Super Jazz Man (playable demo now available)

Started by Gregjazz, Fri 22/12/2006 06:51:40

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Wed 03/01/2007 06:46:11
To the best of my knowledge Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2, Loom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were not talkies, and even today these are more expensive than Super Jazz Man.

Except they were made many years ago, and if they were made today they would have had speech.  ::)

big brother

Yes, and you would pay $49.95+ for each one. :)

QuoteI meant the title music. When the screen says 'Super Jazz Man' and then it fades out to the restaurant. That song has been used a lot in other AGS games, like Family Treasure and that fighter with Sierra characters.

No other game uses this song. Maybe it reminds you of another one, but I assure you, it's original.
Mom's Robot Oil. Made with 10% more love than the next leading brand.
("Mom" and "love" are registered trademarks of Mom-Corp.)

Steel Drummer

Okay, if you don't believe me, download Mortal Wombat's fighting game. Play it for the first minute or so and tell me if you hear the same song used in SJM.
I'm composing the music for this game:

ManicMatt

Quote from: big brother on Wed 03/01/2007 21:19:59
Yes, and you would pay $49.95+ for each one. :)

Not if they had the same exact graphics they wouldn't, as nobody would spend $49.95+ on something so old looking as a new release. All I'm saying is, it's silly of you/him to compare your game with classic LucasArts titles from years ago.

big brother

And it isn't silly to say that if those classics were made today they would have the full voice BUT the exact same graphics???

I assumed you didn't mean just speech, but higher production values in all aspects (modern team then -> modern team now), in which case the game would be more expensive (modern pricing).

Steel Drummer:
Played it and our song is not used. You can listen to it here for comparison:
http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/previews/music1.mp3

floorboards

Call it nostalgia or whatever, but I prefer the pixel-y old school graphics. A lot of the AGS games evoke the same style as the classic LucasArts adventures (despite being worked on years later, most of us wish there were more of those great games from that era, right?) and I'd rather pay $8.99 for a retro experience than pay $49.95 for most modern-style games.

vict0r

QuoteI'm sorry you feel it's too expensive--a lot of hard work went into the game, and I didn't want to compromise that and short change ourselves, especially considering that the money will be used to pay for the expenses of Apprentice 3

This means that apprentice 3 will be free then?

ManicMatt

Quote from: big brother on Wed 03/01/2007 23:19:17
And it isn't silly to say that if those classics were made today they would have the full voice BUT the exact same graphics???

EXACTLY! So he shouldn't compare old titles to SJM as it's illogical.  :)

Nikolas

Games can be about many things:

Education (no one can take away that aspect)
Entertainment (of course!)
Spending silly time (The sims? ;D)
Professional reasons (someone already working in the industry who would support other indie developers).

And so on...

On the entertainment aspect, it does appear that a lot of peoples entertainment does not relly on superb graphics, or amazing epic music, or full 3-d games, but different stuff, ideas and gameplay. In the end if a game can be replayed, because there are small things missed, and takes a lot of hours to finish, and can trigger different thoughts in your head, for me it's worth it. :)

Just some personal thoughts... Sorry for the semi-rant!

Steel Drummer

Steel Drummer:

Sorry, my mistake. I guess when i downloaded the music1 mp3 a while ago, it was in my downloads folder and the games were in the same folder, so they must have loaded that song. Woops! I'm still a bit tired of hearing that song so many times in those game though. ;)
I'm composing the music for this game:

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I normally choose to say nothing in completed games threads because they in particular seem to be a source for people to come in and blab about things that are either

a) off topic (hints, this game is better than yours)

b) disrespectful to the author(s)

If you don't want to buy the game, don't.  It really is that simple.  What is not necessary is for you to do the following:

a) State in great detail why you won't buy/play/recommend the game.  These are things best left elsewhere, like a reviewers website or in a personal communication with the author(s). 

b) Create a debate thread inside the completed games about why you don't think the game is good/worth paying for/fun/funny/etc.  You have a right to your opinion, but that right shouldn't extend to flooding a game thread with that opinion in an attempt to sour people against the game.

I find both to be highly distasteful.  Seriously, folks, can't you put yourself in the author(s) shoes and wonder "Would someone writing this off the cuff upset me?"

This post is not meant to discourage you from having a negative opinion about a game, its purpose is to hopefully make you think a bit more before you press that post button.

Thanks.

lemmy101

I assumed you didn't mean just speech, but higher production values in all aspects (modern team then -> modern team now), in which case the game would be more expensive (modern pricing).

Steel Drummer:

Er. Okay, first off I want to say I really liked the music in SJM. Especially the resteraunt music (not to mention your Herculian Effort chime) and both me and Binky happen to be big fans of Greg's music... but I need clarifcation here. The mp3 link you posted: Is that the other tune, or is that an mp3 version of Super Jazz Man? as we're both unable to tell the difference :-\ If the former, maybe it's some jazz scale thing but those sounded identical to us. Sorry if we've got this confused :D

CaptainBinky

Hello!

Aye - totally cool jazz music there, Geoffkahn, and I like the whole 16 colour art style! I would just like to know, though... will you be doing a beepy boopy PC squeaker option to compliment the old PC game style look? Cos I didn't have a decent music card when I was playing 16 colour games  :P I just think it's a shame that "retro" only ever seems to be applied to visuals.

Waddayathink?  ;D

Cap'n Binky

A Lemmy & Binky Production

Gregjazz

Quote from: CaptainBinky on Fri 05/01/2007 00:21:21
Aye - totally cool jazz music there, Geoffkahn, and I like the whole 16 colour art style! I would just like to know, though... will you be doing a beepy boopy PC squeaker option to compliment the old PC game style look? Cos I didn't have a decent music card when I was playing 16 colour games  :P I just think it's a shame that "retro" only ever seems to be applied to visuals.

Thanks!! Oh man, can AGS even do PC speaker? I do remember how cool that skeleton song in MI2 was... :)

Quote from: lemmy101 on Fri 05/01/2007 00:00:45
The mp3 link you posted: Is that the other tune, or is that an mp3 version of Super Jazz Man?

The link goes the a rendered (MP3) version of the Super Jazz Man theme. So it'll sound different than what's in the game of course, since you have a different soundcard no doubt.

lemmy101

Riiigght. That would explain it then :D Sorry for the confusion.

voh

ProgZ: Offering your game to the world makes it a public affair, and therefore both positive and negative remarks will be mentioned. If only positive feedback is allowed to be given, how will the creators know htere might be a problem somewhere?

I disagree with you on more than just that, but I'll leave it be.

I'm glad you guys did a playable demo. At least now I have a fairly good idea of what the game would play like, sound like, look and feel like. I'll be purchasing it and I do NOT feel it is too expensive.
Still here.

big brother

Aside from the off-topic, if anyone has played the game and wants to post their thoughts (negative or positive), feel free. I've seen these mini-reviews in other Completed Games threads, so I don't think it would be inappropriate.

Stupot

I've Just bought the game after playing the Demo which I thought was Ace.
I haven't played any of the full game yet, coz I'm about to go to bed, but I'll give it a little review when I've played it.
I don't see why people are moaning about having to pay for it.  Some things cost money, it's called life and it's not like it's a massive hole in the wallet. It really is just a token gesture as a sign of respect to the authors who have put in a lot of time and effort and money into creating what is bound to be a great game, better than some of the old-school MI wannabes from back in the day.

JimmyShelter

I finished it. I got 3 endings in the end.

It's a very nice game. Humorous, good graphics, good music and fun puzzles.

I did find the fighting puzzle a bit too hard:
Spoiler

To get 12 punches right was pretty hard: I knew the solution to the puzzle, but getting it right still took me 10 minutes.
Maybe taking out the first guy in 4 punches and then the second one in 6 punches would be a better way to do the puzzle.
[close]

I must admit that even though I really liked the game, I did find the game just a bit to short for the amount of money. I expected it to be about double as long as it finally was.

big brother

Out of curiosity, how many hours would you say it took you to beat the game (start to finish)? It's hard for me to figure since I know all the answers. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk