Sprite Jam (24/04/07 - 01/05/07) - WE KNOW THE WINNERS

Started by gASK, Tue 24/04/2007 09:01:59

Previous topic - Next topic

gASK

As a present for my birthday I won another sprite jam (woo!). So, as a tribute to my aniversary, this weeks theme is gonna be:

B I R T H D A Y

So what do I want to see? Since this event is a sprite jam, the result must be a single sprite (surprisingly!). Since there wasn't a character oriented sprite jam in ages, this one will be character oriented - so, without further ado, I present to you the Quest. The Quest you need to fulfill in order to win this competition is to give me the most ridiculous birthday party entertainer - may it be a clown, a magicican, someones mother, a drunken weirdo or whatever poor being crosses your mind. During the evaluation, the artistic view will of course be taken in account, but originality and ridiculousness (what a word, if it is a word) will have significant value as well!

What restrictions are there? None in terms of size, just keep it reasonable. However you are supposed to use no more than 32 colors.

When does this event end? On May the 1st, sometime when the evening comes to good ol' Europe. However it is possible that I won't get to computer until the morning of May the 2nd.

And what do you get from all this, you ask? Respect, fame*, money** and women/men***...and of course a beautiful trophy and the honor to host next round.

Any more questions? No? So sprite away!

* Fame only guaranteed in insignificant portion of this comunity.
** 10'000 AG$. Untransferable to any currency actualy usable. Refunds not possible.
*** Neither women nor men are included in this package. Groupie kit(TM) must be purchased separately.

Khris

Decided to enter this; cool theme!

2x, 12 cols + transparency

It's a pathetic fat entertainer who couldn't decide whether to come as a clown or a birthday bunny.

cobra79

adult birthday entertainment  ;D

2x 16colors

EdLoen

I'm not very active, but an Idea popped into my head with this--albit not very creative.

1x; 30c's(including the white bonk-lines)

3x; 30c's(including the white bonk-lines)

Now for alittle story to go with it:

It rained on the day that was supposed to be little Timmy's birthday, so the party had to be moved inside.  To further matters, the hired clown for the little 3-year old's party recieved a flat on the way to the house and had to cancel or be late.  The child was cranky, and the parents were fuming.  Somehow, Uncle Jack unwittingly entered the foray when he had attemted to calm his brother and his sister-in-law down.

With tempers risen, and aggrivation high, Uncle Jack was given a sarcatic remark to entertain the children himself.  In a huff, the balding, middle-aged man picked up some of Timmy's toys and began to juggle--only to have to be reminded he couldn't when they came crashing down upon his head.

While Timmy would never remember his party that day, Uncle Jack will always forever.

yeah, I kinda wrote that from my ass, but the sprite's not really physically pathetic so I had to try to come up with something to accompany it.

gASK

As promised, here I am to deliver judgement and prizes.

So, we will start with the 3rd place, and that is cobra79 with his adult birthday entertainment. It is neither much original nor ridiculous, the stripper seems too flat, sticks from the cake weirdly and has one arm significantly shorter. Nevertheless, it is clearly executed with minimum colors and so it's clear 3rd place.

2nd place goes to EdLoen for his juggling uncle Jack. I had a hard time deciding - I liked the idea as much as KhrisMUC's one, but his sprite was better drawn so - second place. But a very close one. Very good idea, nice drawing and story - I especially like the facial expression of uncle Jack. :)

And finally, the first place is awarded to the last remaining contestant KhrisMUC and his fat bunny clown. He looks sadly ridiculous and is an amazing idea executed with exceptional skill and breath taking attention to detail. Plus it's just 12 colors yet it looks colorful. Congratulations, you deserve the first place.

Khris

Thanks! I'm a bit surprised there weren't more entries, it certainly wasn't for the topic being unoriginal or anything.

I'll start the new jam very soon.

Btw, I've recently discovered this thread on the pixelation forums which contains some really impressive vids, check it out, you pixelers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk