheel turning, the world cycling, things changing, moving in and out of fortune and misfortune, etc. If you feel so inclined, you may describe specific situations in which these things are perceived, but this is not necessary. The key words here are cycle, change, and fortune/misfortune. Be creative with these! And most importantly, have fun! Go!
The Bunker

Sylvr

Here ya go! It's my first tune contest entry.Ã,  :D

http://www.sharebigfile.com/file/8870/Wheel-of-Fortune.mid.html

Hope that works. Dowload is at bottom of screen.
| Ben304: "Peeing is a beautiful thing, Sylvr" |

elby

Hey, also a first entry. www.myspace.com/loribethallisonmusic Beach Daze is the one I'm entering.

The site says a bit about it as well.

Erenan

The Bunker

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Clockwork.  It increases in bpm gradually and then slows back down before repeating forever!

http://members.cox.net/progzmax/clockwork.ogg

eternalhope

Click here to watch My-first-midi-

I tried to describe the wheel of fortune in the life of a person.

The tune begins with a melody performed by piano and synthetic strings which symbolizes the begin of the life the time you did not pick up decisions alone and you were guided by your parents.

Then the piano continues alone which stands for the life after childhood.

And at the end I used the xylophone to create a sound similiar to the sound of bones. This symbolizes the death.

It is short, because the life of a person is short if you compare it to the many years of the earth.

The melody itself rises and falls as an image of the fortune and misfortune in the life. Furthermore it repeats itself and changes.

I hope I made a worthy entryÃ,  ;D This is my first midi in all the years I composed I only usedÃ,  my keyboard and guitar.
Ã, 

Erenan

Five entries! This is turning out well! There's still another day and a half, so if you want to enter, there's still time. I like to wait until the evening of the ending day to choose a winner, and I live in California, so most of you are living in the future from my perspective. :)
The Bunker

Erenan

CONTEST OVER!!!!

I had a really, really, really hard time choosing a winner on this one. Here are my notes:

eternalhope - "My First Midi"

Nice and simple one, this piece. I like what's going on here, although I think I'd like to hear a little more contrast in feeling in both directions (fortune/misfortune), as I'm mostly hearing just slight misfortune in this. Even the xylophone death at the end (good idea, by the way) sounds kind of lighthearted in its melodic character, so the person's death seems comical to me in contrast with his life. Still, this isn't a bad piece, and I enjoyed it. Nice work.

ProgZmax - "Clockwork"

I like the idea. Execution is rather good too. Anyway, I can hear some change, and I'm definitely getting the cycle element clearly. Fortune/Misfortune feels kind of like Neutral/Misfortune to me, but I suppose this is fine. I pictured sort of a classic Castlevania tension scene where you have to race against the slowly creeping water or background frame, like a scene where you have to race downward to escape a giant gear that's lowering toward you. Or something like that anyway. I'm not a huge fan of all the sounds you used, but I think that's more of a personal taste issue than one of actual composition. In any case, good job! I like this a lot.

Mark IJ. - "Cycle"

So this is really mystical/dreamy sounding, which is kind of nice. Most of the misfortune seems to be right at the beginning, and in that it seems like something bad has happened, and the person to whom it has happened is reflecting on it. Then it perks up and the person seems to have found hope in the future. Life will still go on, and he's determined to make the most of it. The unfortunate event has happened, yes, but it doesn't seem quite so hopeless anymore. Good work.

SilverTrumpet - "Wheel of Fortune"

One thing I can say for this piece over all the others is that I can very clearly picture a wheel turning! The great axle of life lumbering along driving someone's life forward through good and bad. At first, I found the melodic effects in this to be unrewarding, but I let them sink in a little, and they work well. I like it!

elby - "Beach Daze"

I really like the opening theme of this piece. Sounds very peaceful and happy, very suggestive of fortune. I hear a bit of contrast between good times and bad times, although the bad times aren't as bad as they could have been. The piece is mostly planted in fortune, with occasional dips into just slight misfortune, in my opinion. Overall, this is a good entry. I enjoyed listening to it.

ARGH! So many great entries! Okay, ProgZmax wins with his "Clockwork" piece. maaark comes in a VERY close second. Nice job everyone. Good pieces all around, all deserving of a medal or a trophy or something, but I have to choose only one winner. Please make it easier for me to choose next time I win. :P Just kidding... Maybe.
The Bunker

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Zoiks, I won?  I figured my clockwork tune was way off base.  Guess I'll have to think of something amusing for the next comp.  Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk