Tune Contest (October 12th to 23rd)

Started by nihilyst, Fri 12/10/2007 20:47:55

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

Hi, everybody!

This competition's topic is

THE ISLAND

Imagine a small island in the middle of a huge ocean. There's not much to see there, but it has four extraordinary places to visit:

a) The Volcano
On top of the volcano, that reaches into the sky in the middle of the island, you can watch the fires blaze inside. It looks calm, but it might erupt sometime.

b) The Silver Beach
In the north there lies a beach with sand of silver. When it's night, magical creatures come out of the water and make it glow.

c) The Jungle
In the south lies a dense jungle full of odd looking creatures and plants. The air is damp, the trees high, and insects are flying all around.

d) The Village
Near the Silver Beach you can find a small village of primitive people. They pray to a nature god, whom they see in a gigantic tree near the village.

Make a tune that fits to one of these four locations. You can be creative within the given theme, i.e. if you compose a tune for the beach at nighttime, when all the magical creatures appear, that's as well okay as composing one for the beach at daytime, when nothing happens. You could also combine some of the motifs given.

Best would be, if one could tell the location you chose by merely listening to the tune.

This competition ends on the 23rd of October, giving you 11 days.
Have fun!

cheers
nihilyst

Hammerite

I look forward to doing this, but I need to get a replacement mp3 player (a.k.a. recording studio) first.
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Tuomas

Count me in this time, I'll get creative on monday ;)

Haddas

This one might be a bit tricky, but it should soon be clear what it's about.

Spoiler
It's the Volcano. You can hear the wind and see the whole island from up there. It's beautiful place. Calm, peaceful. But something is about to go horribly wrong...
[close]

http://www.pabsoft.net/temp/haddcore_magmify.mp3

Hammerite

Just made this using some midi instruments and sound editing software.

PLACE:
Spoiler
it's "the silver beach", tried to make it as atmospheric as possible.
[close]

http://www.box.net/shared/agbv3oty6v

:)
i used to be indeceisive but now im not so sure!

Tuomas

I'm a bit late, but still within limits. I was going to do more, but decided to get intuitive. As I see it, if I write what I feel when I think of the subject, maybe you will get it too when listening to it. And that was part of the contest. here's a rough version of what I thought for you:

song

Spoiler
It's the silver beach too. Fits my mood perfectly atm. You're on a walk on tis beach, and suddenly you realise you've gone a bit too far and it's getting dark. So you start back, only to realise, that you can't move. You are stunned by the beauty of one million spirits rising from the ocean to the surface, and a sudden warmth surrounds you. The spirits glow in colours of white and blue, of phosphor. You feel a strange presence in them, and you feel it taking over you as you fall on your knees. You are full of wonder, full of astonishment and love, and soon, you are one of them. For the night.
[close]
:D

nihilyst

Okay, time's over, and here are the results ...

Hammerite: I catched the atmosphere, but your track was a bit too background for my taste.

Tuomas: Your track caught the mood quite well, I really could imagine the whole seen. In the last part it sounded a bit like in the daytime, though, but it fits nevertheless.

Haddas: I like, how your track evolves from a not completely peaceful mountain top to a dangerous volcanic trip.

I range between Tuomas and Haddas, but decide, that Haddas will be the winner of this competition. Thanks for participating. You did your job quite well.

Haddas

Hurray! \._./

Expect a new competition within the next hour.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk