AGS Tune Contest: July 20 to July 30 (Winner Announced)

Started by Jelfish, Fri 20/07/2007 05:13:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Jelfish

Hi all

I've written a very short story for this contest.  Please read it first:

I felt warm, I remember.   I opened my eyes and looked to my left and saw Geordie still sleeping, curled up in a ball wearing our matching blue and yellow airplane pajamas that Mom thought were so cute.  It only made it harder for her to tell us apart.  I always woke up first as the window was on my side of the room.  It was still pretty early and only light blue seeped through the side of the closed shades.  The floors creaked gently as hot water rushed into the radiator, the heat comforting me like a loving embrace.  I hugged my security blanket.

Geordie woke up, probably sporting the usual menacing grin on his face.  I suddenly felt a ballistic plushie contact my head and I knew my few moments of peace were over.  I pick up the poor stuffed hippo and aimed as Geordie jumped out of bed, ready to dodge.  I fired, right at his head, as Geordie ducked and ran to my bed.  Before I could figure out what was going on, he jumped up from the edge and grabbed my beloved blankey.

Enraged, I leapt out to chased him, the most violent possible thoughts of a 5 year old entering my mind and aimed at Geordie like laser beams.  He ran around his bed, with me close behind.  Just as I thought I had him cornered, he jumped over his bed, ran across the room, and jumped on to mine, teasing me all the while.

I slowly crouch, feigning defeat, and pick up a small stuffed cow.  I stared at him waving my security blanket in victory, and waited for the first moment his attention slipped.  And like a flash, I raise my arm and torpedoed the cow.  Geordie turned around and tried to dodge, but miscalculated his proximity to the bed's edge.  His arms twirled as he fell back, looking for something to grab.   His hands found a cord and the blinds flew up.

A bright flash hit me like nothing before and as my vision returned, I saw what I must have thought was sugar falling from the sky and a coating of icing on top of the buildings.  The orange street lamps were adorned with white party-hats and the cars were lumps under a blanket of cotton.  All the while, Geordie was starting to cry.  I turned to him and said "Look!" and pointed.  He stumbled over, rubbing his head, turned and froze in awe.  We stood, silent, and watched as the flakes swirled behind the window and yellow light from snow-plow beacons passed through the metal bars of the fire escape and swept across our room.  And as we stood the floor creaked again.  Water rushed into the radiator sitting next to me, the metal fittings crackling like a purring kitten, and I felt warm, I remember.

For this tune contest, I want you to write music that somehow captures the very last moment of that story, either the events of the scene, an encapsulation of the emotion, or both.  You may want to consider the human context -- children seeing snow for the first time, the setting -- an apartment building in a city in the morning, and what's happening -- a heavy snow storm falling.

There are no limitations.  The music can be abstract or literal.  It doesn't have to be melancholy or upbeat or happy or pensive.  You can use any sort of instruments in any combination.  It just has to be appropriate as far as how you interpret the scene.   After all, most game music is incidental music!  You can explain your specific motivation if you'd like, but it's not necessary.

Good luck!!

Hammerite

There's a background sample of some TV in the background, along with a number of samples of a midi instrument (electric piano) some of which have been edited, etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?22fnfymzz2y
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Hammerite

Jelfish

Quote from: Hammerite on Mon 23/07/2007 17:00:17
Only 6 mo' daythe!

Hey Hammerite - thanks for entering.  I would have commented already but I'm waiting till the last day to listen to them.

Jelfish

Jelfish

Hammerite

bartillier

tube

Quote from: bartillier on Fri 27/07/2007 22:30:53
here's my entry  :)

The link doesn't work due to some extra garbage in the url. This link should work.

bartillier

bartillier

well i guess this competition failed, maybe you should start anotherone?

Gilbert

There're two entries already, I don't think it had failed. Specifically just some "periodic" phenomenon that a round doesn't get so many entries. (Especially when it's Mittens time, so no wonders.)

Jelfish

Oh well.  Two entries is enough for a contest  ;D 

I don't know what the protocol is so I'll comment on the pieces first.

Bartillier: I was impressed by the composition.  The multiple voices were distinct, but worked together nicely.  The balance of the instruments was good and the samples were pretty (I assume you didn't record this live).  The voicing gave it a very awe-inspired feel, which certainly can be applied to the story.  Really the only thing that struck me as odd was the ending, which was rather abrupt.  I don't know if that was your intention or if it's unfinished, but that was somewhat upsetting considering how nice it was sounding  ;)

Hammerite:  The background TV was created an interesting context to the electronic sounds that you used.  It made me think of a somewhat scatterbrained focus that suddenly gains lucidity, and I think that change is a strong point in your piece.  As far as criticism, I think there were some specific sounds that transitioned rather startlingly.  I think if you layer your sounds a bit more judiciously and give them more gentler entrances and exits, it would sound more together.  Also, I would suggest playing with stereo offsetting to make your sounds more expansive.  I happen to be a fan of electronic music, so I'm glad you chose this route.  But electronic music is a tough beast because of the huge possibilities of sounds and lack of historical context to make it as easily accessible to average people.  It seems to me that you have a good ear for it though.  You just need to show those sounds who's boss  ;D

Thank you both for submitting entries.   We almost ended without a competition, and that's no fun.

Anyway, the winner is....... here

Hammerite

Jelfish

So, it's only been a day, but out of curiosity, what is the protocol for waiting for the next person to post a contest?  (Sorry, I'm kind of anxious)

Hammerite

just keep checking and he'll put one up, he needs time to think of something, and since the forum's international, you can't expect he'll be awake at the same time.

djres

So... when's the next tune contest going to be?

Jelfish

Well, it seems like Bartillier never came back to claim his victory.  Like I said in my last post, I don't know what happens if the winner doesn't create a new contest.  Maybe Hammerite should do it.  I think we've waited long enough for a new contest.

Hammerite

If there's nothing by Wednesday, then I'll do the next one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk