Sprite Jam - sep 27th - Steampunk

Started by Brad Newsom, Fri 21/09/2007 20:07:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Newsom

It is currently 1865 ad, Britain is currently at war with the Ocean Colonies (a civilization of humans who sought to escape mans laws and justice to seek piracy and war) aka the Sharath. Technology in the 19th century consisted of steam based sky ships, cars, guns, cyborgs, etc.

(Research Steampunk on the internet, some good examples are Jules Verne's stories, Steamboy.....or just go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk)

Objective:
Option 1: Make a steam based vehicle
Option 2: Make a steam base Warship
Option 3: Make yourself in 19th century clothing additionally with something steam based (Weapon? Battle suit?)

Restrictions:
24 colors + transparency
110 x 110 pixels

Optional:
Try to restrict your color scheme to a rustic/brownish color set.

Competition ends on Thursday 9.27.07

pslim

The rough draft:                                                   and the final: 

2x

20 colors + transparency (according to IVIEWER). Loosely based on this photograph of Beau Brummel:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/BrummellDighton1805.jpg

I adore this topic. I'm thinking about doing one of the other options for fun.

sharksweetheart

Ooh! So that's what this is called; I've always liked this era of clothing. I'm definitely entering.

I'm actually working on sprites for a game that has a similar (albeit more colourful) style right now lol, I'll probably end up putting my entry to use.

Akatosh

Indubitable, Murphy, I do say!

16 colors + background + bad attempt at lo-res gradients + extra suckitude. I really, really like this theme, but I'm completly inept at drawing, but still.

Afflict

Nope sorry thats not him his monical is on the wrong side.

space boy

110x110, 23 colors

Light executioner - one of the smaller warship classes in the fleet of the Ocean Colonies.

2x     

Brad Newsom

LeafThief

LeafThief

The British Battle Ski:
14 colors

2x

Brad Newsom

Woodban, which entry would you like to use as your final entry?

LeafThief

Brad Newsom

4 hours before I choose a winner. If anyone has yet to enter, enter now.

Brad Newsom

The winner of the Steampunk comp is SPACE BOY! Honorable mentions goes to pslim for an interesting hat which I wouldn't mind having, and Woodban for an interesting go at a snow sled.

Space Boy won the competition mainly because he stuck with the story and create an interesting design for the ocean based civilization. Congrats!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteSpace Boy won the competition mainly because he stuck with the story and create an interesting design for the ocean based civilization.

QuoteOption 1: Make a steam based vehicle
Option 3: Make yourself in 19th century clothing additionally with something steam based (Weapon? Battle suit?)

If you had rather someone kept with the story, and it was such a decisive element in choosing the winner, it would have been better to have made it clearer, no? Objective 3, in particular, does not seem to have to relate to the story at all.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Brad Newsom

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Fri 28/09/2007 09:33:45
QuoteSpace Boy won the competition mainly because he stuck with the story and create an interesting design for the ocean based civilization.

QuoteOption 1: Make a steam based vehicle

If you had rather someone kept with the story, and it was such a decisive element in choosing the winner, it would have been better to have made it clearer, no? Objective 3, in particular, does not seem to have to relate to the story at all.

It was only a plus. I didnt say you had to stick with the story.

space boy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk