Sprite Jam (Until 25.3.07)

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Sat 17/03/2007 03:22:04

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

Good day, boys and girls, and welcome to another edition of "The Sprite Jam". I am your host, SpacePirateCaine, and I am here to present this week's topic. So without further ado, here it is:

Things that haven't been inventory items... yet

I want to see some new and interesting inventory items: Stuff that hasn't been combined or pixel-hunted before in a currently-released game. Go ahead and take a look through this thread in the Popular threads index and choose one item from the list that truly hasn't been in a game yet, and turn it into a sprite of max 50x50 dimensions, 256 colors. If you think that there's something else that deserves to be sprited up, that you haven't put on the list, make your sprite, and add it to the list. But I want it to be something new and interesting.

The competition will run from the moment of this posting until midnight, March 25th, Japan time. Good luck to everyone who enters the competition, and I'm looking forward to seeing a good turnout this time.

Ready? ...go!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

markbilly

A handmade Blowtorch. Made from a fridge element and a spray can.

Soon to appear in my AGS game...

x2

Yes, I know you couldn't actually make this, but it's an adventure game  ;)

Oooops, does the item HAVE to be on that list?

SpacePirateCaine

I don't mind really if it isn't on the list. I put the link there to give people some inspiration, but feel free to make any item you like, so long as it hasn't already been in a game. Do go ahead and add it to the thread, though.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Mad

> use giant hamster drinking trough with petrol

> use petrol filled trough with stuffed ant-eater

"Good idea, but I've got nothing to keep it in place!"

> pick up sticky tape

> use petrol filled trough with stuffed ant-eater

> use unleaded ant-eater with lighter

"Hey, a DIY blow torch!"

Tuomas

Afflict

markbilly

Quote from: Mad on Thu 22/03/2007 15:11:59
"Hey, a DIY blow torch!"

I like that. I unfortunately can't write something like it into the sci-fi adventure I'm doing :P Better sprites than mine too!

Edited by mod: Please don't quote entire post with images, thank you.

gASK

Okay, I browsed through most of that topic you posted and I as wanted to do something a bit different than the other two contestants so far, I stopped at this post and present you:
(2x)(1x)
a human liver!

Well, could be used at some medical game (hm..never seen one, could be an original idea maybe?). Or at some Frankenstein style game - "Igor, bring me some brain..oh, and that liver over there!". Or just as some weird alien delicacy...

markbilly

Quote from: gASK on Sun 25/03/2007 11:30:14

AGS Operation! a la the board game, someone make it! :D

Edited by mod: Please don't quote whole post with images, especially when it's just the last post before yours. Thank you.

SpacePirateCaine

Alrighty, the time has come to pass judgement upon all who have participated in this competition. I'm happy to have at least three of you to blather at - and thanks for humoring me and joining in. Since there's so few of you (though I intended to do it regardless), I'm going to critique a bit as well as announce our winner.

So, we'll do them in order:

Markbilly's Handmade Blowtorch
This one is a touch difficult to tell at a glance what you're looking at. I recognized after reading what it was a tank on the right side, and what I think are some tubes, but I was a little confused. Still, it looks like it'd be fun to use, and sure you can hand-make a blowtorch, if you're industrious enough. I like the concept, and as you dropped down your torch before Mad, that's also commendable. If I might also offer some artistic constructive criticism, the image would look a bit smoother if you removed some of those double-pixels. All in all, though - a groovy piece of sprite inventory.

Mad's DIY Blowtorch
Another blowtorch! I was a little suprised to see that 66% of our entries were implements of burnination. Still, I reckon that they're far-removed from one another enough to be considerable as completely different things. Where Markbilly sprited up a machine, you shoved a giant hamster drinking trough up a stuffed ant-eater's rectum and filled it with volatile liquids. Who could ask for anything more? Now, the sheer volume of sprites here really helps to make the post stand out, but it's one entry per jam - and by that right, I'm considering the final product (inv23.png) to be your actual entry, and the others just a prelude thereto. The elegant and simple use of color, and the consistent inventory item style definitely contributes. Very well done.

and finally,

gASK's Human Liver
That's definitely an original piece of inventory right there. Though I think I've seen various body parts in games before, I'm certain I've yet to see a human liver. Now, this is another example of something I sure as hell wouldn't have been able to tell had I not seen what it was (But that kinda stands to reason with a chunk of meat, such as it is). I also dig the idea of a medical game (though I seem to remember that Sierra released a medical game of some sort - anybody else?). Considering the subject material, I'd have to say you did a pretty good job.

Now, it's time for the hard part - deciding objectively on a winner.

From an artistic, and entertainment value point of view, I'm thinking Mad deserves this one. Thank you all for entering the competition, and I hope to see the rest of you in Mad's, when he's got it going.

Congrats, Mad!

Mad

Yay, I won!

Actually had great fun making those sprites, so thanks for the topic and choosing my sprite!

I'll see if I can come up with a new topic in the next few minutes (while I'm still at work and fully connected, net-wise)...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk