How do I make and import my own character

Started by , Thu 15/02/2007 03:48:45

Previous topic - Next topic

diyforever

I'm sorry if this has been posted before but this is my first post. I'm really excited with AGS and I've started designing backrounds and what not but I can't seem to find any information on how to make and import my own characters. I would really appreciate it if someone could guide me in the right direction with this one. Thanks a million.

monkey0506

If you would read the forum rules for the Beginner's Forum (here), you would notice that TerranRich strongly dislikes this type of thread:

Quote from: TerranRichFROM NOW ON, anybody who asks a question that is easily and completely answered in the BFAQ WILL BE LOCKED the minute I discover it! PLEASE, READ THE BFAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS. This saves bandwidth and a lot of time and patience. :)

And if you read the BFAQ:

Quote from: AGS Wiki BFAQ[/url]How on Earth do I create my own characters!?

First, you must save each frame in the animation in any painting program as a .BMP, .PCX, .PNG or .TGA file. For alpha blended sprites, only .PNG and .TGA support these for when AGS is set to 32-bit colour-depth. There is also an option to import all the frames from a GIF animation, although GIFS are always limited to 256 colours and no alpha channel.

Then, import them one-by-one into the Sprite Editor in AGS. In the Views section of AGS, create a new view (or use the existing one to replace the main character's walking animation) and choose the images for each direction there. Next, in the Characters pane, create a character (or use the first one, if you're replacing low-res Roger as your main character) and select the corresponding views. If you want talking views (animations run when the player is talking), then read the question below. Finally, make sure that "This is the player character" is not checked. And ensure that the new/altered character starts in the room you want him/her to (i.e. 0 for INTRO.CRM (or ROOM0.CRM for AGS V2.7 and above) and 1 for ROOM1.CRM, etc.).

Just FYI, there's several problems with your post:

1) It's in the wrong forum. Reading the forum rules would help you to realize this.
2) Even in the Beginner's forum (where this type of question should go), this question itself is taboo because it's covered in the BFAQ. Again, reading the rules would help.
3) You haven't read the forum rules. There's a reason why the rules are there. If you're not going to read them, then you accept full responsibility for whatever consequences ensue.

3 is several, right? :P

Anyway...welcome to the forums!

Shameless plug

esper

I think two is a couple, three is a few, and four or more makes several.

Sorry, pal, but if you don't read the BFAQ, people will react a bit harshly. Hopefully this hasn't wiped out the enthusiasm you mentioned. We're a very helpful and close-knit community, and even when topics about cartoon characters have been known (recently) to make people up and leave, it's still a great place to be. Just make sure you read the BFAQ and the tutorial in the manual. When I started with AGS, I made my first complete game with absolutely no scripting knowledge whatsoever, from scratch, in a week, simply by using the aforementioned resources.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

monkey0506

Just for the record, none of what I said was meant to be personal, I'm just trying to let you know that you messed up on a few points. You should really read over the rules. Sure it's lame...and boring...and dreadfully dull...but it could keep you out of trouble with the mods.

Pumaman

You might like to re-read the rules yourself monkey_05_06, in particular:

3. If you're not a moderator, don't pretend to be one. If a thread needs to be moved or locked, the moderators will deal with it.

:P

Andail

Ahem, CJ, I don't see "moderator" anywhere in your title.

Please leave the moderating to the moderators!

Gilbert

Ban Pumaman!

Alrightm enough silly posts. :=

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk