Tune Contest (27. Aug - 5. Sep)

Started by Jens, Mon 27/08/2007 12:55:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

Hey,

okay, I've tried to come up with something and here is the topic:

Chemical Reactions

Write a tune that describes a chemical reaction and underline it with a short text and/or a descriptive picture.

Here are some exemplary ideas:
What does it sound like when rust eats up a piece of metal (pic)?
What's the sound of electrons circling inside a battery and creating electricity and what would be a fitting music(pic)?
Can you imagine a clashing heroic music when a light stick is lit (pic)?
Explosions, a wildfire, freezing water,... choose whatever you want.

Please use a link that directly leads to your song (like on http://www.box.net as bartillier proposed).

Darkmonkey

I'm not quite sure I understand this, it seems like we are supposed to reenact a chemical reaction but that doesn't seem very convievable. Maybe something a little more realistic?

radiowaves

Theme is fine for me!
This just time to be creative, and you can even do without any musical skill I guess.
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

InCreator

Or maybe improvise.
I cannot really imagine making a tune based on chemical reaction only... it sounds dull.
So I decided to express a chemical reaction within a specific environment... I hope it still fits the rules.
And I'm not too sure but condensation is still chemical process, right? If I missed totally, then count fog as haze...

http://www.increator.pri.ee/muz/fog.mp3

As water vapor begins to condense into liquid water, it will be visible as fog, covering tall cities Man has built and once again shows the power of nature against most ambitious lifeform on planet Earth. It surrounds everything and separates humans from each other, making it impossible to see each other from farther away, even though millions of people are together in relatively small area.

So, I imagined the fog forming (ambiency, water-drop-like-sounds) in a big city (urban style beat, techno, choirs as in a sci-fi movie scene) separating things so they cannot be visible and everyone inside fog is somewhat alone (pianos & sad tune, trademark for songs about loneliness).

Phew.

Tuomas

Great tune man. I didn't even realise my player was on repeat, but even though it looped, it never got boring or anything.

I'll try and make an entry here, record something fun :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I don't really have time to enter and I don't usually comment on stuff like this but I think you did an awesome job with that tune, InCreator.  It definitely sets a good ambient mood (and the bass turned my subwoofer into a fan!).  Good stuff!

Jens

InCreator, a chemical reaction with a specifical environment is perfectly okay. That's even what I thought of. In my opinion, your text and picture about condensing/condensed water are very well in a line with the music.

The main difficulty of this contest is probably to find a good topic for the tune. Here is another "process" to describe what I mean: clouds that find together high in the sky; electricity builds up; more tension; a short thunderstorm; tension is released.

A good way to find ideas is to anthropomorphise atoms, molecules, electrons (e.g.: What does a water molecule feel when it's heated? - It starts to tremble and to shake drastically - a threedimensional "earthquake"; finally it loses the fight and breaks up from its friends, changes the form and travels to heaven to find itself in a new, "spiritual" body).

More experimental (a bit less melodic) tunes are fine, too.

Darkmonkey

And is music made with RL instruments when recorded also ok?

Funkmast

Greetings from germany to you guys! I'm Funkmast and i thought that taking part in a tune contest is the best way to introduce myself to this community ;)

Well, it was friday night and i couldn't find any sleep. So i took a walk in the park. When i returned i heard strange noise out of my living room. Getting closer to it i realized that there was something creepy happening in my living room. So i opened the door to my crib. Holy lord! My super nintendo entertainment system was going up in smoke! I tried to turn off the console. But in the same moment something hit me and i travelled trough time and space! Low density polyethylene reacted viciously with random length polymers! H2C2 + poly(oxy-1,2-ethanediyloxycarbonyl -1,4-phenylenecarbonyl), OMG!

Then after horrible minutes in the time vortex i found myself on a mutant island inside of a snes game...

http://www.file-upload.net/download-386412/ToxicShwain.mp3.html
Sorry that it isn't a direct download link, but you just have to click that download button on the page. I hope you enjoy it.

kaputtnik

Photosynthesis I can't come up with, but phtosynthesizing is what's on tap from now on!

carbon dioxide + water + light energy → glucose + oxygen + water

Yeah, looks simple, yet isn't. I know, I have tried, more than a slight green patina wasn't in for me.

http://www.box.net/shared/3spq8a2zp3

I, object.

Pling!

Look at those two crackpots! Carelessly selling anthocyanin to the red blood cells in order to make them carry more oxygen. And who thinks of the consequences? Nobody? Fine, but just wait until the white police blood cells get to know that...

http://www.file-upload.net/download-389519/blubber.mp3.html
Sorry, I couldn't sign up at box.net

maaark

The forming of a seashell.
I don't know much about chemical reactions so I won't go into details.  ;)

http://www.box.net/shared/37lub2zhfh

LGM

This is a simple reaction.. But when heat meets water, steam is created, and it floats into the air or clings to transparent surfaces, creating a fog that can only be lifted when it is rubbed away. It is very beautiful, but also creates a feeling of melancholy.

Steam Crawling on Windows
You. Me. Denny's.

radiowaves

Here is my entry:

http://www.box.net/shared/c1l3dxnazi

I described the formation of stalagmites as the water flows and carries all kinds of minerals together. As time passes, salt formations grow bigger and bigger until there is no water dripping anymore.

Its not much, but at least I tried. These challenges make a good practice! Most of the sounds are handcrafted with a mic and houshold items btw :)
I am just a shallow stereotype, so you should take into consideration that my opinion has no great value to you.

Tracks

Recluse

I could go into the difference between a physical and a chemical reaction, but I shall instead refrain from interfering with the creative process.
All your verbcoin are belong to us.

LGM

Oh I know mine isn't a chemical reaction. But I'm lazy.
You. Me. Denny's.

Jens

The contest has ended and we had very good entries here. I love almost every song, but have to decide on a winner, that is:

maaark with his "seashell".

It is a very lengthy and moody song that perfectly fits to the process he wants to describe with it. As I did with all songs, I closed my eyes and tried to imagine the scene while listening to it and could really see how all the small elements in the sea are circulating through the water and are slowly finding together; uniting in a playful way, almost dancing (what is underlined by the 3/4-measure-thing that I connect those rotating walz-dancers with). The choice of instruments (high instruments to describe the small things, big instruments with long notes to describe the whole process) does a big deal, too.
The lovely seashell-theme is going through different variations with no noticeable unfitting breaks in between. Music becomes stronger and more intense - like the seashell during its creation - until the rock guitar plays some hard final chords in the end - when the once invisible particles of the sea have formed a hard, thick shell.

There are also the other good entries like kaputtnik's photosynthesize. The natural percussion (hand struck drums) fits to the natural chemical (biological) process that is taking place. The rhythm and the bass notes gave me the impression of an organism that is pumping life-energy through its veines. In my opinion it did not have as much variation as maaarks tune and could elaborate the theme some more.
Also, there is radiowaves' "stalagmites" that I can imagine well along with seeing a time-lapse-recording of developing stalagmites...

Thank you for participating everyone. It was fun to listen to all the results.

Obi

Oh well better luck to me next time

InCreator

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk