Creating backgrounds

Started by boojiboy, Wed 01/11/2006 07:44:22

Previous topic - Next topic

boojiboy

If you haven't read my walk cycle post, do so now. This thread is very much in the same vein.
Once again, I'm not asking for tutorials specifically. I'm asking how some of the more experienced AG makers create their backgrounds.
There are so many specific little things that I want to know about creating backgrounds and I can't bring myself to try and make one until I know what the best method is.

Do you draw a sketch first on paper?
Do you use the line tool? (If so and in Photoshop how do you turn off anti alias?)

If any of you could post up some pictures of their BGs and explain how the made them we would all (especially in the C&C room) appreciate it.

LGM

There are tutorials for this stuff everywhere... Go there.
You. Me. Denny's.

boojiboy

Yeah ok thanks.  :-\
I'm aware of all the tutorials dude. If you read what I wrote you'd see that I don't want tutorials. I just want to know how some of the other members here go about making their backgrounds. I thought some people (including myself) would be interested in seeing what people have to say.

ildu

Hi-res:

1. Sketch a few thumbnails with PS and a tablet to help decide what composition I want (usually I just skip this though, unless the bg is really important to me.

2. Sketch a larger image (about 640x480, so I don't need to zoom in and out too much) and refine that sketch until I've got detailed linework.

3. If I want the linework to show in the bg, I refine it to be applicable to the final image (cleaning up, sharpening, coloring, etc.).

4. Do a color study sketch (usually I skip this).

5. Create one-color flat shapes based on the linework to simulate the color combination and composition (if the bg is gonna be a crisp vector image, I use paths) (well, actually if it's vector, I just switch to Illustrator, but path fills are good in any case).

6. Add basic shading (box shading) to the fills that don't require much variance in shading.

7. When everything looks good and dandy, I start painting. Textures come first. After texturing, I add separate layers for shadows, and then highlights. Finally I add separate layers for special lighting.

8. Tweak the painted image: Lighting, composition, colors. I perhaps add some glow or other lighting effects somewhere and apply any special colorschemes and such, if needed.

* if vector image, skip 3, 4, and 7.
* if free painted, skip 3, 5 and 6.
* if not outlined, skip 3.

Low-res:

1. Sketch composition if necessary on a final image sized canvas using the pencil tool in PS (usually with a tablet or even a mouse).

2. Refine the linework until it's complete (I use black outlines and color them later, if needed) (don't forget vanishing points).

3. Color the areas defined by the linework.

4. Add basic shading.

5. Change linework colors if necessary.

6. Add texturing.

7. Add shadows, highlights and special lights on separate layers.

8. Tweak.

* if no outlines, skip 2.
* if no texturing, skip 6.

Buckethead

is that the magic behind your super b art?

LGM

Sorry, that was a joke used on me a long time ago. I felt it apt to repeat. I really don't know how to draw backgrounds, but ildu does. Take what he says into account. nobody can teach you how to draw good backgrounds, but they can teach you the steps it takes to do so. Ildu has done that, and he even taught me something new.
You. Me. Denny's.

ildu

We could actually do a quick bg together if enough people want so, doing it step by step. Or maybe we could start a workshop thread like someone suggested in the bg blitz.

[lgm]: Much obliged :D.

MashPotato

A workshop thread sounds nice... do you mean workshop as in everyone works on their own background, following the lead of a communal step-by-step guide?  If so, I would definitely try to participate if you made one ^_^

Boojiboy, one way to draw lines without the anti-alias is to use the pen tool to draw a path, then when rendering the stroke make sure you have the pencil selected instead of the brush.

ildu

Well, we could have it so that someone posts his/her bg, and everyone works on it together until it's satisfactory, at which time we move on to the next one. But I guess this would be a bit too close to all critics lounge threads :D.

The more exciting and efficient way to do it would be to have one person teach the rest. We could have the host and some 5 workshop students do their own bgs step by step, and all 6 participants posts their progress in the thread. The host's assignment would be to basically teach a specific style to the students in the workshop. And there'd be a different host every time, which would mean learning a new style with each host. Possible drawbacks would be a lack of commitment from the host or the students, and the varying speeds of the participants.

EDIT:

Another fun, albeit difficult idea would be to have a workshop for creating bgs in a specific style of a game, basically imitating one. And every workshop would use a different game to base the bg style on. Though, this implementation would require that there are enough people in the community who can imitate bg styles in particular games.

MashPotato

Quote from: ildu on Wed 01/11/2006 18:54:26
The more exciting and efficient way to do it would be to have one person teach the rest. We could have the host and some 5 workshop students do their own bgs step by step, and all 6 participants posts their progress in the thread. The host's assignment would be to basically teach a specific style to the students in the workshop.
This was what I meant, but I worded it extremely badly ^_^.  Anyways, I would be up for being a student ^_^

RyRayer

Me too. This is a great idea. It would improve my skills greatly.

ildu

Quote from: MashPotato on Wed 01/11/2006 19:23:50Anyways, I would be up for being a student ^_^

Yeah right. You'll be one of the senior teachers :).

LGM

I'd be down for this, too.
You. Me. Denny's.

Blackthorne

One of the members of my team made a nice tutorial about trees and such for 320x200 "Sierra" like backgrounds.  I'm sure it could help you.

http://www.infamous-adventures.com/Tutorials/Tree.html

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

vict0r

I too would LOVE to join as a "student" in this workshop thing :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Please edit this post when you have a background for critique.

boojiboy

Fantastic idea Ildu...
I'm putting my name down for one of the first students. We'd be honoured if you were the first "lecturer".

Mash Potato - Sorry, how do I render the stroke after I've made the path?

MashPotato

Ildu: you're very kind, but I have a lot to learn ^_^

Boojiboy: after you've finished making your path, select the pencil tool (not the brush, unless you want soft edges), resize it to the thickness you want your line to be, then push the stroke button on the Paths window, as illustrated here:

Hope this helps ^_^

boojiboy

thanks mashpotato, big help  :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Moved to Adventure Talk since boojboy won't have a background for awhile and just wants to discuss tips.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk