Tune Contest - May 01 -> May 10 (Winner announced!)

Started by Oz, Tue 01/05/2007 11:05:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Sorry guys! I completely forgot about this. :-[

For this contest, your objective is to score this background (by loominus):

I was browsing through old Background Blitz threads and this immediately caught my attention. Very expressionate, and very open to interpretation. How would you go about scoring this if it was an adventure game background?

Peaceful? Mysterious? Ambient? Sad? Cheerful? Will you allow the music to be intrusive or keep it down low and subtle?

Good luck!
Diversity is divine!

Hammerite

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=background.mp3

My entry is fairly minimalist, though somewhat longer than the previous one!
I'm learning!
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Haddas

I went into a different direction. For some reason i think it looks like a cheerful morning

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=Haddcore___6am.mp3

InCreator

Ooh, what a magnificent picture. My theme's supposed to be mysterious, calm and a bit sad.
Good that I made a track for it  ;) Inspired from "Not for the dough" by Multicyde.
I actually intend to use this song in a game someday. If I ever I get any game done...

www.increator.pri.ee/muz/calm.mp3

Pling!

http://uppit.com/d/Y40L7

To be honest, I've already been working on this track before the contest started, so this is not an entry. I worked it over and now I think it creates a nice atmosphere along with the picture.

radiowaves

Ok, I went oldschool this time. Kept it nice and subtle, I think intrusive sounds are more suitable for large open areas, not for stuffed place like this. And i would guess that bg is somewhere in the game low-midpoint, usual peaceful clicking. And what is more suitable for nature than sounds of nature, natural sounds?

Here is my go:

http://www.clicksandbleeps.com/music/ags.mp3

It can be looped.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

bartillier

Oz

Quote from: Meat on Wed 02/05/2007 15:59:15
http://uppit.com/d/Y40L7

To be honest, I've already been working on this track before the contest started, so this is not an entry. I worked it over and now I think it creates a nice atmosphere along with the picture.

I don't think that disqualifies it as an entry? Does it? Anyone?
Diversity is divine!

InCreator

I don't think so neither: I tend to have loads of saved music projects, which are usually a quick idea or simple melody, which I forge into full songs later when I have more ideas or willpower.
This is also the case, am I disqualified?

Oz

Quote from: InCreator on Fri 04/05/2007 14:39:25
I don't think so neither: I tend to have loads of saved music projects, which are usually a quick idea or simple melody, which I forge into full songs later when I have more ideas or willpower.
This is also the case, am I disqualified?

No, let's allow it! I think it's perfectly okay. So you may not have written the piece specifically for the contest, but it's your composition and if you see it fit to use it as an entry there is no reason why you should start from scratch, writing the same piece over again. :) What do you think?
Diversity is divine!

Le Woltaire

Here is my piece for the background (900kb):

http://spectrum.sitesled.com/music/Prelude.mp3

I think the picture has a lot of contrast. It contains light parts in the middle and it becomes more dark at the bottom part. There are two concrete objects in the picture (e.g. the barrels) the rest is a bit more abstract and consists of small movements and lines.

I decided to make a simple harmonic construction, that consists of a bright main theme that has lots of small movements. I embedded a dark concrete theme in this bright structure in order to fit with the composition of the background... 

Nick Dangerous

I'm gonna upload now because I don't want to miss the deadline again. Maybe I'm gonna put in some variations later and upload a new version then.

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=Idyll___88Bpm.mp3

Pling!

@bartillier: thanks dude ;)

Fine, this is a nice joust again, I gladly enter.

Hammerite

Not as many people as last time, but its still a decent amount and will probably make it easier for Oz to judge!
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

bartillier

i'm still entering, i'm gonna try and "finish" the piece tomorow, it'll still be unfinished though,
but i'm  entering nonthe less

kaputtnik

Whoa, I'm late but I'm in!

Here it is, sneaking through the forest in medieval rapscallion style

http://www.file-upload.net/download-269679/waldschrat-gryhpius.mid.html

edit: sorry for that freaking creepy ad that pops up when you want to download...
I, object.

bartillier

here's my entry, a little late and unfinished (Again) but it's all i could manage to do in one day (started on it this morning)

descriptive link

deFineLicht

Wow bartillier, if you were only half as good at hosting tune contests... ;)

Peder 🚀

@ meat, La Woltaire and bartillier, your entries was the ones that impressed me the most!

Oz

Nice work guys! Many of the tracks here remind me very much of an ambient/synth pop group called The Art Of Noise. They have a caribbean style track called "Crusoe", and another similar one called "Island", which are both very nice. Check them out!

Hammerite

Cool ambient track. A little chaotic and random, but it adds to the weirdness it conveys. In my opinion it's a little too taxing to work well with such a calm scene, but it's a nice, subtle track that I think would work well in a darker and more mysterious scene.

Haddas

Nice feel to this one. I like the pads and the general surrealness of the composition. Dreamy. Distant.
I think it gets a little out of hand with the drumming, which pulls the song away from the placid feel, but overall it's a great track, and I think think it works well (in a refreshing kind of way) with loominus' image. Good job!

InCreator

Aaah. Very soothing. Adds a little (just enough) mystery to the location. Very subtle. Makes you slowly drift away. I like this. Nice pads. Cool arrangement.

Meat

Old-school pirate style song. How can you not dig it? :) Immediately sets the scene. We're in the Caribbean! I like the first part of the song. Strong and simple melody. Works well with the image.

radiowaves

Very simple, yet effective. Works well with the scene and doesn't take too much attention away from the visuals. I would love to hear it develop a little. It's a nice and functional track, but it needs a little variation. Good effort!

Le Woltaire

Nice piano work. I think it's a little too irregular to work well with the scene. It's somewhat scattered (does anyone get what I mean?) and feels more like a standalone tune than background music. Nice technique though!

Nick Dangerous

Another cool synthpop track. It's nice as a standalone tune, but I wouldn't really expect it to play as background music for this scene. It works great on its own, but not really that well with loominus' image.

kaputtnik

This is pretty good, but a little too busy for the scene I think. It doesn't quite match the calmness and the picturesque visuals of the image.

bartillier

Cool and varied. Nice composition. This tune has excellent character and depth. I was sort of waiting for something else to happen. A change of dynamics perhaps? I think the opening is a little too dramatic for the scene, but overall it's a solid piece that gives the scene a touch of mystery and magic.

And the winner is...

...InCreator!

You managed to perfectly capture the calmness of the image and add a slight dose of mystery and suspense to it. Dreamy, and almost a little hypnotizing!

And to the rest of you - good job. As a matter of fact, I think all entries could work with this background. It's a matter of how you interpret the image. Perhaps voting would have been a better way to pick a winner. Oh well. :)

Congratulations InCreator!
Diversity is divine!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk