Sprite Jam (Until 7.8.07): Rethinking Style (Winner Announced)

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Tue 31/07/2007 20:34:15

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

Okay, as per usual, I've been procrastinating on starting a new topic due to a rather distinct lack of inspiration. I'm always flattered when someone chooses my work over all the other great and worthy entries, but it does mean that I'm shouldering the responsibility of thinking up a topic, typing it out eventually, and ultimately judging the subsequent competition. I'd almost rather leave it to one of the other winners, that way I could enter again (since really, the most fun part is actually making the sprites). But enough rambling from me, I have a sprite jam to host, and it's already late.

Anyway, this week's jam's theme is: Rethinking style

What would The Curse of Monkey Island have been like if guybrush was still done in the same style as Secret of..., or LeChuck's Revenge? What would The Longest Journey have been like in EGA? What I'd like you to do is take an existing game character and re-think them in a different graphical style (Preferably a commercial game, but independent is fine, if you provide a link to a screenshot displaying the original graphical style). To provide an example, some people have recreated the original Maniac Mansion characters in a vaguely Day of the Tentacle style, on a (now locked, consequentially) thread in the Critic's Lounge. This is an example of what I'm thinking of. By no means am I going to say you should be doing anything in any specific style - I'm even going to say that if someone thinks they want to do Sam & Max as a realistic Dog & Rabbit, instead of the Purcell style, that's their prerogative. So both graphical and/or stylistic re-imaginings are welcome - I'll leave that decision up to you, I just want to see characters as they could have been in another graphical style.

As far as technical limits go, I don't want to put too many limits on what you can do, but I do want you to stay within the limits of the graphical style you choose. Which means that if you're doing an EGA style character, I want to see a sprite that would've fit in a standard resolution for the era. Use common sense.

Good luck, my children.

Go, and play!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Moox

space boy

Khris

EDIT:

Entry: Zoe from Dreamfall in TheDig style (well, similiar at least; reference).

x2
(14+T)

cobra79

Ned Flanders Pixel Style

12x40

3x

(Are there any Simpsons games? I don't know, but most likely... If not then disqualify me.)

yarooze

One of the best games ever made: "Star Control 2" for...

ZX Spectrum.  8)

Syreen penetrator sprite and cockpit view. (please PM me if you can't see the images. There were some problems.)

Here is the original game:
http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sc1/sc1scr/battle2.jpg
http://uqm.stack.nl/wiki/Penetrator
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

ZX Spectrum:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum
My Blog

TheJBurger

The comedic spin-off of the Half-Life series:
Half-Life: Adventures (1992)

13 Colors + Transparency

Reference: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/thumb/f/f8/300px-Gordon_Freeman.jpg

Afflict

Krysis

buloght

I remade the dragon from Warcraft Adventures in oldskool style, just a style, for low-ress game. So deathwing (I believe his name was, not sure) in more cartoony low-resness, 15 + 1 colours haha.

Here is my reference from the screenshot in warcraft adventures

space boy

Not an entry

Don't listen to the lies! The first ever tomb raider game was made for the commodore 64!
Here is proof!

2x   

Afflict

OMG  :o

Unbelievable! Well done Buloght! I think I have a new fav piece form you  ;D

Stefano

No way, Buloght! That's fantastic... I'm so jealous! ;D  I'm saving this one before you decide to delete it.

Ps. Oops! Am I allowed to post entryless posts?
Trying to make my first AGS game.

greywolfe

i dithered for a /long/ time.  couldn't think of a good sprite to do anything with, and then, while doing a google search, i stumbled upon keepsake.  which i'd dimly played.  anyhow.  it struck me that i was looking for a game with a wolf or a bear in it that i could use to do my sprite and...zak was a wolf.

so, here's zak, in cga from the nineteen eighties.  before his voice could frustrate everyone.

and magnified to twice the size.  palette's in the lower right hand corner.  here, you can see that i was trying to keep his markings as much the same as those in the actual game from a few years ago.  with this few pixels, it's tricky, but fun to try.

some sources:

a picture of zak, courtesy of quandryland

the colour graphics adapter page on wikipedia

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

BTW, what game is "Zak" from? The screenie rings no bells. Which is also to say, it would be might kind of you to include the game's name in your entry post.

EDIT (after the next post) - Ah, so you did. My apologies, I just skimmed your text and missed the game's name due to the non-capitalisation and my initial confusion (the first word that registered was Zak, and that reminds me of McKracken, accourse) - "stumbled upon keepsake", for some reason, just didn't register.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

pslim

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Sat 04/08/2007 19:54:03Which is also to say, it would be might kind of you to include the game's name in your entry post.

He did; it's called Keepsake.

SpacePirateCaine

Alright, boys and girls, the cutoff date has come and gone - and therefore, it's time to announce the winner: I'd like to give everyone feedback, but sadly I'm between a trip to the regional immigration office and going to work, so this needs to be kept brief.

First, I'd like to say that this was a great contest - everyone had some awesome stuff to submit, and I'd love to see entire scenes at some point, but as usual, somebody needs to be the winner. I think nobody will dispute that Buloght's deathwing is technically and artistically awesome. And for that reason, I'm gonna give him the win for this competition.

I'd like to thank all participants for entering, and I'm looking forward to competing with you all in the next jam.

Arr!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

buloght

Thanks spc, I'll make a new one quick.

Thanks stefano and afflict :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk