tune contest...... jan 1st - jan 10th

Started by boojiboy, Mon 01/01/2007 11:14:48

Previous topic - Next topic

boojiboy

Hey guys. I didn't actually come first in the last contest, I came second, but the winner seems to be away so I've been requested to put up the latest competition.

Alright....

This competition:
It's 1979 and I've just finished directing a cheap and bloody slasher film. I want to improve the quality of the picture by using the latest in synth technology and create an atmospheric and suspenseful score.

Confused? Go and watch or listen to some scores from horror films from around 1979. Try and capture the feel of the time. Drums are acceptable and encouraged.

Hope to see some cool tracks. Good luck everyone!!!

PS My computers broken so I can't work on any trophies, if anyone wants to make some up and send them to me I'd appreciate it.

Tuomas

hehe, would this be like Thriller-stuff? I think I might give it a shot next week if I find time!

boojiboy

You can interpret it however you want. But, yes, a Thriller type thing would be pretty damn suitable. Good luck, can't wait to hear some entries!!

thomasregin

Suspense it is then! ;)

Thriller & Suspense

Thrillers from 1979 isn't my specialty. As the matter of fact I can't recall a single film from 1979, but I hope you'll enjoy my tune anyway!

/Tom..

LimpingFish

Yay! A genre I can relate to!  :D

Inspired by the great Italian horror classics (Suspiria, Profondo Rosso, Tenebrae, etc), all scored by the masterful Goblin, I present...

Prowling Goblin.<----- Click to play! (2:32 - 256k MP3)

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

boojiboy

:) phew! I'm glad we've got a goblin fan here. That's exactly what I'm looking for really.

Also, so no one gets confused again. The subject is NOT 'thrillers' from 1979. It's horror films, think Halloween etc.
Still a good track Thomasregin.

Keep em coming.

thomasregin

Quote from: boojiboy on Sat 06/01/2007 02:53:18
:) phew! I'm glad we've got a goblin fan here. That's exactly what I'm looking for really.

Also, so no one gets confused again. The subject is NOT 'thrillers' from 1979. It's horror films, think Halloween etc.
Still a good track Thomasregin.

Keep em coming.

Ah, well.. I had absolutely no idea what you were looking for! ;)

/Tom..

Tuomas

Quote from: Tuomas on Mon 01/01/2007 18:26:04
hehe, would this be like Thriller-stuff? I think I might give it a shot next week if I find time!

Yeah, I meat like Michael Jackson - Thriller thing, but I'm not going to be able to enter :(

mysticjim

The film buff in me felt the need to scout the horror films that actually came out in 1979 on the internet movie database, have to say I don't really think it was a vintage year myself!

Notable films, or rather, films that I have seen, include Alien - although thats as much sci fi as it is horror, Phantasm - influencial in its day but has not dated well, The Amityville Horror, which was something of a victory of hype over quality, The Driller Killer - a cult classic, but in reality a pretty bad excuse for tons of fake blood and gore!

Other 'interesting' films from that year included;

Zombi 2 - aka 'Island of Flesh Eaters!'  ;D
When a Stranger Calls
Nocturna - aka 'Grand-Daughter of Dracula!'
Cat and the Canary
Thirst
Killer Fish - aka 'Deadly Treasure of the Piranha!'

And winning the best title award;

Weasals Rip my Flesh!

Lowest rated film in the list was 'The Capture of Bigfoot' which averaged a vote of 1.4 out of a possible 10, as voted for by over 200 people, making it officially most of the worst films in living history, according to The Internet Movie Database!  This has sparked my curiousity - I get the feeling this film may be so awful it will be worth watching for a bit of a giggle.  Anyone seen it???  :D

With regards to the tune contest, just saying 1979 horror film is a little vague.  Horror soundtracks have always shared a few key themes over the years, spooky orchestral pieces, for example, will never go out of fashion, so can't really be pinned down to an exact year or even a group of years. 

I'm guessing you picked '79 as the synthesizer was starting to work its way into horror films a lot more, although in my opinion, the early 80's slasher pics are the ones I most distictly associate with the cheezy synth sounds I think you're talking about.  Although I could be mistaken.

However, I'm afraid its a little academic for me, I doubt I'm going to get time to enter this one, which is a pity.  :( I've got some really awful 80's virtual synths for my sequencer! Nevermind, maybe next time.
- Winner of the 10/12/06 Tune Contest

boojiboy

Ok, I only chose '79 cause I wanted to give a year so that people could get a rough idea of the era. I'm not really looking for  anything too 80s. 79 was the year halloween came out and that really did have a huge influence on the horror genre through the 80s (not that I'm the biggest fan of the film). The score from halloween is actually almost a rip off of some goblin score. Was it deep red? Can't remember, some Argento film.

So ah, yeah my point is... don't limit yourselves to 79 specifically. From about 76 to 81 are perfect for this competetion.

And mysticjim, it'd be great if you could work on something, there's not that many entries and I'll probably have to extend the deadline anyway.

mysticjim

Hi dude!

I'll try and sort something out, if the deadline gets extended then I might have chance, but I'm fairly busy at the mo.

By the way, according to IMDB, apparently Halloween was actually '78, although thats probably just the US release date - it probably had a staggered release in other parts of the world. 

So, we're looking late 70's horror, well, I'll try and come up with a short and reasonably creepy tune, but as I said, I'm struggling for time. 

And everyone else, c'mon people, lets get see if we can get a few more entries going here.  ;D

LimpingFish

Quote from: boojiboy on Sun 07/01/2007 02:43:15
The score from halloween is actually almost a rip off of some goblin score. Was it deep red? Can't remember, some Argento film.

Yeah, it was Profondo Rosso, aka Deep Red, which was made in 1975.

If you have iTunes installed, you can compare the two at the iTunes store.

Music> Rock> Goblin> Profondo Rosso> Track 2

vs

Music> Soundtrack> John Carpenter> Halloween: 20th Anniversay Edition> Track 1

The piano rift is very similar.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

boojiboy

right halloween came out in 78. All the halloween rip offs came out in 79. My mistake.

Pretty sure John Carpenter has admitted to being influenced by the score from deep red. However, I don't think he admitted to the fact that the idea for halloween came from the director of Black Christmas (75 i believe) who did a lecture at Carpenter's school. He told them the idea and Carpenter asked if he would use it and he said probably not. Hence, Halloween, one of te best selling independant films ever made.

mysticjim

I do rate Carpenter, but Halloween never really grabbed me.  I much prefer Escape from New York and Escape from LA!!!! And Dark Star is a classic.

And I've not forgiven him for that rather terrible 'Ghosts of Mars.'

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I happen to be a fan of the Goblin myself (I have most of his early work) so I thought I would do a remix of Profondo Rosso.  Originally I was going to stay rather faithful to it and then I decided to have fun.

Edit:  I forgot that my host doesn't like sound files, so just change the .rar extention to ogg and it will play.

http://www11.asphost4free.com/veradinx/rossoremix.rar

boojiboy

Well there's 3 entries but I wouldn't mind having a bit more so I'll extend it by 5 days.
ProgZmax - something's wrong with the file. Seems it's corrupt after downloading it.

Hopefully we can get some more entries.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteEdit:  I forgot that my host doesn't like sound files, so just change the .rar extention to ogg and it will play.

mysticjim

And ogg's don't play in Windows Media Player.

Erenan

The Bunker

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

There's a free codec, isn't there, that'll make ogg play on WMPlayer? I've come across it, and I had it once, dunno what happened to it...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk