Janitor's Room

Started by Privateer Puddin', Tue 31/07/2007 23:54:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Privateer Puddin'

I think it's OK but looking for some tips

Not sure about shadows, the back of the tank looks odd with its surroundings being darker.

My plan is for an npc to be standing at the little box on the tank, with the television in sight so that aspect needs to remain and the red thing on the door is a jacket that is needed so it needs to be in the room.. but it could be moved /me shrugs

I will be cheating when it comes to palette, but for now I'll stick to 16.

Thanks

Babar

The highlights on the top of the cylinder thing seem too random.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Captain Lexington

Nice!

I like the shadows, etc...

But it looks a bit big for a janitor's closet.

Maybe bring the back of the room ahead a little? Maybe just those last three rows of tiles.

Maybe it's just me, but the pipes (at least the pipe going into the big green tank) should be thicker, like two pixels.

And what's that big pink thing on the door?

EDIT: What's with the dimensions? When I loaded it into PSP to do a paintover, it was all squished.

Khris

Some small edits:

-tried to correct perspective of tank, shaded it
-darkened seams
-removed shadow of box on the right

@The Orator:
It's C64 style, double-wide pixels.

Captain Lexington

Quote from: KhrisMUC on Wed 01/08/2007 00:19:32
The Orator:
It's C64 style, double-wide pixels.

Thanks, Khris.
You live and learn!

Stupot

I like the image, but it doesn't have enough going on.  A janitor's closet would be cluttered and full of tools and rags and mops, buckets and the rest of it.

I did a very quick paintover just testing what the BG would look like with some silhouettes in the foreground. I also put some shelving up and a ladder there for him to reach the shelves.

Even with all this going on it's still too tidy and clean for a janitor's room, but you see what I'm getting at?

Ali

A few thoughts:

If the floor is a reflective as the highlights suggests I think we should be able to see the boiler and the crate reflected in it. I'm not sure how you'd do that with only 16 colours.

From the positioning of the lightbulb, the shadows around the room are inconsistent. The back wall shouldn't be a great deal darker than the other two, and the shadows of the pipes shouldn't be at the same height as the pipe. Imagine a line drawn from the light source, through the pipe onto the wall, that would indicate the position of the shadow.

I also think the pipe on the right hand side would be clearer if it didn't coincide with the vertical line where the walls join. There seems to be an optical illusion going on there too. The pipe runs upwards in the far right corner, but joins the ceiling almost as if it came from the centre of the room, like the pipe on the left wall.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Figured you might benefit from my advice since I've been doing art in this style for some time now.

1.  Changed the color palette to c-64 colors.  This gave me a better range of grays to work with.

2.  Altered shadow placement.

3.  Reshaded the tank and floor with the light in mind.

4.  Made the door much taller.  If you look at a doorway in your house you will see that it typically stops about a foot (sometimes less) from the ceiling.  This also makes the tank seem less gigantic by comparison.

5.  Saved the image in double-wide format.

Hopefully you weren't drawing this image with a single pixel brush and stretching it afterward, not because it's cheating (who cares if the result is good) but you will almost always end up with objects that are too wide as a result. 

Privateer Puddin'

Right, thanks all.  I'll reply to some stuff but I've noted everything and will carry on working on this room for a while yet.

Stupot: Yeah it is too empty and your paintover illustrates that well, thanks :)

Ali: Yeah, the backwall shouldn't be that dark really, i did try with some kinda light circle on that, I think it's just something I got into a habit of doing, doing the back wall a darker shade of the other ones.

ProgZmax: I did think I could have asked you just as I posted here ;)

I changed the palette while drawing it, it started like:

I started off with what looks to be same as yours, this one but I was given this one to try.

I drew the lines for the walls, floor ceiling etc with single pixel, then changed pixel aspect ration in photoshop to do everything else, so saving it out would give me the 160x200 version which I'm currently using with the AGI plugin (though I could change mode and save the double width version)

Buckethead

What kinda like caught my eye is that the floor tiles are pretty detailed while the walls are not.

radiowaves

Since when are spiderwebs shiny?
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Stupot

Quote from: radiowaves on Thu 02/08/2007 12:54:22
Since when are spiderwebs shiny?

They can be very shiny if they are thick enough and recently made.

accolyte

Well, I don't know if this is of any help but here are some suggestions. To me the lamp looks a little to long. Perhaps you should consider shortening it a bit? Also you could try adding a stainless-steel sink to the room if there is space for it. Otherwise than what's been said already it looks good. Just work on it a little and you will have a nice room. ;)

Nine Toes

You could probably do with one of those janitor carts, or at least a mop and bucket.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk