Tune Contest (6 Sep. - 16 Sep.)

Started by maaark, Thu 06/09/2007 18:27:29

Previous topic - Next topic

maaark

Freaks of Nature.

This contest is called Freaks of Nature because I want you guys to make something that is in a way very normal, but also very strange. For example; you could use a standard scale, but put a very strange abnormality in it. Or have some sudden weird effects or chord changes.
As long as the "normal" factor stays visible.

For instance, when you look at a picture of these siamese twins:

You can obviously see two babies that would've been very normal... if they weren't stuck to each others head that is.

Or look at these hands:

They're normal hands, but they can do something that's kind of freakish.

Wow! What's this!

It's a photoshop of me without glasses by a friend of mine... Four eyes! That's two too many!

I think you get it now. So, ordinary things with a very weird twist that you don't see coming. Or do. Be creative!

(Also, please use a link that leads directly to your song. Yes... again.)

boojiboy

Funkmast

Hammerite

i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Jelfish

@Funkmast

Interesting lyrics!  Did you write that for this contest?

Funkmast

obviously i didn't write anything for this song. I just recorded it. And yes, i've done it for this tune contest!  :-*

djres

http://www.mediafire.com/?425gzt0zzzt

This topic inspired me to salvage an old beat that I had abandoned long ago.  What do you think?

Hammerite

here's hoping that maark will be here to review soon.

maaark

Hey.
Well I live in the Netherlands and the 16th won't be over until midnight. (GMT+1 I believe)
Tomorrow I have to go to school but might be able to review in the evening.

So, if you have to finish something, there's still time!  ;)

Oh and djres... does your track count for the competition?

Jelfish

Are you referring to the fact that it wasn't written for the contest?  I've always assumed that we were supposed to write something new specifically for each contest (as a composition exercise).  That's not to say that older stuff is not good.  But it might not be so fair to submit a lifetime masterpiece when other people work hard to make something in the given 10 days.   I haven't been here too long, so I don't know what the convention is.  It would seem too difficult to enforce anyway.

Hammerite

i think it's happened before, and the guy's entry was entered

maaark

First off; all tracks inspired me. These aren't things you hear every day and all the tracks were very original. I certainly learned something (freakish?) from all of them. It was hard to pick a winner...

The winner is: djres!

Reviews:

- Boojiboy: What a funky freak! There are things I really like about your track; most of the funky loops, in some places the wah-effect and the strange build-up (too bad it's followed by a fade-out). Sadly, the wah-effect gets annoying over time. That and the pad make it just a little too corny.

- Funkmast: Indeed a Freak of Nature. I don't feel comfortable with the things I hear but still they're very recognizable. I like how it starts with something along the lines of Happy Birthday... and then converts into something totally different. Too bad it's only 1:21. You could've gone much further. I like the vocals and the grainy production; they suit the DIY/"I just recorded it" mentality. I'm not liking the choir-samples though. Nice little track, overall.

- Hammerite: Wow. Like standing in a dicotheque while on some weird brain-altering drugs. Again, too bad it's short and doesn't really go places. Beside that, it's a freak... but not really a freak of nature. More like a freak of alien nature.
A really nice experience nonetheless.

- djres: Amazing! The lo-fi beat and some of the effects remind me of post-rock, but not quite. I can also hear something like a sitar in the background. I really like the rhodes-like piano.
At the 3:00 mark the beat comes in WAY to loud but it seems to blend in later. A strange effect.
I think after that point the track gets too distorted, while it's a nice effect with the keys which stay clean.
Also, the production of the track is a bit too lo-fi.
Overall, the very organic mix between beats, weird effects and totally different instruments like sitar, rhodes and synths make this track a mesmerizing winner. I'd really like to know more about the way it's made.

Congratulations all! :D
Looking forward to the next compo...

Hammerite

djres

Hey, wow, thanks man.   With all the other great entries I thought for sure I wasn't going to win, so I didn't check back until today.  Great job to everybody, this was a fun one.  I will have a new topic later today.

Hammerite

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk